Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New BA Routes 2018: Victoria, Seychelles (SEZ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New BA Routes 2018: Victoria, Seychelles (SEZ)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Tilly71
Yep, some tablet browsers when opening up BAEC does not recognise SEZ in search, desktop usually works fine.
Also, don't rely on the monthly overview, I spent 30 mins searching manually through all dates within a 6 month time slot and found 2 x more CW availability not displayed in the monthly search facility.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:00 am

So, I’m beginning to worry a litte for our flight to Sez tomorrow, it looks like we are at risk of paying the price for opting to go during the rainy season.

Does anyone with more experience of the destination than myself have any idea of whether BA would pro-actively delay/cancel this flight if they thought they wouldn’t be able to land, given the previously discussed 1,000 mile diversion to the next suitable airports?

Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Joshm300
Does anyone with more experience of the destination than myself have any idea of whether BA would pro-actively delay/cancel this flight if they thought they wouldn’t be able to land, given the previously discussed 1,000 mile diversion to the next suitable airports?
Cancelling the flight may be a possibility, but I don't see that atm. The airport area forecast for tomorrow isn't out yet - I will check again later today - but looking at the normal forecasts the main issue is the possible thunderstorm but it may or may not be an issue depending on where it is and how long it
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Cancelling the flight may be a possibility, but I don't see that atm. The airport area forecast for tomorrow isn't out yet - I will check again later today - but looking at the normal forecasts the main issue is the possible thunderstorm but it may or may not be an issue depending on where it is and how long it
Thanks Karfa, much appreciated.

J
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:51 am

Location: Mainly East but sometimes South and occasionally West
Programs: BA Silver
Nope. Thunderstorm forecasting is not clear cut and the 787-9 can load up with fuel to loiter for a gap and still divert to somewhere suitable. (Been 3 times)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Wandered
Nope. Thunderstorm forecasting is not clear cut and the 787-9 can load up with fuel to loiter for a gap and still divert to somewhere suitable. (Been 3 times)
Thanks for that reassurance, I guess I’ll just consider it a chance to have a lie in if we end up doing a few loops of the area.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:57 pm

Mixed trip to Sez

Hi all,

I thought I’d pen down a few thoughts about this new destination as I sit here on the balcony watching the rain come down.

The flight itself was fine in club world, quite a novelty boarding a nice new 787-9 at Heathrow to head to a tiny island beach destination, rather than an un-refurbished 777-200 at Gatwick. The one thing I felt was clear compared to Virgin is that the BA crew just weren’t used to people heading off on holidays, so seemed a bit taken back/annoyed about at the constant requests for drinks refills etc. During the service. The venison stew and salmon starter were top quality though, but we were just about over Africa before they got the lights out. I was sat next to a chap who’s wife was part of the cabin crew, he’d only had his seat confirmed that morning and when we got to the luggage carousel it became clear about half the crew had friends or partners sat on the plane in various places.

Now to the destination itself as I’m sure others on here will be planning trips soon. We chose the Seychelles for our annual December holiday instead of the Caribbean and comparatively, the landscape and nature did not dissapoint. Much more varied wildlife and the beaches were stunning, If you’re fit enough certainly bring some hiking shoes for Mahe or Silloutte islands. My first word or warning though, is the weather, I was aware we were going in the wetter half of the year, but was expecting a regular sharp shower at some point during each day and then for things to brighten up. Sadly, I can confirm December is bloody wet, we have been here a week and had two days of sun and the rest solid rain, which the locals don’t seem to think is too out of the ordinary for the time of year. On the smaller islands in particular, there is very little to do in the wet, so bear this mind.

