Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG acquires 4.61% stake in Norwegian

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
Putting LEVEL in Gatwick to canibalise the core BA business would be a bit odd. Manchester, Edinburgh etc may make more sense, given that Barcelona seems big enough to make it work.
I agree, I was thinking BA do have a value proposition upfront that attracts a slightly different market segment, premium market if we want use that word thats thrown about within BA. DY don't have lounges, BAEC benefits and CW or F cabins at LGW, so you can continue to compete in Y and after all it will all go into IAG's coffers. Or take the DY Long Haul slots and pass them over to BA for greater LH expansion, we all know LHR is full. It's all speculation of course Interesting to follow.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
.... we all know LHR is full.....
BA is doing a lot of short haul slot sitting at LHR, and needs more short haul aircraft at LGW, put a DY B787 in the slot that’s been warmed for it at LHR and move the spare A319/20 to LGW. Win win for BA.
dylanks and rockflyertalk like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I agree, I was thinking BA do have a value proposition upfront that attracts a slightly different market segment, premium market if we want use that word thats thrown about within BA. DY don't have lounges, BAEC benefits and CW or F cabins at LGW, so you can continue to compete in Y and after all it will all go into IAG's coffers. Or take the DY Long Haul slots and pass them over to BA for greater LH expansion, we all know LHR is full. It's all speculation of course Interesting to follow.
They use the No. 1 lounge at LGW. Though to be pedantic, that would be DI since they are used for the premium seats on long haul flights. The AOC mess can be confusing and why I just use "Norwegian" to refer to them.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
They use the No. 1 lounge at LGW. Though to be pedantic, that would be DI since they are used for the premium seats on long haul flights. The AOC mess can be confusing and why I just use "Norwegian" to refer to them.
DI is used for Norwegian Air UK Flights, including economy.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
DI is used for Norwegian Air UK Flights, including economy.
I thought all long haul out of LGW was on the DI certificate. Obviously it include economy since it would be the entire aircraft. They do operate DY flights to LGW, but those do not get lounge access since it's only the long haul flights that get it.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC
For the sake of technicality debates....Norwegian it is.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by richardwft

BA is doing a lot of short haul slot sitting at LHR, and needs more short haul aircraft at LGW, put a DY B787 in the slot that’s been warmed for it at LHR and move the spare A319/20 to LGW. Win win for BA.
Except the slots are not slots but slot pairs. They can only be used as a paired take off and landing slot. Getting to LAX or DFW and back in 5 hours would be quite a challenge. Life is not that simple.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended

Don’t BA slot shuffle at LHR?
Old May 22, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by rapidex
Except the slots are not slots but slot pairs. They can only be used as a paired take off and landing slot. Getting to LAX or DFW and back in 5 hours would be quite a challenge. Life is not that simple.
Not quite. Just because BA might gain a departure slot at 0900 and an arrival at 1200, doesn't necessarily equate to BA using it for a route that would allow that. If network planning team identify a route that they would like to operate or add another flight, but the 0900 worked but the 1200 didn't, they would then look at who whole operation and determine if another service could be moved around so that the 0900 departure remained but we have an arrival at say 1700. It's about optimising the slot portfolio to best fit the requirements. Look at the use of the ex-BMI slots as a good example who how BA has been able to add additional long haul capacity over the years.
Ldnn1 and rockflyertalk like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
Not quite. Just because BA might gain a departure slot at 0900 and an arrival at 1200, doesn't necessarily equate to BA using it for a route that would allow that. If network planning team identify a route that they would like to operate or add another flight, but the 0900 worked but the 1200 didn't, they would then look at who whole operation and determine if another service could be moved around so that the 0900 departure remained but we have an arrival at say 1700. It's about optimising the slot portfolio to best fit the requirements. Look at the use of the ex-BMI slots as a good example who how BA has been able to add additional long haul capacity over the years.
I agree, but this does not lend itself to the wholesale of switching slot pairs used for shorthaul services to pairs used for longhaul services.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
IATA estimate that rising costs are going to hit airlines profits

The International Air Transport Association has cut its profit forecast for 2018 by 12% to $33.8bn (£25.3bn).
Airlines' fuel costs this year are forecast to rise by nearly 30%, with the oil price expected to average $70 a barrel, up from $54.90 a barrel in 2017.
Airlines slash profit forecast as costs soar - BBC News

I wonder if that increases the likelihood of Norwegian accepting the offer. It seems counterintuitive given that Norwegian's modern fuel efficient fleet should have a comparative advantage, especially over IAG's relatively elderly fleet (BA average age 13 years, IB 10 years, DY 5 years, DU 3 years).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Worcester
It seems counterintuitive given that Norwegian's modern fuel efficient fleet should have a comparative advantage, especially over IAG's relatively elderly fleet (BA average age 13 years, IB 10 years, DY 5 years, DU 3 years).
It rather does tend to show that cost of ownership really isn't something to be overlooked in this field.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It rather does tend to show that cost of ownership really isn't something to be overlooked in this field.
Also, I highly doubt that DY’s very fuel efficient fleet of brand new RR powered 789s is providing an opex advantage this year...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:30 am

I had thought that Norwegian was sure to survive the summer, but I'm no longer convinced. Rising oil and some operational hiccups could easily mean the jig is up within a couple months.

I bet we see a very fast-tracked deal within 6 weeks.
Porky Speedpig likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:20 am

Well DNB yesterday issued a new research note saying they think DY needs another 2bn NOK in equity (ca. £200m) in order to remain compliant. Can't remember at what time, but obviously not great predictions by analysts. Personally I think they need more if they're to remain independent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.