Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If it cost £3800 to get to GGL would you?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC silver
As another solely self funding leisure traveller I would say go for it. YOLO and all that.
I have became addicted to this site and reading everyones travels and TRs . I avidly read the TP run , my hat goes off to bisonrav for his latest escapades. I think the advice and help given here is outstanding.

My situation and reason to go for it.
We fly to the US on average 3/4 times a year on in the last 5 years only made it to bronze. After reading about the Tallinn run I decided to do one as a suprise for my husband to take me to silver. Having lounge access and ability to pick our seats at time of booking have been a real benifit. I will retain silver again this year with 720 teir points. Now we will be in Orlando for a month in Sept and hubby is meeting friends to play golf for a week. After seeing on the TP run thread about Lax-Pty I am now debating with myself if I should do this in my free week and attain gold. My concerns are im not overly confident at travelling and as a middle aged female I worry about my safety( esp in Pty) I bow in reverence to wickedstepmother and her travels and ( Otp-Phx tp run) but then I think well why I would only be giving my money to Mr Disney and Mr Kors ,both of whom have had plenty already. I wont actually get much more benefit from a gold card except for the ability to book exit row seats when down the back , we usually travel PE.

So repeat after me ..This is a good idea This is a good idea.
.its only money ( if you can afford it obviously) and you cant take it with you as they say and in exchange we get new experiences and memories plus a somewhat shiny new card.
Lucanesque and cgtechuk like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
When my GGL status expires, I'm going to see how quickly and cheaply I can renew it. Happy to spend up to 2 weeks flying back and forth continually for the sake of seeing it it could be done.
Hopefully there will be some sort of IHG Accelerate promo on as well so I could complete that at the same time.

As for the op's mention of holding off until his year ends, cost dependent here.
Then again, time that well, and 2 years of GGL/CCR and then a drop to silver? should it come to that.
That combined has to be worth a lot more than the initial expenditure?
Drink a lot of LPGS and it practically pays for itself

There's some dependency on how GGL changes in the near future. Might end up being even more rewarding.

As for Panama above, if you're just there the night, the Crowne Plaza is only a few minutes away on the free shuttle bus. Maybe £100 a night or 25k points.
Costs maybe £60 return into the city by cab or Uber so not cost effective for a one night stay even if some hotels are going for peanuts.

Last edited by xenole; Apr 6, 2018 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
PTY is wonderful, fantastic hotels, see the canal, experience the old city. please though be careful after the sun goes down.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
PTY is wonderful, fantastic hotels, see the canal, experience the old city. please though be careful after the sun goes down.
Sh*t. Vampires?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Koru Flyer
I had a couple of possibly transexual hookers trying to get their hands into my trousers one night. Thankfully I could wriggle and my pockets were tight enough so they couldn't get to my money etc.

A lot of shifty people in some areas but that's the same in a lot of countries.

I was more bothered about the lack of manhole covers in places and metal flaps covering cellars etc. that weren't fastened too well.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:57 am

Your fault if you haven't fitted metal covers over access points really. And obviously manholes need to be protected in such situations.
golfmad and crazyanglaisy like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
As far as the original question goes - I'd say go for it. Sounds like you can afford it and as long as you enjoy doing it/having done it whether or not it was "worth" it doesn't really matter.

@Goldensunset - I went to PTY for 3 days a couple of years ago. I am a fully paid up little old lady (well, late 60s) and it was well out of my comfort zone which consists mainly of N America and parts of Europe. I used the metro and the bus though I found the latter quite challenging. I walked alot as well and I am not sure that was always a good idea. Another time I would take my own advice and get the hotel to get me a taxi to places. I am thinking of going back later this year so it can't have been too bad. Speaking a bit of Spanish would have helped but I got by without it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'm having a similar conundrum.

I've already calculated that I'll be at 2200TP nine months into my earning year based on what's booked already. And that's without adding any of the yet-to-be-booked flying (which is often last minute, so could add another 700 to that by Christmas).

