Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CW cabin LHR-LAX...which aircraft (or does it not matter)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Oneworld

Looking at LHR-LAX in the CW cabin for 2 adults and two kids (9 & 12 yrs) in December. The prices are quite good and there is plenty of availability on the 747, 787, and A380. There is no difference in price so it all boils down to aircraft type. Can anyone offer some insight; are the upper deck cabins on the 747 and 380 considered better or is the difference not worth fussing over?

Oops, forgot to mention the AA 777 also; is that any better or worse?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I believe LAX is Worldwide crew, rather than Mixed Fleet on the new contracts.

On both the 747 and A380 I'd aim to be upstairs in Club - especially so on the 747 where there's a 2-2 configuration with a better crew to passenger ratio; plus you don't have unlimited time to try it before the old girls are retired. On the 380 the it's 2-3-2 with side bins for the window seats proving useful for extra storage. That being said, other than the 747 upper deck the seats are much of a muchness.

Edit - didn't see your comment about the AA 77W. Of all the options, this is the one I'd choose: a much better seat (every seat has direct aisle access) that is lightyears ahead of CW, better lounges in Terminal 3 and the same lounge options at LAX (AA Flagship, OneWorld J etc).
Buster and Mountlodge like this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
1) AA 777
2) BA 747 Upper Deck
3) BA A380 Upper Deck
4) BA A380 Lower Deck
5) BA 747 Lower Deck
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I wolud go for the AA 777W ( 777-300) in business as the seat and IFE are very good ( all seats have aisle access also) -not sure about the 777-200 but I think they have been updated recently too.

The 747 upper deck is good but you may get the 747 with the older IFE until some of them get refurbed ( and is unique in a 2-2 configuration with only 20 pax on the upper deck)

The A380 is good in business with good IFE.. The cabin is large ( split into 2 cabins ) with very large lavtories at the front of the upper deck.

Have not flown the 787 in CW but the IFE is good.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Tricky all round this, particularly if the 747 is a SuperJ, in which case UD is the only way to go and you can stop thinking any further. I would thereafter favour the A380 upper deck towards the front since it's quiet, got the storage bins and you'll get a smooth comfortable ride and arrive in good shape. In that respect the 787 is better still in my view, in terms of air comfort, and I think the service is more personally driven too, so perhaps better for couples or for the night return. If it's a 787-9 you could try for rows 6 and 7 on the port side and take out that section. But the kids will probably be impressed by the sheer size of the A380. If the 747 is unrefurbished (which is something that we are learning about at the moment, see separate thread, but some aspects are unclear about this) then I suspect the old IFE would be unimpressive for them, perhaps less of a factor in the LAX-LHR direction.

Since the new bedding and catering, I wouldn't advocate AA, particularly in a 777 given the alternatives, unless it was a fair bit cheaper, given that you are a family group seating block,. Still, it is a good product so by no means dreadful.
dylanks likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
The AA seat marginally has the edge over BA upper deck window 747/A380s; they also have personal air vents.

But I like the 747/380 more than a 777, and the new BA catering bedding is better than AA, As is T5 over T3.

So on that basis id take the 380!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Of course if you are flying from T3 you have the choice of AA/BA/CX/QF business lounges ( unless you have emerald status in which case there is the AA/BA/CX F lounges)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
AA's catering has taken a dive over the last year or so, so I'd take a BA aircraft with an upper deck. You have a certainty of good IFE on the A380, while it's only maybe a 70% chance on the 747 on that route so if your kids are highly dependent on entertainment being provided, take the A380.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:03 pm

Quite a choice you have.

Personally, for me it would be (if in J):
  1. AA 777
  2. BA 787 (more personal, especially in the forward cabin)
  3. BA 747 Upper Deck (provided it is 86J, if not this moves to position 5!)
  4. BA A380 Upper Deck
  5. BA A380 Lower Deck
BA 747 Lower Deck would not be an option for me.

Significantly higher quality lounge options in T3 over T5.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Personally, for LHR - LAX, I choose BA269 (currently the A380 service). Not for that specific aircraft type per se (although I do find it quiet and comfortable) but because of the arrival time in LA.

The 269 departs LHR late afternoon and lands at 19.50. Factoring in immigration, taxi to hotel, quick bite to eat/drink and it’s time for an early night and a decent sleep and ready to go the next day.

The 747 service lands at 3pm and the 787 at 5pm. The 2 AA flights typically land at 4pm and 6pm approx. Do you want to force yourself & kids to stay awake for a few hours after arrival to avoid jet lag and the 4am rise the next day?
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:36 pm

Plenty of trip reports for the various configurations on YouTube if that helps.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I agree with almost everything that's been said above - I'd suggest that timing matters more than actual product. Ignoring that...

For the eastbound leg, I'd choose BA's 747 upper deck for the privacy. However, there is a little more ambient noise than the A380/789.

For westbound, I'd be tempted by the AA 777-300 but that is the only product listed that I haven't yet flown on... the direct aisle access and T3 lounges would tip the balance, but they are worth more to a solo traveller than a family.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Direct aisle access can be a bug and not a feature if your children are small enough that their ambition for independent exploration exceeds their survival abilities. In this case, at age 9 and 12, that is unlikely to be an issue, but it will be for parents of younger children.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
Don't forget AA have new bedding as well as BA

Personally I'd likely take the AA 77w but depends on price and timings as mentioned above....and who fly's directly to LAX? Come on this is FT
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
747 - 747 - 747 👍😄

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.