Wiki Posts
Search

F Galleries Lounge T5 guest behaviour

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
F Galleries Lounge T5 guest behaviour

Ok so I might be on my high horse, however I have to say I am going to throw this one out there.

On my last 5 visits to the F lounge which is touted as being tranquil, escapist etc... blah blah... how utterly annoying its become.

1. Random guy (yes guy as a rule) headphones in to smartphone walking around the place at top of voice and talking utter crap as a rule. Seems way more prevalent in F than anywhere else.
2. Random guy - I'm gonna impress the girl from the office, third glass of whatever alcohol starts talking loudly and swearing to dismay of said female colleague. Gets shirty when asked to shut up (yes I am not afraid to tell him).
3. I'm gonna spread everywhere and give u a ...... look when u dare say or express hey 'do you you really need 5 seats!"

heres my starter - care to add yours?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Loud talkers seem to be the bane of life these days.

Some people can't help but broadcast they are "doing business" in a thunderous voice. Overcompensating for something lacking, maybe.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
It's not just the F lounge. Really got my goat in the B lounge a few weeks ago over the fact people seem to think it's acceptable to use facetime, bellowing at their phone & leaving the rest of us to listen in not only to that but the crap coming back the other way.

I just cannot fathom why anyone wants me to hear both sides of their conversation (which again is typically tripe, rather than anything with any substance whatsoever - ooh look, i'm in the lounge sort of thing.)
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:37 am

There's always someone "doing a deal"
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
Loud talking on phones/Skype + parents letting their children run around (cannot blame the kids, nor is it all of them) are my two worst. People taking up too many seats is definitely up there, as well - (usually) being a solo traveller I'm very conscious of that. Another runner up is any sort of laying on furniture/shoes off, but I'm sure others will disagree on the former aspect.

For the life of me, I cannot understand having a potentially (at least somewhat) confidential conversation at full volume in a very public space?

Edit: adding seeing people leave piles and piles of food/drink. I don't just mean one spoonful here or there, either. I understand it might not be great food, but I can assume many people doing this are regulars and know what they're up against? If not, I'd always 'try before you buy' at a buffet setup. A bit annoying given how lucky we are to have it (and how many people in the world don't) and that it ultimately drives costs.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by lostinlondon
For the life of me, I cannot understand having a potentially (at least somewhat) confidential conversation at full volume in a very public space?
But that's the thing. These conversations - IME - are all asinine rubbish
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It's not just the F lounge. Really got my goat in the B lounge a few weeks ago over the fact people seem to think it's acceptable to use facetime, bellowing at their phone & leaving the rest of us to listen in not only to that but the crap coming back the other way.

I just cannot fathom why anyone wants me to hear both sides of their conversation (which again is typically tripe, rather than anything with any substance whatsoever - ooh look, i'm in the lounge sort of thing.)
went through DOH on way out to OZ and a UK guy was doing FT at the Qatar Business lounge bar with his 'Thai' bird - The QR staff and customers were all saying ... - he was out of it, the OR staff managed to get him to the airport hotel to sleep!

For me they should stop FT in the circs you describe - what many don't realise is that they are capturing other people without permission

Last edited by Telecasterman; Mar 15, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It's not just the lounges, or the airport. Walk around central London on any given weekday and most of the people you see think they're doing the most important deal in the world.
Dicksbits likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Let's start it in F wing security. Some people wouldn't put the empty tray where it should be so it's clogging up the whole system so everyone after him has to wait or do the job for him. Or using 10 trays and wouldn't move those in the center "desk" to put belt on put laptops ipads away etc...end this is happneing all the times. I have never understand what is so difficult. And no I wouldn't blame any eldery person or familes with kids, etc as most of the time single middle age men. Ladies are better too!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calum
There's always someone "doing a deal"
Calum do you actually believe that? for me and Im a wealthy individual the last thing I would do is talk in a public place.

Ive heard so called professionals with A list clients blabbing on to impress over the phone in the F lounge.

There are spaces set aside for business
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Krisz
Let's start it in F wing security. Some people wouldn't put the empty tray where it should be so it's clogging up the whole system so everyone after him has to wait or do the job for him.
To be fair, unlike the other security channels at T5, the TFW doesn't have the signs saying please place your tray in the pile at the end. However, I would agree that from a selfish point of view I usually move empty ones that are there simply because the sooner they are out of the way the sooner my stuff will come down.

Common sense would of course prompt people to do that rather than standing there waiting for trays to come when there is no space for them to go to, however eligibility to TFW is not based on common sense sadly
Wangja, T8191, englisha and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Calum do you actually believe that? for me and Im a wealthy individual the last thing I would do is talk in a public place.

Ive heard so called professionals with A list clients blabbing on to impress over the phone in the F lounge.

There are spaces set aside for business
To be honest I don't hear it much in GF but there was a point in time where it felt like I couldn't go anywhere in GC without sitting near to some 30's/40's something middle management person who spent the entire on the phone talking about a "deal" or a "client". I've got no issue with people wanting to use the phone but 90% of the time, these calls could of been emailed/texted. The people that trigger me the most are the people that facetime once they are onboard, they move the phone around and show the unfortunate individual on the other end that they are indeed on a aircraft while repeating the same 2 lines about 5 times during the phone call - "I'M ON THE PLANE" & "I'll call you when we land". Both of which are very simple messages to type and don't disturb the passengers around them or reinforce my hatred for the general population.
j_the_p likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Last time I was in the lounge one of the loud talking types was discussing with, I presume his marketing department, which website addresses would be needed to launch their new product. After what seemed like hours of listening to this guy bellowing into his headset my colleague had finally had enough and opened his laptop and registered the 3 addresses in question. Sadly we left before hearing the fallout.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
went through DOH on way out to OZ and a UK guy was doing FT at the Qatar Business lounge
That took me a moment to realise what could be so objectionable about doing FlyerTalk in the business lounge.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:26 am

To be fair it is not just BA lounges - currently in an LX lounge with some pillock beside me bellowing on about some deal and how big it was (it was peanuts....)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.