Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
If someone is in the infinitesimally small sub set of the population that can afford to turn down a "really good job" (because that is the subject of this thread, not an ok job, not a mediocre job, but a really good job) because they don't like the travel policy, well... those folks will probably end up ok. If you do not fall into that population, you'd do well to not let the tail wag the dog, so to speak...

Regards
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pa31pilot
If the company policy of Y travel is more important than attracting the best person for the job they deserve to fail, and will eventually.
Problem is that everyone is so hell-bent on fairness nowadays that if you give a J policy to one, you'll have to start giving it to everyone. Sure, you might be able to defend it from a legal standpoint and argue its a individual benefit, but you can't control people getting pissed off and demotivated that they're in Y and someone else is in J.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Newbie here - does Y here mean fully flexible full price economy, or cheapest economy?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Working in the education sector, discounted Y travel is very common. I have turned down roles with lots of Y travel, despite really enjoying the work. I have a back issue and went through the hoops of MRI scans and occupational health etc. following some very uncomfortable long trips in Y. Now it’s J or I don’t go. In my last job, after a few J trips senior management told my boss to send junior staff on trips instead. They couldn’t see beyond the cost of the flight itself, and clearly did not value my work in the field enough, so I moved on.

Policies do vary between institutions and by seniority. In my current workplace travel policy is a bit unclear, but again I have J or don’t go. I was upfront right from the start about my back issue, and had a call once I’d completed the health assessment form after the offer was made. I deliberately chose a role without necessary regular travel, and if they do decide they don’t want me to fly J, there are other ways I can be impactful in my role.
That's a fair point and you seem to have looked at it from both sides. Here in Mexico just sending one person in J to Europe on a monthly basis would be an extra 24-28k USD per year on the price of going by accomodation. Doesn't sound like much, but that's enough to pay 4-5 people in some instances as salaries are so low here. Can see why they'd send a junior in many cases. Just depends on the size of the business I guess. Big corporates I know send their top execs in business, but the people I know in consulting have to slum it and I'm talking people at Deloitte, Bain, BCG etc.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Newbie here - does Y here mean fully flexible full price economy, or cheapest economy?
In this context, most here are simply using "Y" as a synonymy for standard economy. Most in this discussion are focused on the desire to travel in a premium cabin vs. standard economy for work.

Regards
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by TTmex
Problem is that everyone is so hell-bent on fairness nowadays that if you give a J policy to one, you'll have to start giving it to everyone.
The main force acting here is everyone being hell-bent on cheapness. If they weren't focused on being as cheap as possible with their employees then there wouldn't be a question and longer travel would under humane conditions.

No employee likes being treated cheaply, so if they see someone else being treated humanely their existing resentment is only further increased.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
The main force acting here is everyone being hell-bent on cheapness. If they weren't focused on being as cheap as possible with their employees then there wouldn't be a question and longer travel would under humane conditions.

No employee likes being treated cheaply, so if they see someone else being treated humanely their existing resentment is only further increased.
I understand your point and see where you are coming from. But, I think you also considering that all companies are rich in this scenario. Many projects today (thanks to competition coming from all angles) run on very tight margins. Adding 25-50k USD to a contract price to cover flights in J for a few people will be enough to lose contracts to the competition. I worked a contract in Poland where the big corporate we contracted for applied deliberate pressure, i.e. if you hike your travel costs too high then we'll hire local. Thus, the Y policy wasn't down to my company being cheap, it was down to a large corporate flexing their muscles to drive costs down and ensure that if we wanted to fly J that we'd be taking it out of our consulting fees, not out of a travel budget they'd have to create. Sure, we could have walked away, but then we'd have been walking away from a 500k USD account, something that is a considerable amount of money in Mexico and pays a lot of salaries. Not everyone is in a strong position to negotiate terms. Thus, yep, some companies will use their power to keep you in Y. If you're that good, they'll be flexible. If they don't think you're valuable enough, then I guess people can go get a job elsewhere. But, it's not always about you being good enough or not. You may be the best person for the job, but they just don't have the budget to stretch to sending you on 3-4k tickets.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A dinosaur perspective from the 80s/90s, working for that well-known bounteous employer called the Ministry of Defence.

At a certain rank (lt col/wg cdr/cdr) you got J travel on duty if it was over 6 hours (IIRC). All Duty Travel was done through the Services Booking Centre, so there was no room for manoeuvre! So, very deeply status based within the Armed Forces.

As a tale, I had to do a Duty trip to Australia in the 80s. All my CivAir flights were J ... but I had to position to HKG via the twice-weekly Trooping flight (VC-10). Thanks to the schedules, I wasted a day in HKG on the way out, and 3 days on the way home! It was a nice couple of weeks, though.

