Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our 1st First was not that great.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
You see, people come to the BA Forum to find and share information on BA, not ANOther airline.

I’ve selected the same words from your post as HIDDY, but for different reasons.

In a non-confrontational way as possible (since I actually like and respect a lot of your posts) I make the following observations:

- As I type this there are 293 Active Users (72 members & 221 guests). Even at a relatively slow mid-afternoon UK time of day for this forum how do you know that finding and sharing information on BA is the sole/primary reason almost 300 Active Users are visiting the BA Forum?

- BA is part of the OW alliance. While I agree that it might be strange to have too much in the way of discussions about, say, Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa, or Emirates on this forum, it is surely inevitable that there will be some discussions involving OW ‘ANOther airline(s)’. This is evidenced by popular threads such as ‘Tier Point runs’ and ‘Best OW LHR T3 lounge’.

- Whether I am watching a TV programmer such as Top Gear, or reading, say, camera or car magazines, there is invariably an element of how does one product compare against similar rival products. It’s what gives us a greater degree of quality choice compared to our communist cousins. Aren’t Active Users of the BA Forum entitled to read about the opinions of the frequent fliers on this forum who fly the likes of AA, CX, IB, QR, etc when benchmarking against BA?

- If you study the thread titles of, say, the most recent 10 pages of threads on the BA Forum I would estimate that well over 95% relate directly to BA. The fact that less than 5% might not is not a cause for anguish and grief.
hugolover and subject2load like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:42 pm

-in

You see Ross, I am a very easy going chap. I'm a glass half-full type, who always tries to look for the best in people. I enjoy people, I appreciate those who serve me, I acknowledge them as a person and treat them with the same respect as I would a colleague or friend. I appreciate them for who they are and for their efforts in providing me with a service. I have had crew comment to me how pleasant and friendly I am and that they wish more passengers were like me.

What I don't understand about the BA part of FlyerTalk is the amount of venom in some replies. Some are downright rude when referring to crew, whilst others see complaining as a sport. I see a lot of anger when reading some posts, especially from those who pile-in when someone posts a complaint (or a compliment in many cases). Much of it, of course, is hyperbole.

There are of course occasions when BA get it wrong. There are occasions when crew or other staff don't do their jobs as well as we expect them to, but after all they are only human and we all have off days, and so service suffers. It shouldn't suffer, but it does and when the service or product falls short a complaint is justified. It may surprise you to know that I have made 5 or 6 complaints to BA over the last year about their failings.

So whilst some come on here and complain, and others pile-in ad nauseum (usually the same group people) and tell us how crap BA are, I fly away merily, relaxed, feeling lucky and sit back enjoying my journey ... and if the hot towel is not hot enough, or too hot, or too thin I don'y let it bother me. If the meal I ordered isn't to my tate, I order an alternative ... life is just to short to be grumpy and unhappy.

BA is not the best airline around, but it is an airline I enjoy flying despite its faults. You have your airines of choice, and I have my airlines of choice - but it is very, very tiring to be constantly told my choice is wrong and I should chose someone else's preferred airline.

EDIT: You have edited and removed a significant portion your post since I started to type this reply, but nonetheless the sentiment stands.
I agree, and I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but these incessant negative posts over things that are correctable if the passenger speaks up really annoy me.

Just like I said in one of my previous posts in this thread: treat people how you want to be treated, set your expectations from the beginning, and go from there.

If BA then fails then lets talk about it, contact customer service etc., but the complaints about things that are easily correctable, or unmentioned, are not helpful to BA or the forum.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by ibmman69
complaints about things that are easily correctable, or unmentioned, are not helpful to BA or the forum.
With respect, whether the comments are "helpful to BA" is not something I would personally be bothered about. This is an independent forum, it's role isn't to 'help BA'.

Whether the comments are "helpful to the forum" is surely a personal thing. I suspect what you really mean here is they may not be helpful to you personally, as I am sure other members can speak for themselves. It may for example be that there are other people out there contemplating their 1st First who would find the OP's account of their experience to be of interest in setting expectations. After all threads about 1st Firsts appear extremely regularly.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by ibmman69
I agree, and I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but these incessant negative posts over things that are correctable if the passenger speaks up really annoy me.

Just like I said in one of my previous posts in this thread: treat people how you want to be treated, set your expectations from the beginning, and go from there.

If BA then fails then lets talk about it, contact customer service etc., but the complaints about things that are easily correctable, or unmentioned, are not helpful to BA or the forum.
Whether they are correctable or not, or even if they have been corrected, i think it's perfectly reasonable for anyone to post their experiences on FT if they so wish. In a pinch these type of positive and negative posts are the sort of "Tripadvisor" of FT posts As we all know, hotel reviewers don't always inform hoteliers etc of good or bad points of their stay, well, some FT posters are just the same cross section of people.

When I go on to the BA, or any FT forum main page it's usually clear what the myriad of posts are about and of course, i just choose the ones i'm interested in there.
Looking through topics that you know are potentially annoying/boring (to you) is akin to picking a bar of chocolate that you know bores you, then eating it anyway and moaning about it afterwards!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Why should I (or anyone) need to not read any topic on FlyerTalk? FlyerTalk is an inclusive community where we should all feel at ease to share our experiences.
I think that was a suggestion to help you avoid the weariness you claimed to suffer from reading threads which don't share rosy views on BA. If you see a title expressing dissatisfaction with BA then your first defence against distress is surely to move quickly on.

But it's great that you manage to overcome ennui, and read on, loins girded for yet another skirmish. Yet surely you've noticed these interventions inflame discussion, keeping alive a thread that might well sink in a day under the weight of others debating serious stuff like TP runs.

