Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Positioning at INV to get First Class LHR-ORD and return, June 18. What are the risks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Positioning at INV to get First Class LHR-ORD and return, June 18. What are the risks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Using the benefit of this forum which is very good indeed, I've managed BA Gold and a GUF2 in the last 18months. I'll retain Gold and earn a second GUF2 this card year.

My latest travel takes me into SDF Lousiville via ORD from the UK in June. Learning about positioning (and Ex-EU) got me checking INV as departure location - I've read some interesting TP runs and this may be of a similar theme. My onwards internal US flights booked as a separate ticket with an overnight in ORD both directions. I'm sort of ok with that.

What I found was First Class on an A380 Out, and First Class on a 744 Return, for £400 more than CW. So with the use of AVIOS reduces the difference to £150. I'm still within the 24hrs cooling off period.
I've also reserved 1K on the outbound and 1A on the return.

Here's my route
Outbound 16th June, INV -LHR, then LHR on BA0297 - ORD
Return 21st June ORD on BA0294 - LHR, then LHR - INV.

My positional options from LHR:
Outbound - 15th June departs 1015 - 1155.
Return from INV - LHR 22nd June departs 1245, so provided I'm HBO I can do a quick turnaround.

The question is, is this reasonable?
Would you look at an alternative route getting into INV (LTN is better than LGW for me), or just scrap the whole idea and book a different route with easier positioning flights or similar cost for WT+?
I guess the biggest risk is 15th June BA cancel the LHR to INV on the day, and then I'm scuppered. What are the Chances of having a flight cancellation with no onward options from the airline?

As I write this I'm thinking I must be mad booking such a route.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Why not take the LHR-INV flight on the 16 June and do the back to back at INV? That would seem to be the less risky option and also more time efficient. I did an exINV trip last year and also am doing one this year and that's what I am doing.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would also point out a back to back is a lot less risky than bolting on a flight from another airline. The range of things than can and do go wrong is enormous. It's a common fallacy to think "oh, I'll add a few hours to make it less risky" when a 40 minute back to back is actually the much safer idea.

If it is your first time at INV - and bear in mind this may be a productive repeat operation when you know the system better - so either find a cheap train the night before, or use any airline of your choice the night before, and have a less hectic trip all the way through. Jurys is right by the bus to INV airport, Holiday Inn Express (a much better hotel) is a short walk away and by a nice pub, the Snow Goose. Premier Inn Milburn Road is the other option but I don't know that hotel. You can have a comfortable trip on the day, only have security at INV, and a leisurely morning. Back to back at INV isn't totally hassle free, you have to go landside and you risk problems with security (very low risk I would say) but it's easier to do this once you get the hang of a particular airport.

Usually you don't need to go back to INV, just use multi city to end up where-ever you need to be, rather than INV, and the fare could be similar.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Hi @KARFA, thats a good point.I didnt think of that. So if I'm on the LHR-INV flight, and this is delayed, so too is the INV-LHR, but I'll be at INV for the departure so wont miss the 1st leg of the journey.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by NeilP
Hi @KARFA, thats a good point.I didnt think of that. So if I'm on the LHR-INV flight, and this is delayed, so too is the INV-LHR, but I'll be at INV for the departure so wont miss the 1st leg of the journey.
Correct.

And if the outbound LHR-INV is cancelled, then so is your inbound INV-LHR, and usually BA will make provisions to head out on your longhaul flight without having to make the INV shuffle.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I did my first B2Bs at INV in January - on the same day so it really was a B2B! (like you I'd found a good F deal!)

It was fine but no time to mess around it really is get off the plane and follow the route into the terminal and clear security. When I did it there was an easy jet flight due to depart not long after the BA flight so there was a bit of a queue but it generally moved quickly so I'd very much advocate being security ready with pockets empty etc etc

I too looked at alternatives but whilst I could get an early easy jet flight from LGW it didn't really appeal - and I'd be well and truly up the creek if that got cancelled) so I stuck with BA.

An alternative to consider would be (and you'd need to check if there was a later LHR-INV which there is on some days but wasn't available to me) is going up the night before and staying over. Of course you could use any airline if flying the day before

Would I trade an ec-INV in CE and F for a direct ex-LHR in WTP then no I wouldn't!

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Feb 23, 2018 at 4:06 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
I was looking at an ex-INV fare earlier in the week and it was the same price to finish with an LHR-MAN leg instead of LHR-INV.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I was looking at an ex-INV fare earlier in the week and it was the same price to finish with an LHR-MAN leg instead of LHR-INV.
So I'm not the only one who has looked at using INV for this purpose. Just tried this route, in round numbers £2500 vs £1800.

I'm thinking, between now and June I'll need to take a day trip to INV airport and check the turnaround route @ around £100.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Why not take the LHR-INV flight on the 16 June and do the back to back at INV? That would seem to be the less risky option and also more time efficient. I did an exINV trip last year and also am doing one this year and that's what I am doing.
@KARFA, so you are booked in for a similar journey:

LHR - INV on one ticket. Make the Turn Around
INV - LHR - xxx on a separate ticket.

Then on the Return,
xxx - LHR, LHR - INV. Make the turn around
INV - LHR.

It sounds like keep my whit about me on arrival at INV, make the run to security and if theres a Q speak to an agent to get me through. Would they help if the Q is rather long?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:58 am

are you going to be checking in bags or have you decided to go hand baggage only?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:03 am
Original Poster

@MarkFlies, If I'm doing the Back to Back, I'm prepared for Hand Baggage only. I'll need 3 office days once in Louisville so can travel light.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NeilP
@KARFA, so you are booked in for a similar journey:

LHR - INV on one ticket. Make the Turn Around
INV - LHR - xxx on a separate ticket.

Then on the Return,
xxx - LHR, LHR - INV. Make the turn around
INV - LHR.

It sounds like keep my whit about me on arrival at INV, make the run to security and if theres a Q speak to an agent to get me through. Would they help if the Q is rather long?
Yes I did the same last year and am doing the same in May, albeit the INV b2b is only on the outbound since last year and this year the fare I booked was not significantly different with the last leg to LBA rather than INV.

For mine I had a similar experience to UKtravelbear and there was a U2 flight leaving around the same time so security was a little bit of a wait. However, I was still though to the gate before boarding commenced so I really wouldn't be too concerned about running or speaking to anyone. You will be at security whilst they are still letting passengers off.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks @KARFA, @UKtravelbear, and everyone else...

Well I have 8 hrs to wait and then I'm fixed! Until then I have time to change my mind. From what you are all saying with careful planning its definatley do-able, I'll look at the LHR-INV 16th June and a quick turn around to begin the run... as has been said, if I'm in LHR and the INV flight is delayed / cancelled atleast I'm in the right place with the right airline :0)
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:08 am

Why go back to Inverness? Just stay in London. I do it all the time, sometimes I even have flights booked to ABZ. nothing happens, but need just hand luggage.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:42 am

I did a few B2B's at INV (that should say something considering I live there). it's foolproof if your HBO.

If you have to overnight, both OF the evening LGW and LTN are pretty safe bets, I've never seen the LGW one cancelled but occasionally it's diverted to ABZ/GLA and then everyone is bussed not great but not a show stopper either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.