Now onto the accommodation. We have stayed at the Hilton Labriz and Fisherman’s Cove, both of which come with some words of warning. Firstly the Hilton Labriz on Sillhoutte - the hotel location is stunning and I would recommend a trip to Silhouette, especially if you’re a diving or hiking fan. The rooms and communal areas are well maintained, but If you can afford it, a beach front villa is going to be much nicer than a garden villa, the rooms were greats inside. Now onto the negatives, which is basically everything to do with the food and drink and the pricing/serving of it. None of the meals we had or the service received were worth the price paid, from over cooked tuna to cold rice, there was nothing stunning about any of it. To put things in perspective 5 pizzas and 5 drinks at the poolside restaurant at lunchtime cost us £185!! So, be prepared for this. Also, if you like a drink on your holiday, I would strongly recommend stocking up with Seybrew and whatever else you like on the mainland before heading to the Hilton as tourists aren’t allowed in the little shop on Sillouhette and the hotel drinks prices are shocking. We also saw a number of people stocking up with the food at breakfast to make lunch and taking their complimentary water to the restaurants to save the nearly £10 a bottle charges. I don’t play the hotel points game, but I suspect a lot of people visiting the Hilton are redeeming, which would take the sting out of things.

For the price paid, the fisherman’s cove was much better, all rooms face the sea, breakfast was good, the staff were friendly and the location on Beau Vallon beach is good. You need to walk a litte way down the beach for the best sea swimming, but this is no problem. The rooms are very dated though and we accessed ours via motel style steps and balconies from the car park at the back, which wasn’t nice. The thatch roof looks appalling as it’s failing to bits and our room is leaking through the ceiling, we are still waiting to see how they resolve this problem.

Due to the weather, we hired a car and have driven around a bit, which I think is the best way to see the island. I would suggest that the Constance Ephillia looks like the best hotel on Mahé, we had very enjoyable coffee stop there yesterday morning. We then had the best lunch of the holiday nearby in the Del Place restuarant just up the road. Grande Anse beach is one of the best beaches I’ve ever seen. In Beau Vallon, the Black Pearl was very good for dinner and we had good lunches at la plage and the boat house.

We have sadly not made it to Praslin or la Digue due to the poor weather not being suited to a boat trip. The rest of the family weren’t keen for the twin otter to Praslin in the weather either (god knows why not!), however these both look and sound stunting, so If I come back I think this will be where I will head.

Hopefully this is helpful. Any questions I’m happy to answer DMs. If anything spectacular happens on the flight back tomorrow, I’ll add it to this report.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:14 am

Ps. Arrival at Sez

As reported by others, this is not the nicest airport arrival you will have. When we landed on Sunday morning a Joon A340 and Emirates 777-300 were already on the tarmac. There seemed to be some issues squeezing our 787 around them and I think we ended up being towed to our final parking position. We then had about a 10 minute wait for the quarantine people to do their paperwork. It therefore took about 25/30 mins from landing to people being allowed off. Due to people in the front cabin being really slow to gather their stuff (blocking in first passengers) I ended up being first off from seat 10k through door L2 and first to immigration. Luckily they had 10 people working and had just cleared the other two flights, but my passport took about 5 mins to process and I would say people in economy could have been there for about 45 mins as the queue was massive behind me. I imagine if either of the other two flights had been late, this could be chaos. There was a also a bad queue to scan everyone’s bag at customs once collected from the carousel. This is all part of the fun of travel, but make sure you’re prepared for it after the 10 hour flight. Also, I put my shorts on during the flight, which I would recommend for all the queuing in the sweltering airport!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Hi all,

I thought I’d pen down a few thoughts about this new destination as I sit here on the balcony watching the rain come down.

The flight itself was fine in club world, quite a novelty boarding a nice new 787-9 at Heathrow to head to a tiny island beach destination, rather than an un-refurbished 777-200 at Gatwick. The one thing I felt was clear compared to Virgin is that the BA crew just weren’t used to people heading off on holidays, so seemed a bit taken back/annoyed about at the constant requests for drinks refills etc. During the service. The venison stew and salmon starter were top quality though, but we were just about over Africa before they got the lights out. I was sat next to a chap who’s wife was part of the cabin crew, he’d only had his seat confirmed that morning and when we got to the luggage carousel it became clear about half the crew had friends or partners sat on the plane in various places.

