Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Even when you’re Bronze, we will still talk to you, as your inputs tend to be worth reading
Thank you, but what about the following year when I am Blue?

This may just be a phase and things will improve, I hope so.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Ten posts have been removed from this discussion. To those whose posts have been removed, you are most welcome to repost your thoughts but please be aware that baiting others is strictly off limits. Please engage courteously

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:06 pm

Ok so to repost my thoughts.

When you look at most external rankings of premium cabins, airline lounges etc BA and CCR rarely feature in the top 7/8 of either (we are talking here about magazines, bloggers, newspapers etc).

However undeniably there are those who like BA's services and find that they can never do wrong.

I therefore wonder if there is some form of Stockholm Syndrome in play here. Namely that if you are highly loyal to one predominant supplier then you become attuned to those standards becoming the new norm or the new 'good'.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by simons1
Ok so to repost my thoughts.

When you look at most external rankings of premium cabins, airline lounges etc BA and CCR rarely feature in the top 7/8 of either (we are talking here about magazines, bloggers, newspapers etc).

However undeniably there are those who like BA's services and find that they can never do wrong.

I therefore wonder if there is some form of Stockholm Syndrome in play here. Namely that if you are highly loyal to one predominant supplier then you become attuned to those standards becoming the new norm or the new 'good'.
The way I think about it there are three different groups here (rather like a simplified BA priority boarding!), which are basically concentric circles in order of size:

1. Regular fliers (mostly BA) - more likely than either of the other two groups to fly BA out of choice (albeit some are obviously left with no choice), therefore the most likely group to be positive about BA; this group corresponds to a subset of the current posters in this forum

2. Regular fliers (mix of airlines, possibly including BA) - more likely than the general population to fly, but probably the least likely to fly BA by choice; this group corresponds roughly to other Flyertalk users

3. General population - this group is the least likely to fly, which means they both have less of a base of comparison to other airlines and where they do it's statistically most likely to be to LCCs, therefore this group has generally had a positive view of BA and is happier with BA than group 2 above; this survey, I think, potentially represents the beginning of a change in views of this group regarding BA

Most blogs/surveys on airline lounges are targeted at group 2 above, hence they never have a particularly favourable view of BA.

I should point out at this point I sit firmly in group 2 for fairness.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by simons1

Is it such a big deal for someone to be happy with the BA product?
Sealink and Padmeister like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It doesn't fit the narrative.
I've made a few posts about poor experiences on another airline and was surprised that this wasn't even acknowledged.
Someone gets a chicken salad that's too cold on BA and there's a 12 page thread about it.
HMPS and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 15, 2018 at 8:04 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The way I think about it there are three different groups here (rather like a simplified BA priority boarding!), which are basically concentric circles in order of size:

1. Regular fliers (mostly BA) - more likely than either of the other two groups to fly BA out of choice (albeit some are obviously left with no choice), therefore the most likely group to be positive about BA; this group corresponds to a subset of the current posters in this forum

2. Regular fliers (mix of airlines, possibly including BA) - more likely than the general population to fly, but probably the least likely to fly BA by choice; this group corresponds roughly to other Flyertalk users

3. General population - this group is the least likely to fly, which means they both have less of a base of comparison to other airlines and where they do it's statistically most likely to be to LCCs, therefore this group has generally had a positive view of BA and is happier with BA than group 2 above; this survey, I think, potentially represents the beginning of a change in views of this group regarding BA

Most blogs/surveys on airline lounges are targeted at group 2 above, hence they never have a particularly favourable view of BA.

I should point out at this point I sit firmly in group 2 for fairness.
I feel you’ve produced a rather good analysis here.

I’ve just completed a 10 day trip involving eight sectors, originating and terminating LHR.

I purposely booked two of the sectors with BA - one in F, the other CW - and specifically with the objective of ‘re-appraising’ them, so to speak, against other, more favoured (by me) carriers ..... ie. carriers where I feel there is much less risk of receiving substandard service/product, based on past experience.

There were several good things with both the BA flights - not least involving crew. But there were also several issues where I was very clearly reminded why I gradually became much more a fan of the OW alliance than a fan of my home airline.

Like you, lost_in_translation, I put myself firmly into the Number 2 category ; and this last trip has done nothing to change that.

