Wiki Posts
Search

On Business - redemptions question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
On Business - redemptions question

Without getting into the ins and outs of the merits of On Business, can anyone who uses it help with my understanding of the system?

- is it generally better value for Long or Short Haul travel - I'm interested mostly in Y for SH and W for PE as these are the classes our travel policy allows
- is it subject to payment of additional taxes on redemptions in the same way an Avios redemption is?
- is it subject to availability restrictions like Avios redemptions? It seems to me that it's less restricted.
- is there any equivalent to a RFS?

There's an ulterior motive in that I'm keen to persuade our travel department to burn the points on SH travel rather than LH (if that makes financial sense). I have a feeling they focus on the big bills from LH rather than the big spend which is in SH.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Without getting into the ins and outs of the merits of On Business, can anyone who uses it help with my understanding of the system?

- is it generally better value for Long or Short Haul travel - I'm interested mostly in Y for SH and W for PE as these are the classes our travel policy allows
- is it subject to payment of additional taxes on redemptions in the same way an Avios redemption is?
- is it subject to availability restrictions like Avios redemptions? It seems to me that it's less restricted.
- is there any equivalent to a RFS?

There's an ulterior motive in that I'm keen to persuade our travel department to burn the points on SH travel rather than LH (if that makes financial sense). I have a feeling they focus on the big bills from LH rather than the big spend which is in SH.
Ok so i can get a few questions out of the way to start off with yes you always pay applicable taxes and carrier sucharges like an Avios booking and there is no equivalent to RFS. Yes it is subject to availability but uses different booking classes to Avios. It is basically dependant on specific booking classes being available but the booking classes are ones that are also used for reveue bookings. The booking classes needed are V for ET/WT T for WTP R for club world and A for First. I will reply later with points needed for journeys.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
@Raffles has an excellent guide on his website!
bisonrav likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks - @Raffles gives examples for Y and J, pointing out that redemptions in J are much more expensive, and my main interest is in earning on W and burning on Y as I think that's the best value (if it's the other way round my argument is screwed...).
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:00 am
Original Poster

One further questions, are redemptions better value in the US than Europe (in the way I believe Avios are sometimes)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.