Now to the destination itself as I’m sure others on here will be planning trips soon. We chose the Seychelles for our annual December holiday instead of the Caribbean and comparatively, the landscape and nature did not dissapoint. Much more varied wildlife and the beaches were stunning, If you’re fit enough certainly bring some hiking shoes for Mahe or Silloutte islands. My first word or warning though, is the weather, I was aware we were going in the wetter half of the year, but was expecting a regular sharp shower at some point during each day and then for things to brighten up. Sadly, I can confirm December is bloody wet, we have been here a week and had two days of sun and the rest solid rain, which the locals don’t seem to think is too out of the ordinary for the time of year. On the smaller islands in particular, there is very little to do in the wet, so bear this mind.

Now onto the accommodation. We have stayed at the Hilton Labriz and Fisherman’s Cove, both of which come with some words of warning. Firstly the Hilton Labriz on Sillhoutte - the hotel location is stunning and I would recommend a trip to Silhouette, especially if you’re a diving or hiking fan. The rooms and communal areas are well maintained, but If you can afford it, a beach front villa is going to be much nicer than a garden villa, the rooms were greats inside. Now onto the negatives, which is basically everything to do with the food and drink and the pricing/serving of it. None of the meals we had or the service received were worth the price paid, from over cooked tuna to cold rice, there was nothing stunning about any of it. To put things in perspective 5 pizzas and 5 drinks at the poolside restaurant at lunchtime cost us £185!! So, be prepared for this. Also, if you like a drink on your holiday, I would strongly recommend stocking up with Seybrew and whatever else you like on the mainland before heading to the Hilton as tourists aren’t allowed in the little shop on Sillouhette and the hotel drinks prices are shocking. We also saw a number of people stocking up with the food at breakfast to make lunch and taking their complimentary water to the restaurants to save the nearly £10 a bottle charges. I don’t play the hotel points game, but I suspect a lot of people visiting the Hilton are redeeming, which would take the sting out of things.

For the price paid, the fisherman’s cove was much better, all rooms face the sea, breakfast was good, the staff were friendly and the location on Beau Vallon beach is good. You need to walk a litte way down the beach for the best sea swimming, but this is no problem. The rooms are very dated though and we accessed ours via motel style steps and balconies from the car park at the back, which wasn’t nice. The thatch roof looks appalling as it’s failing to bits and our room is leaking through the ceiling, we are still waiting to see how they resolve this problem.

Due to the weather, we hired a car and have driven around a bit, which I think is the best way to see the island. I would suggest that the Constance Ephillia looks like the best hotel on Mahé, we had very enjoyable coffee stop there yesterday morning. We then had the best lunch of the holiday nearby in the Del Place restuarant just up the road. Grande Anse beach is one of the best beaches I’ve ever seen. In Beau Vallon, the Black Pearl was very good for dinner and we had good lunches at la plage and the boat house.

We have sadly not made it to Praslin or la Digue due to the poor weather not being suited to a boat trip. The rest of the family weren’t keen for the twin otter to Praslin in the weather either (god knows why not!), however these both look and sound stunting, so If I come back I think this will be where I will head.

Hopefully this is helpful. Any questions I’m happy to answer DMs. If anything spectacular happens on the flight back tomorrow, I’ll add it to this report.

Interesting to read that there seemed to be a few staff on board - during my F trip in June the CSD referred to the flights being "a staff charter" due to the number continually using staff travel. On my return flight 6 out of the 8 F seats were occupied by staff (we were the other passengers and we were on a 2-4-1) and J had at least 16 staff too and goodness knows how many in W and Y.

One of the reasons the crew may have been reluctant to give out too many drinks is that the flight isn't re-stocked in SEZ and on our return flight the champagne ran out after the first glass after take off, the white wine ran out also during the meal service and those on staff travel in J had kicked off about the lack of drink to the CSD. The food on the return journey was inedible and absolutely disgusting - my cabin crew member was so embarrassed about what she had to serve and was so apologetic. It was the worst flight in F I have ever had.

