Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F Galleries Lounge T5 guest behaviour

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Meh
If I have a call to make I leave the lounge and find an area outside where I can have some privacy, and not invade others space.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:45 am

I was recently in Club MCO waiting for my flight back to the UK. There was an older couple from Wales who had been in Orlando for a few weeks on holiday and the Dad used FaceTime to speak with their daughter back in the UK. Audio was on top volume so you could hear every word of the entire conversation. After the Dad had finished talking to their daughter he passed the iPhone to his wife and the daughter promptly announced, "By 'eck Mam you've put on weight haven't you?" I had to do everything I could to stop myself from bursting out laughing.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: Some
My suggestion would be that the BA T5 GF lounge would benefit from a quiet area where mobile calls are banned - I believe the terrace has been suggested before and I think it's a good suggestion given it is a nicely segregated area.

I dislike making calls in the lounge and try to avoid it whenever possible, but have a job where it is sometimes necessary / clients request something urgently and I don't have a choice. I try to be as respectful as possible and think anyone caught using FaceTime, having a call on speakerphone or walking around babbling into a headset is a total tool, however.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by jonjparr
I was recently in Club MCO waiting for my flight back to the UK. There was an older couple from Wales who had been in Orlando for a few weeks on holiday and the Dad used FaceTime to speak with their daughter back in the UK. Audio was on top volume so you could hear every word of the entire conversation. After the Dad had finished talking to their daughter he passed the iPhone to his wife and the daughter promptly announced, "By 'eck Mam you've put on weight haven't you?" I had to do everything I could to stop myself from bursting out laughing.
The laughter might have been an appropriate indication that others could hear everything said
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
People talking loudly on their phones is my pet hate. If i need to make a phone call,

I try and make it brief and ill make it or pick it up on the outside Terrace ( Sorry to everyone who sits there!)

Also some people common manners just seem to hve been left at the soor. Talking down to staff really infuriates me amd finally when someone skips me in the coffee machine queue!!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by T8191
The laughter might have been an appropriate indication that others could hear everything said
Oh I think she realised that all on her own as she went bright red and started fiddling with the volume controls!
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by ratypus
Erm, there is a dedicated work zone in GF - left of the Champagne Bar...granted it could be a little bigger with some more "no computer/just calls" chairs, but it is there!
From using that during my time as a Gold, that is an uncomfortable and poor place to take calls.

The design of the lounges is just all wrong to facilitate quiet places to take calls and not disturb others - I know that a few rows of library style carrels aren't the most inspiring things to look at, but they provide a comfortable place to work, with a desk and some screening to act as a sound barrier.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
High up on the list of many things that you (often) have cause to wish had never been invented : Face Time Video
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:37 am

I've been through the JFK Flagship lounge a couple of times in the last two weeks. Both times I really enjoyed the peace and calmness of their quiet zone. The first time it was fairly busy but everyone observed the silence impeccably. I wish more lounges offered this.
Telecasterman likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Do BA offer quiet zones in their lounges? If not would you want to see it introduced?

Last edited by Telecasterman; Mar 16, 2018 at 7:07 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
So, bump the thread
Do BA offer quiet zones in their lounges? If not would you want to see it introduced?
If it's anything like the quiet zones on trains it wouldn't stop (some) people making calls or using the speakers on their iDevice, but it would just wind me up even more because it's the quiet zone for crying out loud!

Take this as a vote for "no point."
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I blame this thread

sitting in GF LGW now and someone nearby let his phone ring at full volume until it almost went to voicemail and has been talking loudly for 20 mins. Normally I wouldn’t taken any notice until I read this thread now it’s annoying!!!
John
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:51 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
My tried and tested trick, well 2out of 2 is if the walker talker gives out their number to send them a text asking to talk a bit louder as we couldn’t hear it over here.. the look on their face when they get it is priceless. One of the times was on a train and this guy with Bronze luggage tags was going on and on about his multiple trips to the USA.. the one and only time my gold card prominently displayed when moving my bag.
Or start visibly paying attention and taking notes, then when they say a number, such as £13m, quickly interrupt with "sorry, was that £13m or £30m" ... they might quieten down after that
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:56 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
I had a man in LBA loudly telling his family how much he would miss them, talking to grandchildren etc. Next call was to a prostitute/taxi service combined (ordered car type and woman-he seemed to know them all by name) at his destination in Thailand. The whole lounge was either mouth wide open or trying to suppress a laugh. An elderly woman said to me that she didn't know this combination was possible and you learn something new everyday.
Interesting ... maybe one of the LBA regulars on this forum

Some people are frankly idiots. If you're going to do that do it somewhere private! You should have taken a video clip and posted it on YouTube - it's a public space after all!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
The culture in Japan is opposed to using mobile phones with noise in public places full stop, and in Switzerland quiet-zones are enforced rigorously - by other passengers. The Flounge should be a quiet zone outside the dining area and the business centre. The JAL C lounge at HND had a bank of small rooms for phone calls, this would be an excellent feature to add at any lounges. Whenever I have to take or make a phone call in a lounge (and I'll only make one if it is urgent) I'll walk away from my seat and go somewhere away from others - for privacy and out of courtesy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.