I understand that such inefficiencies have long since been processed out, and that direct flights are now the norm, although I bet the criteria are tighter!
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by woodey

So here’s the situation, I’m at the 3rd interview stage of a really good job. The package, role etc are all excellent but the company has an all Y travel policy, no exceptions, even the CEO travels Y (it’s a large America company). I’m likely to need to travel long haul once a month and short haul once a month. I’m OK with the short haul Y, I’m used to that in my current job but long-haul Y then straight into a meeting seems brutal.

I’ve tried negotiating with them but there’s no give, they have offered me some more money (approx. £2,000 a month after tax) to compensate for the travel. I think the idea is I can use my own money to upgrade when I want to but they’ve been clear that the corporate travel department will only ever book me Y.

So, a couple of questions. Has anyone ever turned down a really good job because of the travel policy? And if I go for it I’ll be looking to AUP a couple of long-haul Y segments a month, about 24 a year. Will I run into problems with BA? I seem to remember threads about AUP where ‘the computer says no’.

Thanks.
Yes, I've turned down a global role that involved a couple of long hauls a month due to the travel policy, however it wasn't the Y on its own, it was the fact there was no way I could book Business and have the company pay me the expense for economy as it was all via Corp TA. If I could have found a way round that it would have been different.

That said if they'd have been offering the pay uplift OP is being offered in lieu of Business I'd have probably taken it and worked upgrades out somehow or emoyed a decent chiropractor....

Last edited by tuonopepper; Nov 12, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I have never had a proper full time job *gasp* as I have been a university student for the past 7+ years and before that was at school.

Now that I am soon to be leaving the ivory towers and entering the real world, finding a job who are willing to pay for me to travel is the first step, the second step is hoping that they will be willing to send me in a cabin that is better than Y. Clearly for me an all Y travel policy would not be a deciding factor at all but if there are two equal-ish jobs, but one has a better travel policy than the other then of course I would go with the one that is more comfortable!
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by adrianlondon
I worked for an Indian IT company with a Y-only policy. As I flew long-haul averaging once a year, and they'd let me fly the day before to "get over" the experience, shower, sleep and be ready to work the next day, it was fine.

The client had an intriguing policy. Their first long-haul flight in any 12-month period was Y, and any subsequent was in J. I thought that was neat.

Now I don't fly anywhere on business and even miss the Y flights! Well, kind of.
Our company has all Y excepting VP or above with 4 or more hours duration. The policy used to state an economy class ticket so. People just booked WT+ for example, it now specifically excludes premium economy!!

The exception is a 'frequent traveller' tag that is attached to you if you do than more than 100k flight miles in a year, you are then allowed to travel business for the following year on flights that are greater in duration (cumulative if more than one to get from A to B), except for when travelling to any corporate events

It's not bad but is very geared to the US where they fly everywhere, really for EMEA 75k would work better and then 8 hours as the time reqd for business.

A previous company had a standard business class if it was over 8 hours A to B policy that worked, Premium eco for 4 to 8.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Nov 12, 2019 at 1:03 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by txviking
My company has a Y-only policy. I like my job in most respects, but I avoid flying as much as possible. Instead, I do rental cars when practical (even if it adds a day or two to my trip.) I've also been trying, somewhat unsuccessfully, to reduce the frequency of business travel. Definitely going to consider writing a J clause into my contract the next time I go job hunting.
I've used our travel policy as a reason, along with ecological impact, to review my travel and essentially do a lot less, I'm home much more and generally I'm told I'm much more relaxed. Like another poster I no longer do red eyes and rarely do crack of dawn flights, I'll travel day before or find a substitute from my team.
Bellerina likes this.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Nov 12, 2019 at 1:02 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by seattle29
Couldn't have put it better myself.
In the grand scheme of things yes, it's a massively first world problem. However in the context of the OPs situation. He is asking for some perspective from the many on here likely in similar roles, I don't see what's wrong with that tbh.

It's a fact that different jobs, levels, Industrys come with different pay and conditions, are we saying someone shouldn't now ask a question that people on here could offer an experienced based view on just becuase they are fortunate to be in a field of employment that is at the upper end renumeration packages?
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by sxc

Google has a policy of a budgeted amount for a particular itinerary and the employee can book their own travel within that confine. They are incentivised for the amount that they don’t spend.
This is what I wish our lot would do, makes a lot of sense.
becks1 and Bellerina like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I would suggest what matters more is not what the policy states, but fundamentally what seat you end up in, and how much money ends up in your bank account each month.

I disagree with those above that say a Y-only policy is a sign of worse-treatment elsewhere.

We have a Y-only policy. I feel valued as an employee, paid above market rate (£200k), and upgrade with miles/AUPs/POUs/exEUs as required. If I fly to headquarters (SFO), I will typically book an exEU, and expense a 5* hotel for the weekend.

My friend at McKinsey has a J policy. Their work/life balance is brutal, and are expected to work straight after a long-haul flight.

I know which I'd prefer.
gustavmahler likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.