If an anticipated bonus comes in then I've got a route to Japan for 600TP in mind, which might put me circa 3500TP, 1500TP short of GGL with three months leeway to achieve it.

That's no mean feat, I s'pose: it's achieving Gold status again (again, again, and a bit). But the jokers for an F redemption to Sydney using GUF and 2-4-1 could, perhaps, maybe, just about make a £1500-ish 1500TP run worthwhile (so long as it's somewhere I want to go!).
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I was going to say a clear and sharp "No". But reading the comments on this thread - I buy a new Golf car about every 3 years, via cheap internet deals. The depreciation still remains about £3 to £4k per annum.

So I could run a wrecker, and spend my money on plane fares.

My choice.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
My sweet spot I think is 3500TPs.

By that point, I have the Gold and Silver partner cards to give away (brownie points), some GUFs (brownie points/personal comfort) and Jokers (convenience).

I think I would struggle to show any financial return on the spend but TP-creative routings plus the odd fun thing like all-F OTP-PHX for the DO are a fairly pain-free way to earn good chunks of points...

I certainly don't value the Concorde Room card as it stands - happy enough to route a few trips via LHR in F (GUF'd or UUA'd from cheapo exEU J fares) to satisfy my espresso martini fix
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Go and do it. Plenty of interesting aircraft to see at your proposed en-route airports.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:17 am

I'm looking for a TP run to Seattle at some point for aircraft. That'd be a great do actually.

Oh, and have a look at the Junkers 52 flights. Really looking forward to that one.

I recalled a Blake quote which is appropriate in this context, one of his wonderful proverbs of Hell: "Prudence is a rich ugly maid, courted by incapacity". In other words, go for it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
I hate to sound like a sour-puss, but I personally think you'd be mad to even consider spending 3800 GBP just to achieve GGL. I have been both G and GGL off and on for many years (I recently went back down to G earlier this month). I can speak from personal experience, over 100's of BA flights, that my ground/air experience was no more enhanced then being one or the other (i.e. I got upgraded more or less at the same rate, etc). For those of you that have read some of my previous threads about meal choice in F, my experience as a GGL has (more often then not) not even helped me get my first choice of entrée when inbound to LHR.

Yes, the jokers are a nice to have, but all they really do is allow you to spend Avios and money when the regular availability is not there; I generally book reward flights long enough in advance that I usually get my first choice. Jokers have rarely helped me, and more often then not expire. Jokers still require you to spend money and avios....never forget that!

Yes, the CCR is better the GF, no question about that. But I travel in paid F a lot as well, so I get this benefit regardless of GGL. That said, even when I am in J or CE I find the offering in GF perfectly adequate and I don't "miss" the CCR. Put another way, the reason I pay for F tickets is because of the inflight seat/service, the CCR is just a nice add on that I don't really care about that much (and more often then not I like the speed of the First Wing security that allows me to arrive MUCH later at LHR before my flight and miss the lounge (any lounge) out all together).

The partner cards may be nice for others, but Mrs. themax has AA Exp and BA Gold and my children are grown and living their own lives. There is not much value to me/us with this benefit.

I appreciate circumstances will differ for many, but I think you'd be crackers to part with 3800 of your hard earned money, AFTER TAX, to waste your weekends flying around for GGL status. Sorry.
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Fitch
My sweet spot I think is 3500TPs.

By that point, I have the Gold and Silver partner cards to give away (brownie points), some GUFs (brownie points/personal comfort) and Jokers (convenience).
Eh? I got to 3,500 last year and definitely didn't get any partner cards to give away, or at least it was not advertised to me that I had them. I got my GUF1x2 at 2,500 and my GUF2 at 3,500 but that was it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:17 pm

I think the point is that 3500 is enough to retain GGL status and therefore the partner cards. Not CCR though. And what the good Cruz giveth, the good Cruz taketh away (according to rumour at least)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.