Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers sat in crew seats LHR-LAS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by nshep
When I flew back from Miami I think year before last it was right before the hurricane hit and I was on the upper deck and the jump seats at the top of the stairs and the ones in the middle of the upper deck where taken by passengers who turned out to be BA staff who had been told to take the flight home as they expected cancellations in comming days due to the hurricane. (I.E they where using them for crew movements)
Chances are they would’ve been out on holiday, using their staff travel concessions and decided to cut their holiday short due to the hurricane. Flights will have been very busy, so jumpseats would be used to get as many people home as possible.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by nshep
When I flew back from Miami I think year before last it was right before the hurricane hit and I was on the upper deck and the jump seats at the top of the stairs and the ones in the middle of the upper deck where taken by passengers who turned out to be BA staff who had been told to take the flight home as they expected cancellations in comming days due to the hurricane. (I.E they where using them for crew movements)
As MFCC says.BA do not use jump seats for Crew Movements, positioning crew will always have a seat, even if it means offloading or downgrading passengers to ensure it happens
HIDDY and flygirl68 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

As MFCC says.BA do not use jump seats for Crew Movements, positioning crew will always have a seat, even if it means offloading or downgrading passengers to ensure it happens
I’d love to know why positioning crew within Europe (travelling in uniform) are given Club Europe seats at the expense of paying pax.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Cabin crew have a ET/WT priority and only get CE or CW if it’s available?
EJetter likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

I’d love to know why positioning crew within Europe (travelling in uniform) are given Club Europe seats at the expense of paying pax.
Even if this were true why would it be wrong? Company has business class travel policy. How many of those in CE are in company paid for seats?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

If they are positioning they are at work being moved by the company to ensure that the next flight goes. If they are on personal travel it’s a different business. I will not engage with justifying why crew sit where etc.
flygirl68, LTN Phobia and rapidex like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Ex girlfriend of mine used to work for ba. Finance manager.

She he used to travel all over Europe for business and the majority of the time ended up in the jump seat ( including cockpit but it was 20 years ago). Only choise or don’t get home. Used to annoy her as it was duty travel!

For her holidays she always ended up in odd places ( Venezuela was popular at the time ) as it was the only way they could half guarantee to get back in time for work ( which was their problem even if bumped from the flight !). I think she got a limited number of guaranteed seats but I can’t really remember as it was a long time ago.

Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

If they are positioning they are at work being moved by the company to ensure that the next flight goes. If they are on personal travel it’s a different business. I will not engage with justifying why crew sit where etc.
I should have bolded the ‘at the expense of paying pax’ and give you some context.

Couple of weeks ago at ARN the flight before mine went tech and presumably a lot of the pax were reaccommodated on the later flight. I heard a couple of guys grumbling to each other in the boarding area about being downgraded but I think at the end of the day they were happy to go home just a couple of hours late.

It all kicked off however upon boarding when they saw the cabin crew of their tech service seated in CE, meaning the crew had been reseated ahead of them. They made a huge fuss, and when the crew was not sympathetic decided they would walk off in protest. Given one of them had checked luggage this resulted in 2 crews being promptly moved from CE to ET in order to be able to depart on time.

I am not one for DYKWIA attitude but for once was behind the pax here, as customers should always come first. I also wonder what would have happened had they not have the leverage of the hold luggage.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

Which customers should come first? The 2 delayed ones or the many delayed in the morning when the service doesn’t operate?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:33 pm

I should have bolded the ‘at the expense of paying pax’ and give you some context.

Couple of weeks ago at ARN the flight before mine went tech and presumably a lot of the pax were reaccommodated on the later flight. I heard a couple of guys grumbling to each other in the boarding area about being downgraded but I think at the end of the day they were happy to go home just a couple of hours late.

It all kicked off however upon boarding when they saw the cabin crew of their tech service seated in CE, meaning the crew had been reseated ahead of them. They made a huge fuss, and when the crew was not sympathetic decided they would walk off in protest. Given one of them had checked luggage this resulted in 2 crews being promptly moved from CE to ET in order to be able to depart on time.

I am not one for DYKWIA attitude but for once was behind the pax here, as customers should always come first. I also wonder what would have happened had they not have the leverage of the hold luggage.
As mentioned upthread by CIHY; cabin crew positioning will only receive a Club seat only if a Club seat is available (at least this is the case on MF, presuming the same for WW/EF). Crew will not be allocated CE/CW if there are no available seats.
I expect there was some confusion on the part of the outstation staff re staff travel priorities and reacommodating commercial pax on the later flight.
I don’t know whether or not the same applies for flight crew.
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:33 pm

Positioning Flight Crew onduty travel in a minimum of club. It does cause the odd issue with passengers or issues with odd passengers occasionally
flatlander likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
They made a huge fuss, and when the crew was not sympathetic decided they would walk off in protest. Given one of them had checked luggage this resulted in 2 crews being promptly moved from CE to ET in order to be able to depart on time.
Given that the seat is exactly the same in CE and ET I can't see why such a fuss was made by the DYKWIA types. If they were going from CW to WT for a long flight, perhaps, but not from CE.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Given that the seat is exactly the same in CE and ET I can't see why such a fuss was made by the DYKWIA types. If they were going from CW to WT for a long flight, perhaps, but not from CE.
Surely you could also say the opposite....why would cabin crew repositioning need to be sat in CE when the seat in ET is the same?

They weren't flight crew or even positioning for a flight.....surely In such circumstances you would give priority to paying customers?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I'm a non BA engineer who flies staff and have routinely been sat in jump seats and on the flight deck. It's no biggie, usually the captain will decide based on how urgently you need to be back at your home base or how far you are away from home. It's especially unlikely, if there is space somewhere, that you'll be left stranded if you have work the next day.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I thought I was in the wrong forum for a minute, the angry ranting about staff in seats the passengers feel entitled to sit in made me think this was the AA forum

Airlines are here to fly aircraft around with as many passengers as possible, and they don't put the crew in seats before passengers unless it's to fly more aircraft around with more passengers in it - passengers like us.

Some people need to get over themselves, this isn't a conspiracy. Crew need to travel too, and crew usually have (or will have in a few hours) much greater responsibilities than passengers. We just have to sit down, fasten our seatbelt, and not get into any fights. The crew have to keep us safe, get us to the right airport on time, feed and water us, and many other things - all while keeping within laws and rules so strict that they would make the average passenger's head spin to try to understand them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.