I was lucky enough to stay in the Beach Villa at Labriz and I agree that it was worth the extra money - our weather was perfect and it was so nice to sit on the decking overlooking the beach with our duty free purchases - we bought ours at Lhr but there is a small duty free in Sez on arrival and it is worth using. I agree entirely with your views on the food - it was a total letdown and I don't think we had one decent meal during our stay.

In contrast, after our side trips to Praslin and La Digue, we spent the last few days at Beau Vallon at the H Hotel in a pool villa steps from the beach and it was a huge improvement on Labriz in every way. I appreciate everyone has their own opinion and was interested to read a review of the H Hotel recently where someone from Dubai slated the H hotel and used the following phrase

"You need to check the level of experience of the reviewers who have given solid reviews – or maybe they are just very easily impressed. "

In my previous employment I used to do hotel inspections so I don't agree with this persons outlook but each to their own.

Looking forward to reading a report about your return flight.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:52 am

Final update on return flight

Again, just to help people know what to expect, a few notes on the return flight in Club world.

Sez checkin was really poor, one line for first, one for club and one for everyone else. Probably 6 desks in total. All the queues were large, but we went in the club one assuming they’d move it quickly by using more than desk for club passengers. Sadly this was not the case and the queue took about 30 mins. This part of the airport is a tin roof with no walls, so no air conditioning for this part.

Security was actually very quick and we were in the lounge about 10 mins after checkin.

The lounge was a pleasant suprise for such a small airport, it was a lot better than Carribean airports such as uvf. With our flight and one air Seychelles flight, it was at capacity though. I think there were a lot of status passengers and their families in there, from all cabins.

The flight boarded very chaotically from a very small gate about 45 mins late. There was very little enforcement of group boarding.

The flight was generally good, slightly ruined for me by a pretty nasty DYKWHIA sat next to me (I may post about her in the relavent thread later). The crew were on good form and managed two drinks runs before the main meal service. Interestingly they seemed to service the meals on the way home starting from the back of the club cabin. The food was disappointing though, the main courses of chicken or beef were both poorly presented, quite small and completely over cooked. White Champage ran out by the end of meal one, but pink champagne remained available.

As CWS mentioned above, I would highly recommend a window seat on the right hand side for this unique day flight over Africa. The views of the white and blue Nile’s converging and then following the Nile for over an hour were amazing as well as the African landscape in general. Very annoyingly the crew dimmed all the windows for the last 4.5 hours of the flight though, so no sunset views of Europe.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:56 am

Nice to get a walk around Dreamliner before boarding.

Nile

Crop circles

The Nile

Return journey menu

A few shots from the journey

Last edited by Joshm300; Dec 17, 2018 at 2:09 am
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:27 am

As CWS mentioned above, I would highly recommend a window seat on the right hand side for this unique day flight over Africa. The views of the white and blue Nile’s converging and then following the Nile for over an hour were amazing as well as the African landscape in general. Very annoyingly the crew dimmed all the windows for the last 4.5 hours of the flight though, so no sunset views of Europe.
Thanks for the report. Just to pick up on this point blinds on the 787 should not be locked out from individual control. As confirmed by the BA cc who post on here, this is not something BA have said they should do. Sometimes they are centrally dimmed and then incorrectly locked out, but you should just be able to point this out to one of the cc who will rectify it.

On a daytime flight I don't see any reason you should feel forced to close or dim a window - I had a daytime MCT-LHR flight on the 787 a few weeks ago and the windows were not centrally dimmed or locked out at any stage.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Must say, I would not have been a happy bunny.

That poor quality CW meal is one thing, but I always select window seats for the specific purpose of looking out during daylight hours (over the years I reckon I’ve spent way more time lazily doing so than watching movies or sleeping ..... !), and so having that option denied would have been the most disappointing aspect for me personally.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
That poor quality CW meal is one thing, but I always select window seats for the specific purpose of looking out during daylight hours (over the years I reckon I’ve spent way more time lazily doing so than watching movies or sleeping ..... !), and so having that option denied would have been the most disappointing aspect for me personally.
It happens sometimes by mistake. As I said a quick word with one of the cc should get it sorted - this is my experience.
subject2load likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:36 am

old memories of the SEZ 1970's

Thanks for a great post, loved it.

