Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

5 TPs short of silver and need to book seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi all

Due to a cancelled flight from LBA to LHR about a month ago, I've ended up 5 TPs short of silver. My plan was to qualify in good time to select a middle pair of seats for my and my partner's trip to Antigua in CW in early May. I am actually in the process of requesting ORC, which would solve the problem, but I'm doubtful I will actually get it.

Does anyone know whether BA will either
a) let me book the seats free of charge given the reason I'm short of TPs, and that I'm so close (I'm thinking AC's recent interview!)
b) refund the seat reservation fee if I make silver before I would have had the option to choose for free anyway?

Alternatively I could do a TP run this weekend (believe I've found cheapest way to get 10 TPs at 85 quid... not bad for short notice I think? but any suggestions for 5 TPs incredibly cheap from LHR/LGW appreciated. Could use Avios on one leg.)

Or am I worrying about nothing anyway? There are currently 3 middle pairs showing 5 weeks out, plus I guess the bassinet ones at the rear of the cabin though not sure if these are blocked or booked.

Thanks for any help and advice. And sorry if this is not the right place.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Make the booking now and then select your seats once you hit silver?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Depends on how many seats are free/blocked right now. If you can give me the flight number and date I can check for you on EF. I wouldn't worry too much about getting two seats either 7 days away when the seat selection is free for you, or after boarding, when there might be no-shows or someone willing to switch seats with you if you have a decent seat in the first place.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

To guarantee it I would do the tier point run as if you leave it the good seats may have gone ( plus you will get the bonus avios as silver

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Make the booking now and then select your seats once you hit silver?
Sorry to clarify the booking is already made for the Antigua flights.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebigben
Depends on how many seats are free/blocked right now. If you can give me the flight number and date I can check for you on EF. I wouldn't worry too much about getting two seats either 7 days away when the seat selection is free for you, or after boarding, when there might be no-shows or someone willing to switch seats with you if you have a decent seat in the first place.
Thanks a lot, if you could that'd be great. It's 2157 on the 5th of May. We're both desperate to avoid sitting in the aisle or with one of us next to a stranger. I figure almost everyone on the flight will be a couple too.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
They will neither book your seats for free if you aren’t silver nor refund your seat booking fee (unless there is something like a plane change). Your three options are 1) wait, 2) pay, 3) tp run
anniegray likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

To guarantee it I would do the tier point run as if you leave it the good seats may have gone ( plus you will get the bonus avios as silver

Regards

TBS
I am leaning this way and do get to visit the family. Though it's an Avios booking to ANU. Definitely better ways I can think of spending a BH Sunday!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Ajm1987
Thanks a lot, if you could that'd be great. It's 2157 on the 5th of May. We're both desperate to avoid sitting in the aisle or with one of us next to a stranger. I figure almost everyone on the flight will be a couple too.
Looks like a Flub class (someone else please correct me if I'm wrong!)

All first seats are blocked (so 3 pairs up for grabs). EDIT: Those will open up only if club is full apparently, but there's a chance this may happen, considering a lot of the cabin is already taken.
11-14 D-G are free, and are unlikely to get taken soon in my opinion.
15A is blocked and 15B is free, and I'd think they are likely to be taken soon.

Finally, will you be going for gold? LHR-HEL-TLL prices at 500 quid for 200TP on this week-end, just in case.

Last edited by thebigben; Mar 30, 2018 at 3:37 am
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by orbitmic
They will neither book your seats for free if you aren’t silver nor refund your seat booking fee
I would agree that this appears to be BA policy, and I can find nothing in the T&Cs that would suggest otherwise.

This topic came up recently, and there is at least one report of someone paying as a Bronze and then getting a refund when they reached Silver before the flight on which they had booked seats: Pass silver next month - waive 747 UD seat fee?

I mention this really only for completeness, I would absolutely not recommend the OP go down this route. It would appear to rely on goodwill from the BA agents, and the cost of 4 CW seats is a fair amount to bet on goodwill. In light of the costs of getting 5TP vs the costs of seat selection, and the OP having expressed:

...We're both desperate to avoid sitting in the aisle...
I think I'd agree with others, assuming OP can spare the time, fly somewhere for the 5TPs to be sure and get the seats you want, then sit back and relax
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Just to add to thebigben's very helpful post, this is the seat map from EF. White is free, X is blocked (likely due to a bassinet position)

Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thebigben
Finally, will you be going for gold? LHR-HEL-TLL prices at 500 quid for 200TP on this week-end, just in case.
Haha I like your thinking but probably sticking with silver this year. Have plenty of Avios to use up.

FYI it would appear to be a FLUB to me too.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I think I'd agree with others, assuming OP can spare the time, fly somewhere for the 5TPs to be sure and get the seats you want, then sit back and relax
Agreed. TP run booked - day return to NCL and see my mum. Thanks for the help all. I bet I'll get the ORC after all of that!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Agreed. TP run booked - day return to NCL and see my mum. Thanks for the help all. I bet I'll get the ORC after all of that!
Best option to secure those 5 TP's and of course a family visit too so all definitely worth it ^

Enjoy Silver, it's overall benefits are quite good really.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Alternatively I could do a TP run this weekend (believe I've found cheapest way to get 10 TPs at 85 quid... not bad for short notice I think? but any suggestions for 5 TPs incredibly cheap from LHR/LGW appreciated. Could use Avios on one leg.)
At such short notice and over this weekend, 85 quid is probably a bargain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.