Search

Suggestion: BA F or CX J?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Suggestion: BA F or CX J?

Need to fly HKG to the UK in May.

I can choose between flying CX in business class for 90.000 avios or BA in first class for 100.000 - minor difference.

BA will be more "usable" to me for these reasons:

- Better scheduled departure/arrival
- Possibility of using F lounges in HKG (I won't be Gold anymore by then, dropping to Silver)
- Flies into London rather than Manchester (CX)
I've never flown either product (normally fly QR) so I'd like to ask a suggestion.

Would you book BA F or "go out of the way" (which involves changing the time of a meeting plus a less convenient departure time) to fly CX J?

Thank you!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Definitely BA F.
Flame3601 and TheJayHatch like this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Normally the answer is save the money and take CX J, but given the minor Avios difference here then BA F is (for once) the answer
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by teledude
Definitely BA F.
BA F - No brainer, Means you also get a use of the Concodrde breakfast in the arrivals lounge in LHR if you aren't connecting on anywhere
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Thank you both.

I was not sure as I see BA F slaughtered on these pages more and more often, as well as on OMAAT, so wanted to know your first-hand experience.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Danusa86
Thank you both.

I was not sure as I see BA F slaughtered on these pages more and more often, as well as on OMAAT, so wanted to know your first-hand experience.
The old saying of "For every 5 scathing reviews there are 50 good ones that don't get reported"

Personally I find the service a lot more personal and a the LPGS is always a nice bonus, If you have never flown it before, let them know that and they usually make it extra special, Did for us.

You did well getting F space on the HKG route!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
BA F - No brainer, Means you also get a use of the Concodrde breakfast in the arrivals lounge in LHR if you aren't connecting on anywhere
For me this would be a no-brainer. Take BA F.
  • Better seat
  • Dine on demand
  • Better lounges at both ends
  • Direct routing and better times
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
BA F

CX J is okay, good seat, good IFE, however, I find the food bland and wines uninspired. Strong J product but not a touch on BA F. For better lounges, better seat, more attentive service and ability to select meals on the outbound it is an easy choice.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:40 am

I'm not a big fan of BA F, but I'd take it in these circs. The more I travel, the more I realise that for me schedule convenience and price trump most things.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
You did well getting F space on the HKG route!
Coincidentally I was looking at that route yesterday and there was more availability than I expected in F.
cgtechuk likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 27, 2018 at 12:31 pm Reason: repair quotation frame
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
Coincidentally I was looking at that route yesterday and there was more availability than I expected in F.
Need to have a look at the AMS - BKK / HKG Fare in the case then some UUA for F on the 380 if it's available
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Cx J vs BA J = Cx J
Cx J vs BA F = BA F
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Danusa86
Need to fly HKG to the UK in May.

I can choose between flying CX in business class for 90.000 avios or BA in first class for 100.000 - minor difference.

BA will be more "usable" to me for these reasons:

- Better scheduled departure/arrival
- Possibility of using F lounges in HKG (I won't be Gold anymore by then, dropping to Silver)
- Flies into London rather than Manchester (CX)
I've never flown either product (normally fly QR) so I'd like to ask a suggestion.

Would you book BA F or "go out of the way" (which involves changing the time of a meeting plus a less convenient departure time) to fly CX J?

Thank you!
There is no doubt, BA F. Not only is it better suited for your schedule but its first class and even if the service happens to be off the seat/cabin so much nicer. Since you wont be OW Emerald by that time the lounges will be markedly better - especially in HKG.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
With such a very minor difference in Avios, BA F in this case, for sure.

But noteworthy that OP felt the need to actually put the question.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
having done both, recently, take BA F, CX J is nice, but you BA F is better, now if the choice was CX F over BA F, I strongly suggest CX F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.