Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fraud booking done using my British Airways Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Hello Frequent flyers,

Today when I logged in to my British Airways account, I noticed an 80,000 avios drop in the balance. First I thought my points got expired.
But then when I looked in to account history, I saw an actual redemption.

Also in the latest search history, I see on April 04, someone tried to search flights between Beijing and Tokyo between April 09-13.
I did give a call to BA.com CS and they confirmed me that a booking was made on April 04 for party of 2 ...and the names given which more sounds like Chinese or Japanese..but definitely I am not aware of. BA locked out my account until further investigation. Its so weird that who ever did this made sure they use some other email address for the confirmation emails. They also seem to use a credit card with an unknown number and use my billing address to pay taxes around $147.

Do any one else have fraud associated with BA avios?..Also do any of you think Award Wallet could be a problem?
I am just concerned what else would be at stake after this problem.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
It is quite common in the underground economy.

Steal someone's account - milk it - drop it. That's also why you shouldn't buy status / avios / flights from unofficial 3rd parties.

Change your password, and check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only has your BAEC account been compromised, but your identity may have been stolen. The fact that someone obtained a credit card using your billing address suggests a much greater issue than one simple transaction.

Your profile does not show where you are located, so it is hard to advise. But, generally speaking you need to change all passwords for all accounts, institute a credit freeze, make certain that there are no unauthorized charges on any of your legitimate accounts and consider having those reissued with new numbers.

You should also confirm with BA that the tickets have been cancelled. That makes it a lot easier for you to have the avios refunded, although this will likely happen sooner or later anyway.
RollAnotherFatOne likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Not only has your BAEC account been compromised, but your identity may have been stolen. The fact that someone obtained a credit card using your billing address suggests a much greater issue than one simple transaction.
Not necessarily. It could be that the credit card is registered in China correctly, but the tax amount wasn't high enough to trigger a check. I know I've used a UK credit card on BA while leaving my billing address as Switzerland by mistake, and it went through just fine. The amount was only about £17 though!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:04 am

The fact that someone obtained a credit card using your billing address suggests a much greater issue than one simple transaction.
I think you're jumping the gun there. The fact that the fraudster entered the OP's address as the card address does not mean that the card used was actually registered at that address.
710 77345 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by thebigben
Change your password, and check out https://haveibeenpwned.com/
Everyone should check this excellent site and be prepared for a shock. Site hacks are so common that it’s best to assumed it’s happened, and if you use the same email/password for multiple sites then also check out 1Password.com which makes it very easy to use different passwords (1Password is now recommended by HIBP).

Was the original password still in use when you logged in, or did you have to reset it? If it’s the latter, you may find your email system has been compromised and they did a password reset on your BA account.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Out of interest, has the OP been to Asia recently and logged into his BAEC account while using any "free" wifi network?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I had my PayPal used by someone else two weeks ago. It took money from my bank account to pay someone and the goods were sent. I have been reimbursed. However, what many people don't know is, if you get a UK debit card renewal the number is still active (or even the same). Even if the house/card address is different.

EG I never used it in 8 years before this incident and it was still active. I've had three debit cards since then from the same bank but my address is different. It didn't matter, I still had money taken from my account.

The only way to generate a different card number and break the link is to get a new card sent because of fraud or suspected fraud.

So be wary.

Last edited by GlasgowCyclops; Apr 8, 2018 at 11:31 am Reason: predictive text mistakes
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by nvtech
Hello Frequent flyers,

Today when I logged in to my British Airways account, I noticed an 80,000 avios drop in the balance. First I thought my points got expired.
But then when I looked in to account history, I saw an actual redemption.

Also in the latest search history, I see on April 04, someone tried to search flights between Beijing and Tokyo between April 09-13.
I did give a call to BA.com CS and they confirmed me that a booking was made on April 04 for party of 2 ...and the names given which more sounds like Chinese or Japanese..but definitely I am not aware of. BA locked out my account until further investigation. Its so weird that who ever did this made sure they use some other email address for the confirmation emails. They also seem to use a credit card with an unknown number and use my billing address to pay taxes around $147.

I am just concerned what else would be at stake after this problem.
At the very least, you should call and cancel the ticket, fraudulently issued against your Avios (you have the right to cancel). You may not get the miles back (that is a separate issue) and will have to fight to get back the miles. But, you alone have total power to cancel the ticket. Use it!
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I think you're jumping the gun there. The fact that the fraudster entered the OP's address as the card address does not mean that the card used was actually registered at that address.
Almost all major card issuers subscribe to a service which matches the card number to at least parts of the billing address entered. That is the purpose of asking the consumer to enter that information. The only data necessary to process a transaction is the card number. The remaining information is all data protection (and idiot-proofing).
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:38 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
And this is why BA is blocking CX availability online close to departure date. I assume BA could cancel the ticket and give you back your avios?
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It's also sadly common with IHG hotels reward accounts, likely due to 4 digit pin numbers being easy to hack:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...nts-spent.html
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Your profile does not show where you are located, so it is hard to advise. But, generally speaking you need to change all passwords for all accounts, institute a credit freeze, make certain that there are no unauthorized charges on any of your legitimate accounts and consider having those reissued with new numbers.

You should also confirm with BA that the tickets have been cancelled. That makes it a lot easier for you to have the avios refunded, although this will likely happen sooner or later anyway.
The tickets seems to have been cancelled. I am glad we found out before the Fraud pax were suppose to take off. I wish they were caught.
I looked in to all my accounts and doesn't see a BA charge or the $147 taxes. Even though they used my billing address, it doesn't look like they have actually used one of our credit card.
I did place a credit freeze.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

The fraud happened when someone actually were able to login to my account. Unfortunately, I did have 4 saved credit cards with Billing addresses.
So I guess people used a new card and still made sure they use my billing address to get through BA website security.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
At the very least, you should call and cancel the ticket, fraudulently issued against your Avios (you have the right to cancel). You may not get the miles back (that is a separate issue) and will have to fight to get back the miles. But, you alone have total power to cancel the ticket. Use it!
Since I reported the problem to BA 7 hours before the fraudsters were able to take off, I was assured the tickets would be cancelled and also my account would be locked out by security for investigation.
They assured we will get back our miles. I will keep posted on how things progress.
Dambus and adrianlondon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.