Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you turn down a really good job if the travel policy was all Y?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It won’t just be the flights. Any company with such a policy will be equally tight elsewhere. It is a mentality you just don’t need. Reckon you will be getting a Merc to the airport and a four star hotel when you arrive? I doubt it.
SkyTeem likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Will you be able to get daytime BOS/JFK-LHR flights and avoid overnighters from the US?
Could they book you into MCE on AA?
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by pa31pilot
If the company policy of Y travel is more important than attracting the best person for the job they deserve to fail, and will eventually.
Not to defend any such policies, but a number of successful companies would suggest otherwise.

Unless eventually means the heat death of the universe in which case I can agree.

In my own - admittedly limited - experience a lot of companies are doing just this and still trading. Indeed, one client has gone from a J/W policy to W/Y, and despite much grumbling from the employees, is still the leading player in its sector.
Grog likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Only you can answer the question but given the question is what would we all do, my view is I would probably take it if it was a really good opportunity. By this, I mean if it was exactly the role I wanted, especially if it got me out of a job I dislike or have few prospects in. The money is nice but It's not my main motivator.

I guess the concern would be 'job creep' so suddenly the monthly longhaul becomes weekly..."can you just..."

Good luck whatever you do.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Raffles
It won’t just be the flights. Any company with such a policy will be equally tight elsewhere. It is a mentality you just don’t need. Reckon you will be getting a Merc to the airport and a four star hotel when you arrive? I doubt it.
Yes, fair point. But it's a continuous spectrum surely, at least in my experience. I've worked for companies who won't pay for more than Y but will pay for top end IT kit.

​​​​​​In the case of the OP, I'd simply treat it like any other consideration (e.g. A longer commute, less parking, no local eateries...) It's a factor. I can't imagine it's the sole one.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
If they allow the corporate travel agent to charge to the company the Y cost and the difference to W or C to you, I might consider it with that extra salary offer. But AUPs are not guarantied and considering how often flights go out full, I would not risk that.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA gold
I'd be weary if the company will do the booking for you, as it makes it more difficult/messy to upgrade tickets as chances are they will be using some form of travel agent unless you can liaise with TA directly to book a higher class of ticket part funded by the increase in your salary offer. Otherwise you might be able to purchase outright J tickets for 2k to some destinations anyway, assuming the company is happy for you to discard their booked tickets entirely. eg, they booked you Y and you no-showed because you personally booked J (if it's the same plane, the airline may not like two bookings with the same person).

AUPs are just too random a possibility to be relied on - which is kinda the point, the airlines would rather have their customers buy the ticket for the class they want to travel in.

Also, if your bookings are made close to the day of travel, the choice of seats can become more limited - especially those twins at the rear, although exit seats are still usually available if you can fly in exit seats.

My company is Y-only for my UK-Australia travels, but at least I don't have to go into work on the day (I usually do a few hours work for jetlag management).

That said, from your own description, it sounds like you are really keen on the job; flying isn't everything.
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:48 pm

I worked for an Indian IT company with a Y-only policy. As I flew long-haul averaging once a year, and they'd let me fly the day before to "get over" the experience, shower, sleep and be ready to work the next day, it was fine.

The client had an intriguing policy. Their first long-haul flight in any 12-month period was Y, and any subsequent was in J. I thought that was neat.

Now I don't fly anywhere on business and even miss the Y flights! Well, kind of.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
I was going to add that too - completely agree. This is why the OP must be sure it is a great opportunity - for me that includes the corporate culture. If it's cheapest Y, as you say, what else are they expecting?
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
And don’t forget that in cheapest Y tickets, your pretty much the last to get any sort of assistance when dealing with irrops.....and that is a real possibility when you are travelling so frequently.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn't accept, if it's true long-haul once a month.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:05 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
My brother’s neighbor was a 25yr employee and VP for a Fortune 100 company and when she had to fly to India from the US—West Coast they made her fly in Y.

i was shocked given her position within the company.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodey
So here’s the situation, I’m at the 3rd interview stage of a really good job. The package, role etc are all excellent but the company has an all Y travel policy, no exceptions, even the CEO travels Y (it’s a large America company)
Will you be expected to travel "out of normal hours"? Or only in normal working hours?
Rest day/time at destination, on full pay, after a long haul trip?
Time off in lieu, due to unsociable travel.
You will be getting paid for 40hours a week (not 140)
(But as this is a USA company, expect the answer is in the negative)

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The precise way your travel is booked makes a considerable difference to your upgrade potential.

Personally I would not accept a job with this policy.
Yep ^

I do not fly red eyes, unless 100% no option, no matter what class.
I do not fly on early morning departures. Must be 08:00 at the very earliest. Otherwise a mid afternoon flight the day before with hotel, at client cost.
Calchas, tuonopepper and Phorbas like this.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:14 pm

I would consider it if they agree to book day flights whenever available - even if this requires an additional expense/time. From the UK there are decent options to stick to day flights if your travel is to South Asia/Middle East/East Coast US.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I worked for two years in the UK where they wanted me to fly in Y for the long hauls. It was not once a month like the OP. Maybe 3-4 trips/year. But then somehow it was OK to book Premium Economy. Sometimes I did pay for upgrades to J. Sometimes I did not. But the position in the UK allowed me to move to a better position back in the US.

So, if I were the OP, I would take the position and use it a stepping stone for a better position later on.

And I do get to book my long hauls in J now.

Funny thing is that on two flights where I was in Premium Economy, the BA crew in charge of my area told me that I looked like I did not belong there and proceeded to bring me Champagne from J for the entire flight. Once I could have understood, but twice......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.