Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When Business Class is Cheaper than Economy Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

Hi guys, had to do a last minute LHR-ATH return around one of the busiest periods of the year (now, UK easter next weekend and GR easter the weekend after)
BA wanted around 700 GBP Aegean around 450 GBP both basic economy, no suitcases! Ryanair forget it, no seats available (they do not overbook flights)

Lufthansa wanted 350 GBP return via Munich so a no brainer here. What is funny though, is that Lufthansa's Business Fares in this case was cheaper than their Economy fare so I have booked a return business for that price, so will have 2 suitcases included and lounge access naturally, with their Business Saver inflexible fare.

Is it ever the case where BA is cheaper in Business Class than Economy class? Because I have never seen it when I was researching flights to book with BA.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Hi guys, had to do a last minute LHR-ATH return around one of the busiest periods of the year (now, UK easter next weekend and GR easter the weekend after)
BA wanted around 700 GBP Aegean around 450 GBP both basic economy, no suitcases! Ryanair forget it, no seats available (they do not overbook flights)

Lufthansa wanted 350 GBP return via Munich so a no brainer here. What is funny though, is that Lufthansa's Business Fares in this case was cheaper than their Economy fare so I have booked a return business for that price, so will have 2 suitcases included and lounge access naturally, with their Business Saver inflexible fare.

Is it ever the case where BA is cheaper in Business Class than Economy class? Because I have never seen it when I was researching flights to book with BA.

Hi,

It is not common but it does occasionally come up that Business is cheaper than Y ( and on longer routes that F is cheaper than J)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The specific case where CE is cheaper than ET relates to the Saturday night rule and late bookings - these are on sale until the sales bucket is used up, which may not happen on business routes on a Saturday morning (for example). Whereas the ET fares may well be bumped up sky high on the basis that anyone booking at this late stage is a "must go" passenger running out of options. For those in the know: despite the high fares in ET, Avios availability may well be good, so if you are travelling at the last minute it is definitely worth a look at redemption space.

I have put this image up before as an example, with the date of travel the next day or something similar.

Sealink likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Yep, I've had it to Amsterdam & Geneva and when looking for flights to Munich the other day CE was only £6 more. I've never seen a significant difference on shorthaul - usually just a few pounds.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I have had CE cheaper than ET a few times recently - once on NCL<>BCN booked as flights only when it was about GBP 50 cheaper, but only on one of the legs. To have it only the other leg too was an extra GBP 100 or so, which I accepted. The latest trip, also NCL<>BCN but this time booked with the hotel I am sitting in now, was exactly GBP 2 cheaper in CE. This second incidence was not because the flights were cheaper but because CE gives a higher discount on flight + hotel packages.

For avoidance of doubt all flights originated or terminated at LHR, not LGW.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Yes I’ve had it for ZRH on a business trip before, my boss didn’t believe it so I had to take screenshots the whole way through
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
The deal is even better when you can check baggage for free in Biz and not in Economy
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:32 am

Can one also upgrade from CE to ET by paying the fare difference?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I happened to come across this example today:

Old Mar 24, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Interesting! So last minute peak travel to ATH and I am better off flying LH/LX Business Class than A3/BA/FR direct!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I've had WT+ fares that were 1/2 price of the WT fare on the same flights. Presumably the cheap WT fares were all booked and there were still a couple of cheap WT+ seats available.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I was going to say that I have certainly seen that on the times when I do compare.

For some reason, sometimes when you go back from looking at one lot of fares to put another date in, you cannot get it to do Business - it shows Economy and then of course one can compare. I cannot say that it happens often but it certainly happens in Europe. Whether this happens on Long Haul or not, I cannot tell. Thank you for telling us about LH's fares, I did not know about them. I vowed years ago never to fly Lufthansa again, so I doubt that they would be used by me.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:52 am

I’ve noticed this on BA flights to Ity - Genoa a case in point - although the margin is quite small
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
It's not always the last minute fares either. Last year had a couple of bookings like this. The one that stood out for me was the classic LHR-HEL-TLL fare that booked more than 6 months ahead for the Christmas markets was only £10 more for business than economy.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:42 am

Hence BA's desire to move to Dual Inventory Fares and get TAs on to complex booking systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.