Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any Other Frequent CW Flyers Doing [a] Low-Carb [diet] ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Sky Team Silver, Star Alliance Silver

This seemed like such a peculiar query that I hesitated a long time before asking, however I've lost a significant amount of weight since the holidays by avoiding bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. I'm thinner and feeling great - and am wondering if there are any others out there like me who might have tips on frequent long-hauls in CW as well as in the lounge? It's still rather new for me, and I thought there might be some veterans out there.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve done this when I was regular long haul traveller. You have to accept that on a plane you’ll be eating crappier food than on the ground, and that airlines pile your later with cheap carbs as filler (oh look here’s the bread basket again). So pack some snacks (or maybe the roast beef plate from FnM) and then pick as best you can from the menu. Losing the Club World was a retrograde step with the new service. Eating healthily and not drinking when flying has been the single biggest contributor to jet lag avoidance/minimisation for me.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Buzzz
This seemed like such a peculiar query that I hesitated a long time before asking, however I've lost a significant amount of weight since the holidays by avoiding bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. I'm thinner and feeling great - and am wondering if there are any others out there like me who might have tips on frequent long-hauls in CW as well as in the lounge? It's still rather new for me, and I thought there might be some veterans out there.
Me I am a low carber, Losing 13 stone in the process, with BA, I find the cheese, wines and the choices of hot food in GF pretty decent.

Onboard I just avoid anything with rice and potatoes to be honest it fitted quite well and congrats its not an easy thing to do
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
I have these issues too. The best advice from my trainer, after hearing me moan about the trouble with all the free food in the lounge, was "arrive later at the airport so there's less time to be tempted". Seems like an outrage when the first lounge beckons but I fear it is good advice.

The other bit of advice I learned from Michael Mosley is that it isn't the law that you have to eat everything on a plate of food presented to you. It is in fact allowable, despite encouragement shouted at us when youngsters, to leave some or all of the carbs or anything else you don't want or shouldn't eat. I still struggle with this one but I think he may have something in this advice!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Excellent tip on the roast beef paté from F&M!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Yes - been doing this for many years. I just eat the protein element of all dishes on offer and I certainly never go hungry. I do carry bags of nuts sometimes as an insurance policy. Once you lose the need for the bulk of carbs then it is easy to go protein rich as a frequent flyer.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
I have these issues too. The best advice from my trainer, after hearing me moan about the trouble with all the free food in the lounge, was "arrive later at the airport so there's less time to be tempted". Seems like an outrage when the first lounge beckons but I fear it is good advice.
Your trainer's advice is good, and could even be taken to the point that you should arrive late enough that you need to run a bit along the way. Thereby replacing your food in the lounge with a bit of good cardio...
Probably best not to push it so far as actually missing the flight. Then you'll end up in the lounge, waiting for your next flight, eating and drinking do dull the pain.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I couldn't do low-carb on an aircraft. I can't abide very dry Champagne.
Expatbear and choosethedrew like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I’m on a low carb, and it’s a challenge but prepare ahead of time.

Champagne and spirits are ok (but not G&Ts) as BA use fever trees and even the lighter version has too many carbs for my liking. My go to drink is vodka and Diet Coke.

Go for cheese instead of dessert, although you won’t get much.

Another tip is to utilise M&S for your own supply of protein.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
Originally Posted by d3vski
I’m on a low carb, and it’s a challenge but prepare ahead of time.

Champagne and spirits are ok (but not G&Ts) as BA use fever trees and even the lighter version has too many carbs for my liking. My go to drink is vodka and Diet Coke.

Go for cheese instead of dessert, although you won’t get much.

Another tip is to utilise M&S for your own supply of protein.
Again this is such simple sensible advice that I'm bad a putting into practice. M&S can provide a simple pack of cooked chicken and the leafy salad of your choice. I need to toughen my resolve to choose this over the BA Burger and chips in the lounge!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:13 am
Original Poster

I was preparing a vodka soda in the First lounge..... but First lounge has no soda water? Was I looking in the wrong place? d3ski is right about the tonic - it's all loaded with sugars. Coke Zero to the rescue.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I’m low carb these days and just avoid all bread/pastry items, and only eat a moderate amount of any carb on the main dish. No snacks between meals, especially crisps, and now tend to eat little of the 2nd meal (not at all if it’s breakfast on an overnight). Generally avoid carb-laden lounge options too. Overall I resist the urge to eat everything offered to me (my former habit) and I find sipping sparkling water a handy way to resist the urge to snack on carbs.

Carb avoidance can can be more of a challenge on short haul, especially on afternoon tea departures, though not eating at all on those flights is easier.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have worked out over many years that carbs love me, and I love them. But like many dysfunctional relationships, they aren't good for me. Cutting down significantly has helped me slim down pretty dramatically and keep it off over the last four years.

On my last CW trip I slept through the meal service and the very kind cabin crew saved me a tray of cold stuff to have later. I had the starter (which was basically chilled meats), the salad, and then the cold main course option, which was salad with chicken. Between them it was almost zero carbs (and lots of roughage!).

Usually do a G-and-slimline-T or Vodka and Soda, or if I'm feeling indulgent and can spare a few, a Bloody Mary. Avoid the bread basket and ask for cheese with no biscuits (often they have extra cheese and I usually find extra plates in the club kitchen - though that depends on whether it's WW crew or not, as MF seem not to do that).

At the Flounge I usually ask for the burger with no bun but with bacon and cheese, and spare the chips, and get a big plate of salad to go with it.

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Me I am a low carber, Losing 13 stone in the process
Wow cgtechuk excellent work!!
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Keep yourself filled up on protein, and don't eat out of boredom. I find it hard to refuse food in the lounge - the all-you-can-eat buffet effect - but you just need to be strict with yourself. Am I hungry? Would I be eating this if I was at home? Would I be eating at all?

Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
Again this is such simple sensible advice that I'm bad a putting into practice. M&S can provide a simple pack of cooked chicken and the leafy salad of your choice. I need to toughen my resolve to choose this over the BA Burger and chips in the lounge!
Yep. M&S cooked chicken is my go-to snack at the moment. I also eat a lot of Greek Yoghurt (not 'Greek-style', but the Fage 20% stuff, which is high in protein and low in fat), Keeps you full.

A burger naturally comes with a bun and chips, but try to choose one or the other.

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Yes - been doing this for many years. I just eat the protein element of all dishes on offer and I certainly never go hungry. I do carry bags of nuts sometimes as an insurance policy. Once you lose the need for the bulk of carbs then it is easy to go protein rich as a frequent flyer.
If that's working for you, great. I would caution anybody else to be careful with nuts though and check the nutritional info. They are a terrifyingly calorific for something so small.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Oh, and for G&Ts, Fevertree Naturally Light is delicious and low cal.
Expatbear likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.