Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Melbourne, What route is best?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Oslo is your friend. I prefer BA A380 to HKG, then CX down.

SIN is OK but the 2nd leg isn't so good for me.

I did Ex OSL on SQ all the way last month via CPH, and arriving at night was better for me than the morning. I wasn't jet lagged at all. Coming back I broke in SIN and did the day flight back to London. Id do this again.

My target price is £2k, and I've had it as low as £1,600
I flew SQ for the first time recently, to NZ.

Utterly blown away and gutted to think of the misguided CW tickets down under I have booked over the years, I honestly feel a bit stupid now given SQ was frequently available at the same price . Needless to say I am letting my BA status fall away, that was decided the moment I set foot aboard SQ.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
OT as well, but SQ has good prices in J from ARN on its route that stops at DME, through to MEL and other cities downunder.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
As another fairly frequent flier doing Europe to Mel 5 times a year over the last 5 years in J,I have used a variety of routes and carriers and havent been disappointed at all.
My dates have been flexible so I could always select (OW) carrier on cost and or expedition. Allegiance is to OW for regular BA reward seats Prg -LHR.

BA ex CRK - MEL PE (upgraded to J for the BA leg to SIN -sat facing Mrs very OF ). Nice upgrade but not a fan of BA opposite J seating . Only BA J long haul flight to date. QF Y to MEL as no PE on the A330.
BA ex SVG -SYD - B2B at SVG and the GUF J to F so a very nice and so far only BA Fexperience (A380 & 777). Avios with QF SYD - MEL 1 hr flight no dramas.
QR ex OSL -MEL - B787 and B777 / A380 (nice bar)
QR ex OSL - ADL - B787 & A350
QR ex ARN- CBR - B787 & B777
AY ex PRG -SYD - A350 & 777 (CX - nice single seat) and A380 & B747 QF (nicer food IMO)
SQ ex LHR - MEL - A380 & B777 new fit in 2014. Outstanding service and a very memorable flight although we were flying as a family and emigrating to Australia for the second time (Original alliance now changed).
Prices of course have varied from about GBP 1200 (QR sale) to about GBP 3700 SQ. Current Go To fare if no sales are on ,is a very reasonable AY fare PRG-SYD via HKG at about GBP 2400.The beauty of this fare to me at least, is that its single seat all the way from HEL if CX is chosen as the code share partner from HKG. (A350 +B777) and it is 2 night flights leaving PRG Fri eve getting to SYD Sunday am. AY pricing to Mel 30 per cent more for some reason hence the QF leg. Most desirable routing if cost wasnt a factor would be LHR /LGW - MEL.

OF

Last edited by OldFruity; Apr 10, 2018 at 8:01 am Reason: spellin
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by OldFruity
As another fairly frequent flier doing Europe to Mel 5 times a year over the last 5 years in J,I have used a variety of routes and carriers and havent been disappointed at all.
My dates have been flexible so I could always select (OW) carrier on cost and or expedition. Allegiance is to OW for regular BA reward seats Prg -LHR.

BA ex CRK - MEL PE (upgraded to J for the BA leg to SIN -sat facing Mrs very OF ). Nice upgrade but not a fan of BA opposite J seating . Only BA J long haul flight to date. QF Y to MEL as no PE on the A330.
BA ex SVG -SYD - B2B at SVG and the GUF J to F so a very nice and so far only BA Fexperience (A380 & 777). Avios with QF SYD - MEL 1 hr flight no dramas.
QR ex OSL -MEL - B787 and B777 / A380 (nice bar)
QR ex OSL - ADL - B787 & A350
QR ex ARN- CBR - B787 & B777
AY ex PRG -SYD - A350 & 777 (CX - nice single seat) and A380 & B747 QF (nicer food IMO)
SQ ex LHR - MEL - A380 & B777 new fit in 2014. Outstanding service and a very memorable flight although we were flying as a family and emigrating to Australia for the second time (Original alliance now changed).
Prices of course have varied from about GBP 1200 (QR sale) to about GBP 3700 SQ. Current Go To fare if no sales are on ,is a very reasonable AY fare PRG-SYD via HKG at about GBP 2400.The beauty of this fare to me at least, is that its single seat all the way from HEL if CX is chosen as the code share partner from HKG. (A350 +B777) and it is 2 night flights leaving PRG Fri eve getting to SYD Sunday am. AY pricing to Mel 30 per cent more for some reason hence the QF leg. Most desirable routing if cost wasnt a factor would be LHR /LGW - MEL.

OF
Great post and wishing I'd seen AY PRG as an option earlier, I love their Gin.
OldFruity likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I flew SQ for the first time recently, to NZ.

Utterly blown away and gutted to think of the misguided CW tickets down under I have booked over the years, I honestly feel a bit stupid now given SQ was frequently available at the same price . Needless to say I am letting my BA status fall away, that was decided the moment I set foot aboard SQ.
Well thats bizarre. as much as I liked SQ, I'd take BA at the same price. Their seat just doesn't do it for me.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Well thats bizarre. as much as I liked SQ, I'd take BA at the same price. Their seat just doesn't do it for me.
Bizarre rating SQ above BA?! Whatever you think of the respective seats, I think most people can grasp the concept of SQ providing a better passenger experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.