Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positive Club World experience

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:18 am

The new bedding should help a bit, yet to try it out. Anyone have an overview of the rollout plan for the bedding/amenity kits etc?
I heard ORD + 9 was up, but so far just the catering... (10 new routes as of feb. 1st)
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load
I look for a comfortable seat, with good storage, quality IFE, direct aisle access and as much privacy as a business class config can allow. For those aspects, there is a host of alternative carriers out there who, for me, have a significantly superior proposition to that offered by BA. OTOH, what I really do like about BA is their convenient scheduling and wide range of non-stops from London ; plus, in many cases - though certainly not all - a very personable crew. In short, it’s a decent, mostly respectable product, even if below the level of onboard standards available from many other carriers.
Thanks for specifying this, and you are certainly not alone in having these views. The aspect that you, I, all of us need to take on board is that just because someone has reached a different view, they aren't necessarily in a parallel existence. So direct aisle access is very much secondary to me - compared to coffin / cramped seats - since I prefer to spend time asleep and I don't go to the WC at very frequent intervals. The point being there are multiple trade offs here (e.g. Qatar's A380 dorm, or Cathay's coffin, or AA "hunt the Bose" routine) and different people want different things. The sleep quality is a point noted by many contributors in this thread, it doesn't appear in your list - and may be that's lower down your list, for me I'll trade off a lot against that sole factor. Other views aren't right or wrong, nor are yours, the priorities are different and believe or not BA can compete effectively on some of these aspects. Including - as you highlight - direct flights at sensible times to a good range of destinations. Including the CW seat.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I only travel leisure, and (long haul certainly) only with the missus. I don't mind Club World. A few gripes but on the whole light years away from steerage.

One thing which I haven't seen mentioned about Club World (possibly because most on here travel as singles) is that without all aisle access, there is still a difference between step-overs - for couples.

And for couples, BA is significantly worse. On, say, a QR 777, I'll be sat next to the missus. We can arrange things so that, for example, we can shift from aisle to window if one's planning to sleep. What I find inconvenient on BA is that with this yin-yan you will systematically be stepping over or be stepped over by a stranger.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by andrelux
I only travel leisure, and (long haul certainly) only with the missus. I don't mind Club World. A few gripes but on the whole light years away from steerage.

One thing which I haven't seen mentioned about Club World (possibly because most on here travel as singles) is that without all aisle access, there is still a difference between step-overs - for couples.

And for couples, BA is significantly worse. On, say, a QR 777, I'll be sat next to the missus. We can arrange things so that, for example, we can shift from aisle to window if one's planning to sleep. What I find inconvenient on BA is that with this yin-yan you will systematically be stepping over or be stepped over by a stranger.
I find for couples, BA is great. The two middle seats feel like you have more space than just an individual seat and you can hide yourselves away. Plus if you get the back row, you have unblocked aisle access.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fredrik80
The new bedding should help a bit, yet to try it out. Anyone have an overview of the rollout plan for the bedding/amenity kits etc?
I heard ORD + 9 was up, but so far just the catering... (10 new routes as of feb. 1st)
New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

The top of this has updated lists
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jonas123
I find for couples, BA is great. The two middle seats feel like you have more space than just an individual seat and you can hide yourselves away. Plus if you get the back row, you have unblocked aisle access.
????

Seriously, ????

Apart from the fact that you're both sitting facing the same way and the off-chance that you might (bassinet permitting) blag a back row, what's great about being in the middle, both having to walk over people you don't know to get out?

Maybe you mean 'the best seats for couples, on BA', in which case I might agree. But great ????
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I really like the window/aisle seats when travelling as a couple on a day flight, and arguably find them better than F for dining together as both get a proper seat. I haven't been on a 777 in CW for some years now (though I am off to PEK for work next month) and have been lucky enough to get UD window seats on 744/A380. With those side bins I find the storage very good and I do like the privacy and don't find them claustrophobic.

Personally, sleep better in the AA/CX reverse herringbone seats (and much better in BA F) than I do in CW. But this is because I sleep best on my front and so I find the CW seat to be quite narrow at the shoulders. I'm not in the seat week in, week out so have less experience than most, but this thread just shows that we all value different things.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:39 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Why can't you just accept that some people like CW? If people are slagging it off and pointing out it's shortcomings you are happy! But if it receives the slightest positivity you love to comment in a patronising way! At the end of the day each to there own for example I cannot stand the tacky Gold bling of Emirates however you probably think it's amazing!
Indeed. It’s a major turnaround to read a thread that is not a litany of complaints and sarcasm posing as wit about the BA product.

I like it. It is not perfect I always feel as though my left elbow is a bit in the way, but I’m perfectly happy. Clearly I am not alone. Please note I am not in any way criticising other carriers as I have not flown them. However the day that I do change, I shall not hang around here harping on about how much I dislike it. I’ll go off to the new Forum and participate there. There’s nothing more dead than an old flame.
Padmeister and Lucanesque like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:48 am

Well my wife and I are in 53a and 53b UD on the A380. These suited us fine last trip so opted for them again, or have we made a mistake (apart from the £100 per sear booking fee) ?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ChrisMcP
Well my wife and I are in 53a and 53b UD on the A380. These suited us fine last trip so opted for them again, or have we made a mistake (apart from the £100 per sear booking fee) ?
For a couple these are considered good seats, I wouldn't be looking for alternatives.
British Airways A380 14F/97J/55W/303Y Seat Map

There is a more detailed thread on seating on the A380 which you will find in the forum's Dashboard.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load

As a BA traveller since way back (even when it operated under a different name !), I remember it as a very innovative carrier, and - specifically where its longhaul business class product is concerned - as something of a benchmark for quality around the world. I would regularly choose BA, wherever feasible, in preference to other carriers. The revolutionary flat-bed seat, when first introduced, was of course a game-changer. Everybody took notice - and understandably so.

So, basically, what you don't like is that the CW seat has been around for a while? I mentioned it in other threads but I honestly do not understand how people expect for BA to be innovative again when it already revolutionized business class travel by offering a seat that turns into a bed. That other airlines offer a different type of seat or setup is in no way revolutionary or innovative. Offering a bed was innovative, offering a different kind of bed is not at all. Yes, CW needs a refresh but I just don't know what people expect for that seat to do to be innovative. If it works why bother changing it? If someone wants a different seat or something new in general is not it what other airline that offer different seats are there for? Many people find the CW seat very comfortable to sleep in - why should BA chase after those who always want something new and different? Those people would get tired of the new seat rather quickly anyway. I am not aware of a company that would try to please a small group of people and invest a substantial amount of money to do that rather than watch how their business is doing overall with the general public.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Having flown EY, AY and BA in their business class offerings and being a once, sometimes twice yearly long haul J flyer for leisure purposes, I'm pretty happy with the CW seat. Like others, I dislike the coffin footwell on the others but am not a massive fan of climbing out of a window seat either but I still fly J infrequently enough to be happy in that cabin on any airline. I think a certain unfamiliarity with the product helps in this instance as expectations are not set too high (other than reading on here ) . Crew can be variable on any airline so that is always a little bit of a lottery, however, I have not had 'bad' BA crew on any of my CW or F flights.
Living in the regions and not chasing status helps as I am not tied to BA for my LH flights but more often than not end up flying them anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.