Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any first hand Concorde experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:09 am

Concorde was a dream

Have many contacts and expierence with BA and Concorde.
so many memories too.

R

Rare Concorde menu from Barbados

Fraser, Mike P, 'andad and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great photos. I must make that cocktail tonight!
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Qatar Airways
Have many contacts and expierence with BA and Concorde.
Out of interest, anyone know what the STD and STDSS stand for?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Steward and Stewardess.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Steward and Stewardess.
Ahhhhh, many thanks CIHY! Obvious when you think about it!
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Excellent posts, Qatar Airways!
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:22 am

Rare Barbados menu* *did not load on previous posting.
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by golfmad
From memory I think it was around 160,000 BA miles which may have gone up to 200,000 towards the end? It was also possible to redeem using miles from several other frequent flyer programmes.
Indeed - since the redemption class was Z , it was the same cost as any 1st class award - iirc it was 50k Qantas miles and 62.5k AA miles ( once transatlantic BA travel was permitted for AA awards ) one way - plus r/t about GBP45 in taxes
Old Jun 10, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think it was 45k on QF. We flew Concorde from London and First back. As it was a /Z/ redemption you just asked for BA0001. Iirc there was some promo with a magazine that gave points to SPG that people then converted to QF.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I was fortunate to go on Concorde many times - often as a £650 GBP uprade to the then ridiculously cheap RTW tickets that you could buy in First class from Barcelona. I took the Kids on Concorde Ex-CAI which cost less than £1K GBP to go F-then Concorde then F return. My Father (now deceased) was involved with the development and he never flew on it as, in his words, it didn't really appeal that much given the other flying he did. Anyway, I took him and a BA CSD, with whom I was good friends, on BA 97 as my treat (YYZ - JFK). Here is a picture of them both before we took off along with BA97 at the gate (BOAG) sitting right at the back where I liked to be as that was where the real noise was!!. There was a mini reception serving Champagne (Well Piper Heidsick Red if you call that Champagne) before boarding and the Captain got the Marilake Display to register Mach 1 (briefly) on our (less than) one hour Journey. You can ping me a PM if you think you know who the CSD is and (scarily) he does have someone who looks almost identical currently working at BA who is no relation.
RoyalSwazi and rt23456p like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by londonba2014
A few random Concorde questions..

1.) With the afterburner design of the engines; did the runway at LHR ever need a greater deal on maintenance/resurfacing when it operated?
No, it didn't make any difference to the runway.

However, the runway made a difference to Concorde....I think it was in 2002, when the southern runway was being resurfaced, Concorde had to use the northern regardless, because the ramp that delineated the border between old and new surfaces was too high for its modified (following the Paris crash) undercarriage to cope with.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
No, it didn't make any difference to the runway.

However, the runway made a difference to Concorde....I think it was in 2002, when the southern runway was being resurfaced, Concorde had to use the northern regardless, because the ramp that delineated the border between old and new surfaces was too high for its modified (following the Paris crash) undercarriage to cope with.
Re my earlier post, I took the kids in June 2003 and the Northern Runway was still in use then for Concorde. It is the one and only time I have taken off in this direction from this runway and I even have a video of it (which is not great quality) but I could post if there is interest (we spent ages before we could line up as it was being used as the landing runway at the time)
Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Looking at things to do once lockdown is over and done with, thinking about heading out to Brooklands to see BBDG.

Surprised and a little saddened to see an extractor fan fitted to the first passenger window! Suppose it’s needed for ventilation but surely there would’ve been a more discrete location..

Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Looking at things to do once lockdown is over and done with, thinking about heading out to Brooklands to see BBDG.

Surprised and a little saddened to see an extractor fan fitted to the first passenger window! Suppose it’s needed for ventilation but surely there would’ve been a more discrete location..

Agreed, but anywhere else other than a window you’d have to drill through the frame, rather than take out a window.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.

Another slow BA news day
1Aturnleft and londonba2014 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.