HMPS and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:46 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

And BA, as a matter of law and fact, is a BRITISH company.
And I think most people would call Land Rover a British company, regardless of its ultimate parent being Indian.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
I think the issue is whenthose who receive substantial perks from BA that any normal customer cannot, and are on friendly terms with senior bods in BA, belittle people here who have a bad experience and cast doubt on their opinion, because, they've 'never had a bad flight'. With some self-awareness perhaps they might consider their experience of BA is not 'typical'.
HilFly and mjh0 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by nallison
I think the issue is whenthose who receive substantial perks from BA that any normal customer cannot, and are on friendly terms with senior bods in BA, belittle people here who have a bad experience and cast doubt on their opinion, because, they've 'never had a bad flight'. With some self-awareness perhaps they might consider their experience of BA is not 'typical'.
I think my post about new paint syndrome was removed but I think those with very high status see a very different BA from the version that lesser mortals see.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by HilFly
I think those with very high status see a very different BA from the version that lesser mortals see.
I agree. For the majority that don't have status, you have to pay for a seat assignment, pay for more than 1 piece of baggage on long haul, pay for food and drink on short haul, while being squashed into a tiny Y seat in a "densified" cabin, the whole experience feels cheap without actually being cheap. If you're being nickled and dimed (5 and 10P'd ??) to death why not choose a LCC? There is no practical difference or reason to choose BA over whatever is cheaper.

BA used to stand for a nice, quality experience and was worth paying a premium for. That's not the case for most passengers anymore, and the brand rankings reflect that.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I agree. For the majority that don't have status, you have to pay for a seat assignment, pay for more than 1 piece of baggage on long haul, pay for food and drink on short haul, while being squashed into a tiny Y seat in a "densified" cabin, the whole experience feels cheap without actually being cheap. If you're being nickled and dimed (5 and 10P'd ??) to death why not choose a LCC? There is no practical difference or reason to choose BA over whatever is cheaper.

BA used to stand for a nice, quality experience and was worth paying a premium for. That's not the case for most passengers anymore, and the brand rankings reflect that.
spot on. It seems all BA are caring for are the Ł29 LGW-ALC passengers. But without any USP, these will book whomever is cheaper. I recently booked a LGW NICE on a popular week end with easyjet. It was way cheaper than BA in Y. I even got the Flex Fare that has fast track, seat preselection and a Ł7 voucher of the menu. Better deal all around. And visiting the lounge each time I fly isn‘t a proiority. I‘d rather have less time at the airport than more. Who would that I would rank easyjet‘s service better than BA‘s?!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
3. General population - this group is the least likely to fly, which means they both have less of a base of comparison to other airlines and where they do it's statistically most likely to be to LCCs, therefore this group has generally had a positive view of BA and is happier with BA than group 2 above; this survey, I think, potentially represents the beginning of a change in views of this group regarding BA.
This is the group that will affect brand reputation, though. Not the bottom line so much, as they don't fly that often, but definitely these sorts of brand reputation surveys.

People who always fly LCC, but fancy splashing out for a milestone birthday or anniversary, so they 'upgrade' to BA. Only to find that BA are exactly the same as the LCC that they always otherwise fly with. Are they going to be disappointed? You betcha.

This, I still maintain, is going to be BA's long-term problem. With LCCs you know where you are. LCCs are, more than anything, good at expectation management: fly Ryanair and you expect to be treated as self-loading freight, be force-fed scratchcards and be stuck next to the 27 BANTER BANTER BANTER lads off on a stag do. If you don't get that, you'll be dead pleased and your opinion will be high.

But what is BA? It's not a premium airline, at least not in short-haul Y. But, rightly or wrongly, the name still has expectations attached to it. The LCC model may even make sense financially (I'm not convinced, but hey), but with BA's name they're doomed to under-delivery compared to expectations. That really is a killer.
Dave_C, wrp96, GaxxyFlyer and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
This, I still maintain, is going to be BA's long-term problem. With LCCs you know where you are. LCCs are, more than anything, good at expectation management: fly Ryanair and you expect to be treated as self-loading freight, be force-fed scratchcards and be stuck next to the 27 BANTER BANTER BANTER lads off on a stag do. If you don't get that, you'll be dead pleased and your opinion will be high.
Except with Vueling, you do not know what you will get until you are in the airport: whether your flight will be cancelled or delayed (Sorry I have not been nice to Vueling due to its reputation of long delays and cancellations during summer busy months in previous years).
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hundreds of people day in day out like BA and enjoy what they offer. it is getting to the point where you only fit in on the BA Board if you are bashing BA,.
Sealink and Tobias-UK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.