Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First First LHR - KUL - Options In The Event of a Downgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum

I've got my first ever First coming up in March (out on 28th so just before the Easter rush) booked with my 2-4-1 voucher. It's a special trip that I'm taking with my mum and it's been booked as a thank you for the support she's given me over the past year with some RL issues.

My mum is very excited about this as she's never flown first before (and to be honest, I'm really excited too because it'll be my first trip in First since 2004). However, I'm a bit worried as KUL has previously come up as a destination where people have anecdotally said that they've been targeted for downgrade. I've seen some of the advice given by people on the boards (e.g. pre-selecting meals, checking in as soon as check in opens) so I will be doing that. At the moment though, the cabin is showing as full on the way out and back again so I am mentally prepared for some bad news but I was just wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for how to deal with it at the time? For example, has anyone got anywhere asking for a reroute and is it worth asking for one or can you ask to go on the next flight out?

If worst came to the worst, I don't doubt that we could slum it in Club World but this is a special trip and I saved those avios specially so if I can get the experience I wanted, then that would be my preferred outcome.

Thanks in advance
1F
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Your first first which turns into your second first half way down the post
paulgibbs likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Relax. Chill. Why stress? BA doesn’t overbook F regularly and reports of downgrades outside IRROPS are incredibly rare.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Ask the nice folk here to check loads a day or two before for your flight, as well as the two SIN services and maybe even the Malaysia Airlines F services - have this info up your sleeve in the very unlikely situation you are worrying about
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:58 am

I’m in a very similar position to you, my first First is later this year on the same route, also on a 2-4-1. Let us know how you get on!
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:11 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Since successes don't get reported as much as the failures, I'd like to add my own anecdote of a First on a 2-4-1 last year which went perfectly, even bagged 1A and 1K on a 747, watching the plane take off while looking forwards was a treat!
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:42 am

Yep our first First using a 2-4-1 also went smoothly in November. I think the problem is we all read about the rare downgrades but people don’t post about the thousands of flights which go as they should!
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:55 am

I do 2 2-4-1 1st redemptions each year. I have done this route twice. I have never been downgraded on any 1st 2-4-1 flight. I had one cancelled 6 months out but was re-booked on a better flight that originally had no redemptions- so win win.

Don't worry about things that might happen, I am sure that downgrading is rare.
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You are unlikely to get affected, but the flight is busy, yes: F0 and J0 with 7 of 8 F seats taken. The next day and the flights to SIN are no better.

I would be disappointed to be downgraded but I don't see an outcome that I would take over the downgrade: it's not worth the hassle of a longer routing (would you reroute via India or China if they could be convinced?). Just get to the airport early so that if it happens you can insist on CCR access for a nice dinner ... not such a bad outcome with the miles difference refunded?
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by pauldb
You are unlikely to get affected, but the flight is busy, yes: F0 and J0 with 7 of 8 F seats taken. The next day and the flights to SIN are no better.

I would be disappointed to be downgraded but I don't see an outcome that I would take over the downgrade: it's not worth the hassle of a longer routing (would you reroute via India or China if they could be convinced?). Just get to the airport early so that if it happens you can insist on CCR access for a nice dinner ... not such a bad outcome with the miles difference refunded?
I wouldn't worry about it too much, chance of downgrade is tiny, and even if, there are so many options from LHR in F, QF/QR/BA all via SIN/DOH/SIN or JAL/CX and I would take all of those over BA F (apart from QR which are find robotic).
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:25 am

I think you have more chance of getting hit by irrops, or some kind of incident getting to the airport than being downgraded. So relax a bit and look at it in those terms. Don't let the tiny chance of a bump spoil your anticipation. There are so many other things that are more likely to happen that could affect your trip but I bet you aren't fretting about those.
1nfrequent likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

jday - yeah but given my last first was in 2004 (like I said), I think this probably counts as my first first.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned given the circumstances of the trip and the apparent loads but I'll try to relax and deal with it if it happens.

1F
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
jday - yeah but given my last first was in 2004 (like I said), I think this probably counts as my first first.

You’re my first proper boyfriend” she said. “Honestly, you are”

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
1nfrequent and mikeyfly like this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Clearly you've heard that a lot, subject2load.

1F
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
Clearly you've heard that a lot, subject2load.

1F
Not any more.

But then youth is always wasted on the young.
1nfrequent likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.