Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Having thought about this, it does make sense that BA can clearly see a significant gulf between those exceeding 5k TPs (relatively few) and those hitting 3k (or likely 3.5k for the GUF) and going no further. No doubt they feel some can be tempted to push for the 5K if better benefits are on offer (I'd consider it rather than flying EY/EK for the remainder of my year after hitting 3.5K, as I do currently) which would increase the numbers in that higher level, but still significantly reduce the overall GGL count.

The question is, are BA capable of actually following through on any increased benefits (particularly soft benefits such as special assistance which will always be 'subject to availability').
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
It's always amazed me that people can get to higher BA status levels yet fly so few flights with BA, I guess it probably doesn't make a whole load of difference as if they fly few segments they won't be using the benefits.
Depends - if you're an American flyer who gets to BA silver through intra-american flights and 4 BA segments (and let's not forget those segments don't *actually* need to be on BA metal - it could be American metal with a BA code) - you're costing BA a shed load of money in lounge access you'd be otherwise paying for.

The number of people doing that sort of thing, though, is probably pretty low.

There's a bit of a thing on this board where an example of one or two people doing something less-than-above-board and it's suddenly assumed to be thousands of people doing the same thing regardless of reality. (e.g. Honolulu golds)
710 77345 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MPH1980
Depends - if you're an American flyer who gets to BA silver through intra-american flights and 4 BA segments (and let's not forget those segments don't *actually* need to be on BA metal - it could be American metal with a BA code) - you're costing BA a shed load of money in lounge access you'd be otherwise paying for.

The number of people doing that sort of thing, though, is probably pretty low.

There's a bit of a thing on this board where an example of one or two people doing something less-than-above-board and it's suddenly assumed to be thousands of people doing the same thing regardless of reality. (e.g. Honolulu golds)
Under Oneworld rules if you are flying AA but get lounge access via a BA membership, I don’t believe BA pays anything. It’s the operating carrier that pays.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
It's always amazed me that people can get to higher BA status levels yet fly so few flights with BA, I guess it probably doesn't make a whole load of difference as if they fly few segments they won't be using the benefits.
I fly a lot of OW flights - I see this as a benefit of the alliance. And BA is likely the carrier I fly the most, year in, year out, in the alliance. Hence, I am a BAEC member. But not being LHR based, I don't fly them exclusively. Again, because I purchase mainly J tickets, I still feel my loyalty is of benefit to BA's bottom line and my membership isn't costing them money. But if they increase the number of segments, they'd likely lose me as a customer.

Edited to add - I also realized I've drastically underestimated my BA flying when looking at "My Flight Path" to keep me honest - I did 10 BA segments in 2017, 16 is 2016. So a raise of the minimum to 8 or 10 would not affect me.

Last edited by dcmike; Mar 13, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcmike
I fly a lot of OW flights - I see this as a benefit of the alliance. And BA is likely the carrier I fly the most, year in, year out, in the alliance. Hence, I am a BAEC member. But not being LHR based, I don't fly them exclusively. Again, because I purchase mainly J tickets, I still feel my loyalty is of benefit to BA's bottom line and my membership isn't costing them money. But if they increase the number of segments, they'd likely lose me as a customer.

Edited to add - I also realized I've drastically underestimated my BA flying when looking at "My Flight Path" to keep me honest - I did 10 BA segments in 2017, 16 is 2016. So a raise of the minimum to 8 or 10 would not affect me.
Ditto - quite scary actually (that I flew so many sectors and also that I have clear memories of so few !!)
dcmike likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Does 82 segments count me as a loyal customer? (93% on BA Metal - self funded) for 2017 in SH and LH (similar pattern for previous 5 years)

Projection for this year would only see me on about 70 BA segments assuming I keep booking on BA.

GGL for last 5 years .. I would certainly take my primary self funded business elsewhere (with work travel ... I have no choice due to policy) to Star Alliance if BA does not want my business (by raising the bar on GGL re qualification)

I potentially see a new thread opening up if this happens .... "BA GGL ex 3K BA Exiters"

In the mean time ... I continue to watch this space .... BA no longer the top Brand (now below the top 20 ... massive drop from 4 years at Number 1), 100th Anniversary of BA in 2019 ...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I don’t want to sidetrack this discussion but the idea that a ‘Honolulu Gold’ member is doing something underhand and not above board is absurd. They pay the money and take the flights as per the terms of the program.

Eurocheats saying they lived in a country they did not to access lower qualification requirements is a different matter which was clearly against the rules hence one of the reasons that loophole closed.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
I had dinner with a client last night who is a Prem and the conversation turned to BA. He mentioned that he had heard that the GGL was getting an overhaul. He didn't seem to know too much other than it will be harder to qualify, it will include additional support from BA SS (now called the "Concorde Team") and would include access to the CCR for all members not just some.

There has previously been speculation of a new "Concorde Card" and I do wonder if that is what the GGL is about to morph into.

Anyone else heard anything?
MODS ... This thread really needs to be closed. Maybe reopen once BA discloses their plans.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
GGL for last 5 years .. I would certainly take my primary self funded business elsewhere (with work travel ... I have no choice due to policy) to Star Alliance if BA does not want my business (by raising the bar on GGL re qualification)
In all fairness the opposite argument is equally strong: there are surely passengers who are currently renewing GGL with anywhere between 3k and 5k TPs, who - should the threshold for re-qualification be raised to 5k - would choose to increase spend on BA or OW to hit the new target. I suspect this group (especially on routes where BA or JV partners have monopoly on direct flights) would be more numerous than those who would suddenly stop flying BA because they feel outraged by a change in tier threshold. In other words, making GGL more difficult to attain could make the tier more aspirational and eventually drive more business to BA, so I can see commercial grounds for a similar decision. Now, as said my hope is that this would come with more benefits.
LondonCanuck likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

MODS ... This thread really needs to be closed. Maybe reopen once BA discloses their plans.
Why? It’s been quite an interesting discussion. Perhaps the uncertainty of it is making you nervous and you think BA might take tips from here?

No it doesn’t.

I really wish people would stop suggesting raising the GGL limit.

Just wait to see what BA will do. Why do so many people on this forum keep feeding BA management!!
dcmike, nufnuf77 and SaraJH like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Why? It’s been quite an interesting discussion.
It's a classic FT thread. Over 300 posts based on very little information and virtually no substance
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Old habits die hard
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by golfmad
It's a classic FT thread. Over 300 posts based on very little information and virtually no substance
and in true FT style I’ve actually modified my flying plans over the next two weeks to ensure I clear 3k TPS by the end of the month... based on a thread that is purely based around speculation!
Discovery Bay and golfmad like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I hit both CCR and GfL qualification this month. Lets see what happens!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MrMutton

I don’t want to sidetrack this discussion but the idea that a ‘Honolulu Gold’ member is doing something underhand and not above board is absurd. They pay the money and take the flights as per the terms of the program.

Eurocheats saying they lived in a country they did not to access lower qualification requirements is a different matter which was clearly against the rules hence one of the reasons that loophole closed.
My apologies - didn't intend it to come across that way - I, personally, do NOT have a problem with the HNL golds. My reason for using it as an example was mainly because there are some on this board who seem to regard it as "the root of all evil" and thousands of people are doing it and then "clogging up" the lounges. When, in reality, we're talking about a relatively small number of people (compared to total number of Gold/Emeralds out there) who, if you then say "well - they weren't flying enough to get Gold or Silver themselves" are not exactly going to be sitting in a lounge every day.

Last edited by MPH1980; Mar 15, 2018 at 8:07 am Reason: adding the missing 'not'!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.