I have some SEZ memories from the early 1970's.

We booked a package deal when BOAC first started operations to Mahe with one of the BEA/BOAC tour companies, Sovereign I think - The full price was £199 B&B and we stayed 2 weeks at the Northolme Guest House (now a swanky Hilton resort) The prices were at first quite low to get folk to go.
Although £199 was quite a lot of money then - I was only on about £35pw with my airline. This was a full price holiday not staff travel!
You could still get 2 weeks full board in the Med for £59 so £199 was like wow!

BUA also had the LGW-SEZ licence granted from 1970, but BCAL did not start the SEZ as an extension of their NBO VC-10 service until a year after BOAC in 1972.

The hotel did a fabulous tropical breakfast but other food cost a fortune - we were lucky to find a shack on the beach that grilled huge prawns, fish and lobster dirt cheap with ice cold beers, all followed off by freshly cut tropical fruits but it was always busy so you had to get there early and wander back up the hill in the dark!
I recall Beau Vallon Bay and the original Fishermans Cove Hotel built in 1943 and the new Coral Strand Hotel was opening. All too expensive for me.
There was a new tourist hotel down near the airport runway called the Reef I think, and all the airline crews stayed there and the hotel did all the food/catering for the flights. I recall not much of a beach though at the Reef Hotel.

We flew out on a Super VC-10 in Y class of course, but the seat comfort was very good, plus the meals and service were like a good business class in the 1990's..
Routing was via Rome, Addis or was it Khartoum? then NBO and into Mahe -
On descent to the islands we were told it was very hazy with low visibility and that we may have to go back to the mainland - Dar es Salaam was mentioned but we circled for a bit and landed OK.
The VOR let down when on limits to the Seychelles involved flying overhead the VOR, heading southeast out to sea, descending to break cloud and then turning back towards the island, peering through low cloud and often driving rain trying to see the lighthouse at Victoria and then flying along the coast until the approach lights of the airport appeared behind the hill. All good Mark 1 eyeball stuff.
The VC10 was designed for the hot high short runways of the African routes. Therefore it had an excellent take-off performance, a little over-powered from an accountant’s point of view, and guzzled fuel like no tomorrow, but much enjoyed by pilots and passengers alike.
It was a real pilot’s aircraft; lots of performance, precise powerful controls, very stable and with an ability to flatter even the most ham-fisted pilot landing it. It also had a roomy well laid out flight deck, with large windows giving good visibility, and a legendarily quiet cabin. Not for nothing was the BOAC slogan ‘Try a little VC10derness’

But it was Africa which captured always one’s heart. Flying to/from Cairo towards or coming up Khartoum along the Nile, you could see this thin green blue ribbon stretching far out ahead, winding through the vast brown desert, first far out to the eastern horizon - Luxor and Aswan, Lake Nasser then back underneath near Wadi Haifa, only to disappear in the west towards Dongola, returning once again as it wound its way east towards Atbara, and finally to Khartoum. This was indeed to see one of the wonders of the natural world.
Perhaps second only to the mist rising up from Victoria Falls seen from the air.
Coming back in the daytime we routed via NBO, Nicosia and also an unplanned stop at the old Rhodes Maritsa airport to pick up some BEA passengers as their Trident had gone sick, (Tech)
I do recall we had 3 or 4 big main meals served both ways between the sectors.
I still have today my BOAC Junior Jet Club book.(and still hand it over for signing, how sad)

