Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Boarding "Steps" at JER

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
There’s something similar at Seattle for getting from the ramp into the South Satellite terminal for the AS international flights that are operated by the Q400’s. It’s very handy for rolling luggage.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
The only disadvantage I can see it looks like you have to "walk" more than twice as far up and down in the pouring rain as opposed to regular steps.
N.B. read pouring rain as liquid sunshine.

John
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by RichP
I think there is a similar arrangement in MIA for the flights to the islands (Bahamas, etc. - outdoor gates, D60, I think) - or at the last there was some sort of multi segment ramp to get onto the plane (not a 319, I thought it was a small EMB).

https://www.eiaviation.com/ground-bo...itchback-ramp/
Nice link! I suspected JER wouldn’t be the first on the Planet, but at least the 21st C seems to have arrived here!
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good for the elderly however for a young one like me it looks as if there's three times more walking involved.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
Oh, gosh - should make the post-gin-in-the-lounge* boarding much less dangerous.

*when available
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by thejohn
The only disadvantage I can see it looks like you have to "walk" more than twice as far up and down in the pouring rain as opposed to regular steps.
N.B. read pouring rain as liquid sunshine.

John
easyJet have some of these types of ramps at LGW but with a roof on them to presumably protect from the rain.

Originally Posted by squawk
When I disembarked at BRS on an EasyJet flight a few weeks ago for the DO, it was one of those too – I remember thinking it would be a heck of a lot better for wheelchair users than having to wait for a high-lift truck…or being abandoned on the plane, which I've heard about happening far too often on some of our well known low cost carriers.
A bit unfair blaming airlines when usually they assistance providers are now usually provided by the airport.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Good for the elderly however for a young one like me it looks as if there's three times more walking involved.
Disney queue springs to mind. T8191 perhaps you have reached that stage in life where you require a little more assistance to board - no more steep steps involved
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mike&co
T8191 perhaps you have reached that stage in life where you require a little more assistance to board - no more steep steps involved
A hint of impertinence there, young man! I would note that nobody overtook me/us on the long hike from lub Kingston to Gate 5 at KIN

Oh, and I’ve just spent 10 days doing the 38 steps up from the beach, and the further 40 to our top floor room
mike&co likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I assume the great advantage of these for the airline is that they don't need a separate lift, or stair-walker, for people unable to handle stairs, removing the need for a staff member and a piece of heavy equipment. A person needing a wheelchair can be pushed through the airport all the way to the aircraft door.

PRMs should not sit too near the back if they want to get off quickly though, I notice the rear just gets steps. Commensurately those who begrudge the 30-40 paces more can just sit at the back. Row 26 on Easyjet is nice and snug.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze

We still have grown up steps at GCI

Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
They've had that 'thing' for some time now, U2 used it first (October I first used it going to LPL) and BA have been using it at least whenever parked on stand 1 since the turn of the year.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
QF has some at some of the airports. They work rather well actually. Saves the need for the wheelchair lifting device too.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by jday

We still have grown up steps at GCI

They'd only reach the nose gear door on a 319
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
I've used the ramp a few times this year in Jersey and it's certainly a lot further to walk than the stairs but it does feel like the flow into/off the plane is faster.

They can get surprisingly slippy in heavy rain though, as I found out last month
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mike&co
Disney queue springs to mind.
If you buy a "fast pass" can you use the steps at the side 😉
mike&co likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.