Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon trip in First next week

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:06 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I would particularly echo CIHY's advice, which I can see you've taken on board anyway.

The only thing I'd add is that it does pay to make the crew aware on the day, otherwise they may assume you are regular F cabin inhabitants who know the routine. When you board as many aircraft as many on here do, even in a different travel class to usual, there is a certain amount of familiarity with the layout which means you tend to look more confident and less in need of help than many others.

I've never been one to be fawned over, so on the only occasion to date I've travelled in BA F, thanks to a GUF2 redemption, I happily walked on, said "Good Morning" to the crew, stowed my bag in the front wardrobe and settled into 1A on a 747. MrsNWI did the same across the aisle in 1F.

Halfway through the flight I was chatting to the assigned member of CC and in the normal course of conversation mentioned it was our first BA F thanks to the GUF (and only second overall following a TG redemption flight a few years ago). Apologies followed from her (which were wholly unnecessary). Apparently our confidence in stowing our luggage, settling straight into our seats and tucking into the LPGS without direction or prompting led her to think we were seasoned F travellers.

So even with experienced WW crew assumptions can still sometimes be made. As a regular CW traveller you might just fall through the same trapdoor we did!
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I purposely didn’t mention the card as I’m sure this is what the crew will do and wanted it to be a surprise, all well.
Haha scratch that then, we don’t have cards
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We also dont make a fuss of customers.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You are expecting too much. Why should you get a 'surprise'?

Yes someone in customer services could put a note in your booking but then one of the cabin crew would have to actively look for any such notes which is not something they normally do.

Just enjoy the fact you are flying in F already.
See, here's the thing. Book anything for any special occasion with special requests in a luxury setting, and you can reasonably expect some level of special treatment. For example, I went to have an afternoon tea at the Connaught for three people for my birthday. I have some allergies, which had all been gracefully substituted without me feeling I have been missing out, compared to what the others had, and they did decorate my plate beautifully with a happy birthday message.

Total cost of about 200 quid for that occasion. Now, let me ask, how much does a F return flight for two cost, and think about what I said above.

While we certainly shouldn't expect anything nice from airlines in this day and age, why couldn't they try a little harder in First class? I'm already baffled that spa reservations are almost impossible to get when flying in first class, so if one can't make any specific requests for the trip to be something more personal... Well, first class just becomes glorified business class.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does harder look like, crawling around the cabin on our knees as they do for Thai royalty?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I think that after all the excitement of the wedding and so on, which will probably be Amazing, you should have modest expectations of a trip on an aeroplane. How can an aeroplane match a wedding that you've planned for forever?

It's only a metal tube in the sky, supported by airflow. Start with low expectations and give someone the chance of exceeding your expectations.

Best piece of philosophy on the whole subject.

And the bit I’ve bolded : Tip of the Thread ^
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by thebigben
Well, first class just becomes glorified business class.
That's what they are, aren't they, with a bit more space (or a lot more space in some cases), a bit nicer presentation, and a bit better food.

What can be done in an enclosed space away from a normal kitchen and a huge larder etc. is somewhat limited.

What does harder look like, crawling around the cabin on our knees as they do for Thai royalty?
If I were your passenger on a special day of some sort I'd probably file a special request for you to strut all the way from the flight deck right to the back of the aircraft, and back up to the flight deck, in a pair of stilettos or something.

Now that would probably be quite hard.
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Book anything for any special occasion with special requests in a luxury setting, and you can reasonably expect some level of special treatment. For example, I went to have an afternoon tea at the Connaught for three people for my birthday. I have some allergies, which had all been gracefully substituted without me feeling I have been missing out, compared to what the others had, and they did decorate my plate beautifully with a happy birthday message.
You do realise, don't you, that other than writing "Happy birthday" or something like that on your plate, none of the rest of what you describe was special treatment? Receiving appropriate substitutions made gracefully to match any dietary needs you have would have been par for the course even if you'd just walked in off the street on a random Tuesday.
I'm already baffled that spa reservations are almost impossible to get when flying in first class ...
That's not really true, though - if a spa appointment is important enough to you, it can be done.
LTN Phobia and albpenny like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:02 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If I were your passenger on a special day of some sort I'd probably file a special request for you to strut all the way from the flight deck right to the back of the aircraft, and back up to the flight deck, in a pair of stilettos or something.
I think I may have inadvertently stumbled across the wrong website ... .
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You missed this part out NWIFlyer.
“Now that would probably be quite hard”, which had me slightly excited.
NWIFlyer and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:50 am

In the good old days, before the litigation culture, I flew BA back to London for my wedding. On boarding the plane, I was greeted with “You’re the gentleman flying back to get married... I wouldn’t go to sleep if I were you”. (A friend had told the crew). What concerned me was the sight of a dead, plucked chicken hanging in the galley. I stayed awake the whole flight fearing what might happen. Nearing Heathrow, the stewardesses applied large amounts of lipstick, then kissed me all over the face. I went through passport control with lots of kiss marks, various items attached to my jacket, and a large sign on my back. I never found out what happened to the chicken...
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:50 am
Community Director

You missed this part out NWIFlyer.
“Now that would probably be quite hard”, which had me slightly excited.
I imagine PUCCI GALORE will be alone shortly with some tips on how to handle a handbag and hairbrush to complete the look ...

After all, we'd expect nothing less than you throwing yourself headlong into it to please the customer ... .
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know where she would stick the hairbrush and hang her handbag and it ain’t happening.
NWIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by muscat
In the good old days, before the litigation culture, I flew BA back to London for my wedding. On boarding the plane, I was greeted with “You’re the gentleman flying back to get married... I wouldn’t go to sleep if I were you”. (A friend had told the crew). What concerned me was the sight of a dead, plucked chicken hanging in the galley. I stayed awake the whole flight fearing what might happen. Nearing Heathrow, the stewardesses applied large amounts of lipstick, then kissed me all over the face. I went through passport control with lots of kiss marks, various items attached to my jacket, and a large sign on my back. I never found out what happened to the chicken...
i really hope you are kidding about the dead plucked chicken. It has to be the rubber chicken kind (really rubber, not the rubber chicken rubbish served as a meal) . If this happened to my husband he would have been mortified.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never ever seen a whole chicken onboard, alive, dead, plucked or unplucked, I’m sure it was a rubber one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.