Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways falls from #1 in consumers favourite brands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:56 am

Hardly surprising. I've had 7 BA short haul flights in the last month, the most I've done with them in years, and whilst there wasn't anything especially wrong with any of them, each flight left me thinking christ is this what BA has become. If it's the only airline you fly i can understand why you'd keep flying happily with them but to come from a top airline and then step onto BA is eye opening.

What particularly surprised me is the wave of negativity that comes from people when i mention i flew with them. Never had that before.
passy777, capin and davm666 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by 1010101
What particularly surprised me is the wave of negativity that comes from people when i mention i flew with them. Never had that before.
BA have decided to position themselves as a LCC-standard airline, and so they will now have a LCC-standard reputation. Jet2, Easyjet and Ryanair are all (usually) perfectly acceptable, if a bit grim, but they're never going to win awards for being a well-loved national treasure of a brand.

BA's additional problems come from the fact they only want to be an LCC-standard airline in Y. They want to be a premium airline in F and J. The two positions don't really gel. You have disappointed Y passengers who've bought into the premium branding and received an LCC service. And you have F and J customers refusing to pay premium prices for an airline which has pitched itself as Ryanair but with a nicer uniform.

Tesco is a great example of how you really really can't be all things to all people.
davm666 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I think you will find BA is a UK company.
However it's controlled by IAG, a Spanish company.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by T8191
Your concept may well work on s/h traffic, where other ‘lesser’ airlines exist ... unless the individuals concerned are wedded to BAEC for reasons outside work travel [TPs and Avios, in other words]. And there may be the hook that BA are relying on.

As for l/h, one has to look at destination and frequency coverage, and that’s compounded by the E/W/S route considerations ... as well as BAEC loyalty. Again, I find us hooked on OW simply because of where we want to go.

A mass exodus is, IMO, unlikely in the wider aspect. People will just post on FT and carry on suffering, simply because of where they want to go and an underlying desire for TPs and Avios to further their personal travel experiences.
The trouble is that if you fly mainly s/h then BAEC is not a particularly good program. I had years of mainly s/h travel and managed to scrape Silver each year. The earning (both TPs and Avios) are pretty poor even in CE. It’s only when you start the long haul travel and get Gold when the benefits really start to show.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
Why was it ever number one? And why is Andrex number 4?
Isn't Andrex where all the CSM iPad reports, letters to India, emails to Cruz etc all end up?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dave_C
However it's controlled by IAG, a Spanish company.
... whose corporate head office is in the UK (London). No matter how you wish to spin it, BA is a UK company.
rockflyertalk and WorldLux like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by srbrenna

The trouble is that if you fly mainly s/h then BAEC is not a particularly good program. I had years of mainly s/h travel and managed to scrape Silver each year. The earning (both TPs and Avios) are pretty poor even in CE. It’s only when you start the long haul travel and get Gold when the benefits really start to show.
Yes, I confess to hardly ever doing s/h (apart from the inevitable JER-LGW every trip to connect onwards in l/h). With the exception of an occasional MLA, all our travel is l/h and always in J, so my understanding of the s/h game is decidedly limited and basically restricted to what I read here.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
A simple question, When BA took away RFS and make the lowest redemption from 4,000 to 12,000, how many of you would leave the programme?
I would not leave the program, just use my Avios for longhaul, or redeem on other Oneworld airlines..
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by srbrenna
The trouble is that if you fly mainly s/h then BAEC is not a particularly good program.
I disagree.

I can't think of any other scheme where a single, inexpensive long-haul trip on another airline will get you priority check-in, lounge access, priority boarding and (usually) an empty seat next to you on all your short-haul ET flights, no matter how cheap, for up to two years.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge
Why was it ever number one?
Probably to gain more publicity for Superbrands when BA's planned drop out of the top twenty took place.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
... whose corporate head office is in the UK (London). No matter how you wish to spin it, BA is a UK company.
I don't think the European Commission is going to take that view when it comes to deciding what flying rights BA should have post next March. And, frankly, that is the only view that matters at the moment.
Dave_C likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I don't think the European Commission is going to take that view when it comes to deciding what flying rights BA should have post next March. And, frankly, that is the only view that matters at the moment.
You think they will consider it a Spanish company?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Raffles
Juncker would be foolish to turn their back BA on come March...I’m sure Walsh is aware of all this and probably has a plan to avoid any EU rights issues.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Mar 14, 2018 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:54 am

Not if you listen to the Chief Executive Officer on the FY17 results call. Willie was emphatic and mentioned it a couple of times, that IAG considers itself a Spanish company. Who am I to argue with the CEO?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Juncker would be foolish to turn their back BA on come March...I’m sure Walsh is aware of all this and probably has a plan to avoid any EU rights issues.
Why would Juncker care about British Airways come next March? If no deal is signed UK Companies will suffer far more than EU ones will.
While not wishing to drag this thread to Brexit issues, the soundbite which continues to be rolled out that the EU needs the UK far more than the UK needs the EU is just wrong and baffles me! I genuinely fear for next April because I feel that is only when people will finally realise the damage Brexit will cause the entire UK economy (far more than it has already!)

Pilot37

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.