If it cost £3800 to get to GGL would you?

Old Apr 5, 18, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
If it cost £3800 to get to GGL would you?

Soo opinion time, Radical thought for something a bit different, I am a leisure traveller but planning a lot of weekend trips next year and later this year as well as 4/5 big holidays planned this year,

If you could put a cost on GGL and it was going to cost you £3.8k to get there would you do it? I have priced up 3 Tier Point runs that would get me to 5k Tier points, Should I? To put this in perspective it would get me (This year and most for next year too) :

GGL Status
CCR Card
2 x GUF 1 Voucher
1 x GUF 2 Voucher
2 x GGL Redemption (Jokers)
2 x Silver partner Cards
1 x Gold partner Card
Around 100K Avios from the flights
1 x Amex 2 for 1 voucher as the spend would trigger that too.
Only need 3000 TPs next year to renew

Opinions

Another consideration is that I book the TP runs for after my year reset which will be in Jan which would involve the same cost plus another 1500Tps but would get me 2 years worth of CCR and GGL?

I know Bisonrav did something similar and it had mixed reviews but just wondered the general thoughts of others on the forum and if anything else a discussion
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No

The ony way that I would do it is if I was doing that travel anyway and the status was a side effect of the travel. No way would I spend GBP3.8k just for an airline status
Old Apr 5, 18, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
It's your money....spend it on what you want.

I bought a new motor bike and one year later it has only 26km on the clock. The wife hasn't said a thing.....yet.
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond.
Personally I would not, the most I would do is lean towards BA over another airline to combine travel I will do anyway
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
You will no doubt receive various opinions but it's all rather irrelevant. The only opinion that matters is yours and no one else will be able to provide much insight because it all depends on how much the cash spent and the rewards gained mean to you.
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
You will no doubt receive various opinions but it's all rather irrelevant. The only opinion that matters is yours and no one else will be able to provide much insight because it all depends on how much the cash spent and the rewards gained mean to you.

Agreed, I knew it was going to be a very varied response, With the vouchers and the 4x jokers being able to give my parents the partner cards to increase their avios earning on family holidays as well as their own lounge access. the GUFs would be beneficial too, Suppose if I plan ahead as to what it will cost to buy those flights outright cash next year as exEU then compare it to the cost of getting GGL would be a good start
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by cgtechuk View Post
Agreed, I knew it was going to be a very varied response, With the vouchers and the 4x jokers being able to give my parents the partner cards to increase their avios earning on family holidays as well as their own lounge access. the GUFs would be beneficial too, Suppose if I plan ahead as to what it will cost to buy those flights outright cash next year as exEU then compare it to the cost of getting GGL would be a good start
Also, don't forget that there are rumors that the renewal threshold of 3K points *may* be withdrawn. I only mention that because it was part of your original post. More information here which is of a very speculative nature:

GGL enhancements
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Apr 5, 18, 7:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
As a GGL, I would certainly say that amount of money (not to mention time), is not worth it, unless it comes as a by product from your natural travels. However, everyone sees things differently, and I truly admire Bisonrav’s dedication.

Also, likely to keep in mind is that for that money, you have priced up flights. There will certainly be hotel costs, position flights etc in addition so true number will likely be higher.

Anyways, as previously stated, people will have different opinions, but I certainly wouldn’t do it...
bisonrav likes this.
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cgtechuk View Post
If you could put a cost on GGL and it was going to cost you £3.8k to get there would you do it? I have priced up 3 Tier Point runs that would get me to 5k Tier points, Should I?
If you have found a way of earning 5k TPs for £3.8k (i.e. £0.76/TP) then please do share here as there will be a good deal of interest in how you managed it
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
With this, as with much in life, you won't know until you try it, and the journey is the thing, not the destination.

theres no fiscal justification to any airline status, not even Silver which is the best cost/benefit combo. The answer to your question is to be found in your heart, not on a balance sheet. And certainly not from the advice of jaded business travellers.
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
£3800 from nothing to GGL or £3800 to move up from gold to GGL? If any family member was willing to pay £3800 in unnecessary trips to move up from gold to GGL I’d undoubtedly start proceedings to have them certified!!!
Earthman, Tobias-UK and Yllanes like this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 6, 18 at 2:25 am
Old Apr 5, 18, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Also, don't forget that there are rumors that the renewal threshold of 3K points *may* be withdrawn. I only mention that because it was part of your original post. More information here which is of a very speculative nature:

GGL enhancements
do we want to give credence to a rumour which is based on exactly nothing so far though (a discussion with someone who has absolutely no reason to be privy to baec’s thoughts)?
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 6, 18, 12:17 am

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
If anyone would ever do this it is perhaps the ultimate proof of why airlines have frequent flyer programmes, and how they exploit psychology to make people think they are 'special' and being rewarded, when they are actually being held captive...

But yes do what is best for you. And ask those close to you if they have better ideas for how to spend the money
Old Apr 6, 18, 12:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Since OP asked for personal opinion...

Personally, I would not pay the extra between BA Gold (OWE) and BA GGL because it will only really benefit those who have to rely on BA to get around (due to work contracts, or limited routing options). Since I am able to pick other airlines for work travel it really doesn't pay for me to go past 1,500 TP if I do switch over to BAEC from AA.
Old Apr 6, 18, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
The other thing you need to consider - and I guess it applies to all tier point runs - is if you’re not able to reach this level ‘naturally’, are you flying enough to enjoy the benefits when you get them? Will your travel fall back after qualifying? What about the people on whom you wish to bestow partner cards? Will it just make their annual holiday more comfortable or will it make an ongoing difference to their own travel?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: