Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need help doing domestic connecting flight through partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

So I want to use my Chase UR points to fly my family to New Mexico this summer, and it would be great if I could just transfer to AA and be done. But since I can't, it looks like my only choice is to book through Chase portal (less value for points) or transfer to BA and try and do it there. Only problem is, there are no direct flights NYC > ABQ on AA, and partner flights only show up through BA if I search each leg. However, it seems like I'll be wasting a lot of points by booking the legs separately. Am I doing something wrong?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Max Palmer
So I want to use my Chase UR points to fly my family to New Mexico this summer, and it would be great if I could just transfer to AA and be done. But since I can't, it looks like my only choice is to book through Chase portal (less value for points) or transfer to BA and try and do it there. Only problem is, there are no direct flights NYC > ABQ on AA, and partner flights only show up through BA if I search each leg. However, it seems like I'll be wasting a lot of points by booking the legs separately. Am I doing something wrong?
No. When redeeming BA Avios on AA, you will pay for each flight flown, regardless of whether you book each leg separately, or are able to book them together (perhaps with the assistance of the BAEC Service Center, which might waive the telephone-booking fee if you explain the problem with ba.com).

How much is a cash ticket when using UR points on the Chase Portal?

If your planned trip is not for several months, take a look at this option:

Using Iberia Avios As An Alternative To British Airways - One Mile at a Time
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. BA prices each leg separately based on distance, no way around that.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(Deleted.)
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the OP has Chase UR points, I wonder if there is any special reason why he wants to fly AA. UR points can transfer to United, to Southwest, and also to Korean (for low-tier award travel on DL, if those seats can be found).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

It was really because AA enabled me to fly out of desireable airports, with desireable planes/times/layovers, all for less miles than anyone else. I checked Korean, but the Delta flights available were almost nonexistent. And with SW or UA, I'd be burning through all my miles. My best bet at this point may still be to go through Chase Portal, as I think it would still be less miles than with SW or UA.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was really because AA enabled me to fly out of desireable airports, with desireable planes/times/layovers, all for less miles than anyone else. I checked Korean, but the Delta flights available were almost nonexistent. And with SW or UA, I'd be burning through all my miles. My best bet at this point may still be to go through Chase Portal, as I think it would still be less miles than with SW or UA.
Unless you happen to find an AA "through flight" with SAAver availability between NYC and ABQ (not sure if there even are any on the current schedule), using BA Avios will cost more than redeeming for Saver seats on UA, and might cost more than redeeming for seats on Southwest, whose redemption rates are tied to a flight's cash fare. (Maybe you can catch a sale to ABQ on Southwest.)

If you qualify, you might consider applying for a new AA credit card through either Barclays or Citi to get the mileage sign-up bonus. Keep in mind that you can use one program's miles in one direction, and another program's miles (or cash) in the other direction.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP can find "MileSAAver" itineraries that connect only in ORD, DFW, or CLT, it looks like each roundtrip could be had for just 23,000 Iberia Plus Avios, since the total flown mileage would be < 4,000 miles.

Chase UR points can be transferred to Iberia Plus Avios on a 1:1 basis.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
B6 has the only nonstop service NYC-ABQ. Fares run in the $170-200 range, so maybe a better deal than using points of any kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.