Back then, nobody had ever really heard of the exotic Seychelles or the Maldives for that matter, so one had to do much searching of the World Atlas to find out where the Islands were. So I was very lucky enough to do the out and back to Seychelles courtesy of a BOAC VC10 staying at the cheap Northolme Hotel on the North West coast of the main Island of Mahe.
The Northolme back then was a very rustic and charming hotel, run by an English couple. There were only eleven bedrooms in the whole hotel, so within a short space of time, all the guests got to know each other and it all became one big party!
One night the flight crew from one of the VC10's happened to come over to the Northolme for drinks and a BBQ, and were promptly welcomed into our 'Club' for the evening.
and at some point during the evening, they mentioned that as a token of their gratitude for such a fine time with us, that they would request from air traffic that they, er, 'give their passengers a last look at the island!'
We spent the morning in the hotel on a wonderful cloudless day wondering if ATC permission would be granted, when suddenly, from somewhere in the hotel, someone yelled, 'HERE THEY COME!'
We all ran up to the room aptly named the 'Crow's Nest' as it was the highest room in the hotel with panoramic views, where looking South, we gazed in awe at the huge VC10, now flying very low and at full take off power, banked right over following the long sweeping curve of Beau Vallon Bay.
She then straightened up and flew straight towards us!
The adrenaline rush we got was awesome as the jet roared directly overhead, all four engines at maximum 'shout' and full CRACKLE!
Even with our hands and fingers jammed into our ears, it was a thunderous noise that you could feel going through your whole body. A truly amazing experience and a regular party piece for the passengers and hotel guests on the beach.

I have witnessed other magnificent tropical island fly-by's when staying on Bandos and Gasfinolhu Islands near Male Airport Maldives in the 1980's.
German holiday airline LTU with their huge Tristars gave their passengers a weekly low level last glimpse of Paradise on their way home to Germany by buzzing our lagoon and the beach after take off at around 250 feet!
The LTU crews stayed on Bandos or Kurumba and had a weeks lay over.
We all waved like mad from our jetty or standing in the warm waters with white powdery sand and the skipper waggled the wings in salute as the huge jet climbed away.
A much more quieter experience though from the three RB-211's than the four ear shattering crackling Conways of the VC-10.
These low level lagoon fly-pasts were then cottoned on to by the Swiss from Balair with their DC-10 back to Zurich, and the Italians with the weekly Alitalia 747 going home to Rome. Condor did it too.
Lots of fun - all be frowned upon now as everything is a no fun zone today!

Back then, the Seychelles runway had been built by the sea on reclaimed land.
The rear engines being mounted high on the VC-10 meant it was the only big jet that could at the time safely land and takeoff from the runway. The 707 with its engines mounted under the wings were apparently rather low to the ground and were at risk of sucking in loose coral - although I did see a Luxair 707 whilst I was there, together with an
EAAC Super VC-10 known as their Jambo Jets - The new BOAC 747 Jumbo was just starting to fly to NBO and JNB so EAAC tried hard to be ''with it'' as they say.

The SEZ Govt and Tourist board had long forbade charter flights and this went on for many years.
Unlike what happened to the Maldives in the 1980's once the Male Hulule runway was long enough for bigger aircraft.
My first visit there in 1980 the coral runway then was only big enough for the weekly 737-200 flight from Colombo.
But very soon Male was to see the big holiday jets of LTU Condor Balair and Alitalia with 300-400 passengers on each at a time before the vast development gathered pace.
Monarch in the UK first flew charters there for Kuoni Travel in 1988 from LGW via BAH on a 757 which was a most tortuous experience I can tell you, but it did at least get you to the Maldives quite quickly.

So thanks for your latest memoirs of the SEZ today - Hope you like me sharing mine of the old days of travel.

My airline career from 1972 gave me huge opportunity to visit some fantastic places very cheaply and I am still doing that today although retired now.

Quite a few of my ex colleagues from BMA at LHR joined BA as long haul cabin crew back in the mid 1980's and many of them are still flying today, loyally trying to give you all a good service as they were trained to do back in the day - most are flying still on the WW World wide legacy fleet and love their jobs even though they can retire any day.

Last edited by rog747; Feb 4, 2019 at 10:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.