You see, people come to the BA Forum to find and share information on BA, not ANOther airline.
and for some it's likely helpful to read advice that they might be better off shifting to Qatar, American or even ex-alliance Lufthansa. Equally they might well be reassured by other comments that BA really is the best choice.

I have received a number of PMs after the sender had read topics where I had been ganged up on because I have shared a positive First experience where they too wanted to say how much they had enjoyed their flight, but they felt uneasy about sharing their experience for fear of also being set upon. That should never happen, but sadly it does because some take a rather aggressive tone in dismissing those who have enjoyed their experience.
Oh dear

BA is not the best airline around, but it is an airline I enjoy flying despite its faults.
But I'm sure that others might not possess your easy going nature, might not be so ready to forgive faults in first-cass travel, and seek out those better airlines. That's where the threads comparing BA with other airlines could be useful. Anathema to you, but useful to them.

....it is very, very tiring to be constantly told my choice is wrong and I should chose someone else's preferred airline.
This is an odd interpretation of what's going on. You choice is what it is. I don't think anyone is saying your choice is wrong: more, posters are telling us that they made the wrong choice.

I'm pretty certain that nobody has suggested you should fly on any other carrier than the one you favour.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by offtothehills
Looking through topics that you know are potentially annoying/boring (to you) is akin to picking a bar of chocolate that you know bores you, then eating it anyway and moaning about it afterwards!
That seems like such an apt metaphor for the subset of FTers who think that BA is the worst airline on earth (or something like that), who nevertheless repeatedly choose to spend their money on tickets to fly on BA, and who then post equally repeatedly on FT about how dreadful BA is when compared to the competition.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
@IAN-UK it appears you miss the point of my post.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This is a fun thread
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That seems like such an apt metaphor for the subset of FTers who think that BA is the worst airline on earth (or something like that), who nevertheless repeatedly choose to spend their money on tickets to fly on BA, and who then post equally repeatedly on FT about how dreadful BA is when compared to the competition.
Just musing, but I wonder if the phenomenon is a consequence of those captured by convenient networks and investment in BAEC encountering declining standards on BA.

To expand, personalise and deepen the metaphor: like a Badoit fan trapped in a Yorkshire village offering only inferior bottled waters
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by brunos
This is a fun thread

We Brits love a good moan, lets face it
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:33 am

Is this still going? FT's BA Reputation Protection really are their own worst enemies!

I think you'll find the reason negative threads are so popular is that said task force get so emotionally involved thus making them so entertaining, as IAN-UK said, extending their life far beyond expectancy.

Some of us have to fly BA, there is no choice, and whilst I have never taken photos of a stained toilet or got upset at CC who "do not engage" , I like to see how others who do feel about the service.

Some of us have no choice in our choice.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
There's also an underlying frustration that it seems to be however many comments about failings in service are provided here nothing changes. This simply makes you want to keep digging until a satisfactory result appears. It's made worse for those of us who have known and flown BA for umpteen years to see the downward spiral. It's not a matter of comparison with LH or SQ, it's what BA is now that is important. It's a shadow of its former self, something I regret.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I would think most people consider flying about getting from A to B. Sure, SQ may have better service - but if I want to get from London to New York, what good is that going to be?

BA has it's niche. It is not a premium brand, but it plays perfectly to it's market (the London non-stop crowd and the aspiring middle classes through cheap upgrades).

They are in a tiny bit of trouble where premium airlines offer non-stop as well (compare number of seats on BA vs EK between LON and DXB) - but overall BA are playing the game nicely in terms of load factors and revenue. Unfortunately offering a premium product is not strictly necessary for that strategy.
hugolover likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:56 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I almost dread wading in here but hey...:

I had 5 segments on BA metal in the last 10 days. 1 F, 2 CW, 2 CE. Three flights were MF and 2 were WW.

Given what I read in some of the posts above and recent threads here, I must have been exceptionally lucky as it almost felt like I was flying a different airline. Crews on 4 of the 5 segments were exceptionally good. 1 CE flight was just okay - neither exceptional nor bad in any way though.

Status was recognized on ALL flights, CSD/CSM welcomes were made on all longhauls. Even helpful comments on my connections were provided, and in one case I was even provided with an extra bottle of water and some chocolates "to-go" as they could tell I had a tight connection and may not have lounge time.

Food was surprisingly good on all flights (Especially the new CW catering, where it felt like a world of improvement), and I always got my first choice of main on all flights. And on the day transatlantic flight, where I had a leisurely full meal, I was offered both starters, soup as well as both desserts and cheese. Plus wonderful crew who recognized loyalty.. Recognition tickets were duly handed out.

IFE worked a treat on all longhaul flights, and BA had an exceptionally interesting and diverse selection of new releases, including offerings like "Call Me By Your Name" which I think some of those much-vaunted Middle Eastern carriers might hesitate in showing.

Everything definitely met and often exceeded expectations. Of course, I wasn't expecting caviar and wagyu, or even LH/LX/AF F. Not for the competitive prices I paid for the premium cabins. Felt like great value to get me from A to B in great comfort, on convenient nonstops, and earn some Avios as well.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Back to the OP's points, please.
They clearly had an experience which was mixed. They enjoyed some bits, but did not enjoy others. There was no "hatred" of BA in their post.

Most of us on here want BA to succeed, and want BA to regain its status as a proper Premium airline. I think the CC want that, too.

Until the Senior management understand what is required from a proper Premium airline, and until they empower Customer service and CC to listen to and respond properly to Customer feedback, there will be complaints about BA which BA are unwilling or unable to address.
hugolover and Grande Annee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.