Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit - up against a brick wall

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold

The other week, weather disrupted my plan to fly ORD-DFW-SAT on AA in Business Class and net 80 tier points. Instead, because of thunder, at ORD I was rerouted on a non-stop - something I had paid not to do, as I wanted the TPs. The AA gate agent assured me I would get Original Routing Credit, and I had to get to SAT, so I took what I was being given.

Following advice on the main ORC thread on here I requested credit from BA. 2 days later they replied, saying AA had denied it. I emailed again, saying that it is well documented that AA will give it for IRRPOS diversions/change of plans. This time I got an email addressed to me - but about flights on RJ at Christmas, which were nothing to do with me!

At this point I called the Gold Line and asked for something to be done about it, and the person to whom I spoke put me on a long hold, contacted a supervisor, got back to me and told me that American do not offer ORC to BA customers, and you only get what you flew (this despite the gate agent reassuring me).

It's only 40TPs, but it might just make the difference for an important threshold - and it is also sort of the principal. I would welcome advice from folk out there as to whether I should persevere, and, if so, how...

Thank you.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:09 pm

The agent was right. If it had been BA flights, then you would have been given the original routing credit. When it's partner airlines you only get credited for flights flown.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:34 pm

Just to confirm HereToHelp - it's right. AA *won't* grant ORC on their coded flights.

If you book under a BA flight code, but AA metal, and you are re-routed, THEN you can claim because it's BA who grant it in that circumstance.

And to add a little story to it - a couple of years back I had IRROPS at YYZ on a YYZ-JFK-LGW route in J. A bit of a discussion got me re-routed on the EI flight and I added "and someone's going to be getting an email for the original routing" to which the AA agent said "good job you booked as a BA code then or you wouldn't get it from us" to which my smile response was "hence why it was booked that way".

All the flexibility of an AA re-route (which is normally very good), all the benefits of a BA ORC :-).
Old Mar 9, 2018, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not only that AA won't, it's that AA can't grant credit in another carrier's scheme to passengers of that other carrier (or even a third carrier). Same thing the other way around if you wee looking for segment credit in AA as a BA passenger on BA flights.

GA;s should not assure anybody of anything. They have no say in this and are not trained in the variations.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
I had BA give me ORC for AA coded flights when I got rerouted. This is not set in stone.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HereToHelp
The agent was right. If it had been BA flights, then you would have been given the original routing credit. When it's partner airlines you only get credited for flights flown.
thats simply not true

EDIT: just to add some meat to this answer, I have had ORC for rerouted AA and AY flights on BA tickets. Also this has been successfully claimed by quite a few people who have reported on the ORC guide thread. Additionally others have even reported receiving ORC on AA tickets with only AA flights after re-routing.

dylanks likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 10, 2018 at 4:10 am
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
PM bamissingavios on here and they should be able to sort it for you.
KARFA, cgtechuk and dylanks like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:26 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I've tried to get ORC when my LA flight was canceled and i was rerouted. Still haven't had it post correctly.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by HereToHelp
This is not my experience.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
I tried for ORC with AA (on an AA ticket) no dice for me ... they said they would only credit for the route/cabin flown.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M, HHonors Gold
I had it 2 years ago where I was on a AA booked ticket and instead of flying DUB-LHR-JFK-PHX-LAS I was rebooked onto LHR-LAS direct due to a delayed flight. First the ORC got declined then I sent a pm to bamissingavios and all was sorted in a couple of days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.