Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access for solo traveler age 17

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
We'll be departing on a family holiday via the Club lounge at LGW in a couple of weeks at around lunchtime , presumably if my son wants a beer (he's 17 ) this is ok? Same question on board I guess, will he be permitted a beer with his meal ?

If it's against the lounge rules and has to be done surreptitiously I wouldn't run the risk of causing a fuss .

If we were at a restaurant in the UK the licensing laws permit him to have alcohol and obviously as a parent I allow him to enjoy the occasional drink.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
Originally Posted by Yetak
We'll be departing on a family holiday via the Club lounge at LGW in a couple of weeks at around lunchtime , presumably if my son wants a beer (he's 17 ) this is ok? Same question on board I guess, will he be permitted a beer with his meal ?

If it's against the lounge rules and has to be done surreptitiously I wouldn't run the risk of causing a fuss .

If we were at a restaurant in the UK the licensing laws permit him to have alcohol and obviously as a parent I allow him to enjoy the occasional drink.
There is nothing wrong with you letting him have. It is only forbidden for under 18s to buy. I think over 16 they are allowed to drink.
Yetak likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mict
I am 24 and I have been asked to see my ID for the first time ever today in the BA lounge in SEA. At the bar though, not at the entrance.
Been using lounges quite frequently since I am 16 and interesting that it happened for the first time at 24.
FWIW people are really bad at guessing age. IIRC there's a video series on Youtube with bartenders being asked to guess who's underage.

Originally Posted by Telecasterman
I'd rather have a sensible 17yrs old next to me enjoying the experience than an the ever increasing dykwia and tribe getting laced and challenging the poor sods who have to work in the lounges day in.
Absolutely. On the other hand, it's rather difficult for airlines to know who's a sensible 17 yrs old and who's going to make problems.

A drunk minor would IMO however raise questions and possibly public outrage if something happened to that minor. I do like lounges with bartenders as it will prevent both passenger from getting booze when they shouldn't get it (including those that already had too much)
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:05 am

Young rapidex and his girlfriend had a glass of LPGS each in the CCR when they were 16. They both had one with their meals. Manners and discretion will achieve the required goal.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Mict
I am 24 and I have been asked to see my ID for the first time ever today in the BA lounge in SEA. At the bar though, not at the entrance.
Been using lounges quite frequently since I am 16 and interesting that it happened for the first time at 24.
Strike that up to the bartender likely having been checked by the state liquor board recently.

Last year in SEA, I was asked for ID by the bartender in the Delta lounge. I’m in my mid 40s.
TPRun likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by tedcruz
There is nothing wrong with you letting him have. It is only forbidden for under 18s to buy. I think over 16 they are allowed to drink.

Correct. From the UK gov website
You can be stopped, fined or arrested by police if you’re under 18 and drinking alcohol in public.

If you’re under 18, it’s against the law:
  • for someone to sell you alcohol
  • to buy or try to buy alcohol
  • for an adult to buy or try to buy alcohol for you
  • to drink alcohol in licensed premises (such as a pub or restaurant)
However, if you’re 16 or 17 and accompanied by an adult, you can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal.
tedcruz likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Yetak

At 17 I wouldn't worry, I've let Junior Tobias have a beer in the UK lounges from when he was 14, and it was never a problem. He is legally allowed to drink in the UK at that age and provided he is with a parent the lounge hosts are not likely to bother you.

There appears to be a Challenge 21 type operation for solo travellers, yesterday a young chap in the CCR was asked for his passport when ordering a drink from the bar. He was 20 - but as soon as the Lounge Manager realised he was travelling with his parents he apologised and said had he realised he would not have asked.
rapidex and Yetak like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold
Quick Update

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice regarding the lounges,

On my positioning flight to DUB from LHR I spoke with the check-in agent and they phoned the duty manager who granted me access to the Concorde lounge at terminal 5 so couldn't get any better than that.

I got in the lounge at DUB fine and at T3 LHR for the AA flight to Miami I got told I couldn't at check-in but when to the lounge anyway and it was fine.

So all in all it worked out well
SK, EDIflyer, Tobias-UK and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lgwflyer
On my positioning flight to DUB from LHR I spoke with the check-in agent and they phoned the duty manager who granted me access to the Concorde lounge at terminal 5 so couldn't get any better than that.
That's a result and a good solution from BA to avoid the access to alcohol issue. ^
Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by lgwflyer
Hi all,

Thanks for your advice regarding the lounges,

I got in the lounge at DUB fine and at T3 LHR for the AA flight to Miami I got told I couldn't at check-in but when to the lounge anyway and it was fine.

So all in all it worked out well
What a result! I hope you enjoyed your lounge visits and your trip, and thank you so much for coming back to us to let us know how it all worked out ^

Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
That's a result and a good solution from BA to avoid the access to alcohol issue. ^
i have not always found that being in the CCR helps avoid excess alcohol

nice result for the OP ^
Steve_ZA likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I'm gonna have to say it but why would they do that? You have people paying F fares and people with extreme loyalty in the CCR and they guest someone flying J in due to him being under 18?

Great result for the OP but what a joke when you think about everyone else who had to "earn" access.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by annihilation
I'm gonna have to say it but why would they do that? You have people paying F fares and people with extreme loyalty in the CCR and they guest someone flying J in due to him being under 18?

Great result for the OP but what a joke when you think about everyone else who had to "earn" access.
The OP had purchased a long haul business class ticket, that ticket includes access to a lounge. Because of his/her age they might not have been permitted access to a lounge where self-pour alcohol is available. Offering access to the CCR was a way of allowing the OP to benefit from all the facilities associated with the ticket purchased. If the CCR wasn't busy I don't see the problem. Why should the OP not be able to enjoy all the perk of the ticket just because they are under 18?
EDIflyer, rossmacd and Lefly like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by annihilation

One additional person in the CCR, especially a non-drinker therefore not consuming the bar resources, is immaterial in the grand scheme of things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.