Wiki Posts
Search

Gold - it gets you in the end

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Thumbs up Gold - it gets you in the end

I was one of those travellers who was quite happy with Silver. Lounge access, fast track and seat selection are all useful to make travel more comfortable and leave me less reliant on Special Assistance. With my nomal travel pattern I had been renewing Silver consistently since 2013.

Only in the last year or more, did I consider the extra perks of gold:
- earning more avios, mainly make my 2-4-1s go further.
- the possibilty of more redemption space
- having a bit more comfort in the F lounge - I couldn't face another baked potato!

The last thing to cinch it was the new First wing at T5. Getting through security in 5 minutes with no extra walking to the lounge is perhaps the easiest T5 experience that I can remember. It's almost on par with city airport, 7 minutes from the pavement to airside when fast-tracked.

Without BAFT, I might have got to silver and stayed there. However, with the info shared here, I got to gold fairly ecoomically, with a few fun trips along the way. So thanks for all the tips and here's to more travel. ^
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Can you be enticed with CCR this year?
gustavmahler, frasier and bisonrav like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
I was one of those travellers who was quite happy with Silver. Lounge access, fast track and seat selection are all useful to make travel more comfortable and leave me less reliant on Special Assistance. With my nomal travel pattern I had been renewing Silver consistently since 2013.

Only in the last year or more, did I consider the extra perks of gold:
- earning more avios, mainly make my 2-4-1s go further.
- the possibilty of more redemption space
- having a bit more comfort in the F lounge - I couldn't face another baked potato!

The last thing to cinch it was the new First wing at T5. Getting through security in 5 minutes with no extra walking to the lounge is perhaps the easiest T5 experience that I can remember. It's almost on par with city airport, 7 minutes from the pavement to airside when fast-tracked.

Without BAFT, I might have got to silver and stayed there. However, with the info shared here, I got to gold fairly ecoomically, with a few fun trips along the way. So thanks for all the tips and here's to more travel. ^
It's the extra redemption space I like - being able to use avios to go pretty much anywhere you like on any date.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
You're right. I'm likely to fall off GGL this year after 7 years as my work travel patterns fell off a cliff for H2 2017. I've finally started again but will end up on about 1,300 TPs based on current forecast.

However, Group 1 boarding and the First Wing are such drivers for me that I'll definitely make the effort to keep Gold at least. I'll miss the jokers and the partner cards (the family are seriously unimpressed to be losing those!) but Gold is good
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Welcome… and it's been a pleasure along the way
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
This is exactly what happened to me.
Was happy at silver, but my flights were getting me close to 1500TP, and a quick creative routing got me Gold.

Haven't looked back since.
TPRun likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Remembering this was discussed, one of the times we met at a pre-DO/DO, and you being happy with Silver at that time. Welcome to Gold, hope you find it worthwhile.

Or as Mae West allegedly said: Too much of the good is what any woman deserves
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Good to hear it - I'm chasing Gold this year and I like to read the enjoyment of it to know I'm potentially doing the right thing
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'm loving Gold. Definitely worth the stretch
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
You're right. I'm likely to fall off GGL this year after 7 years as my work travel patterns fell off a cliff for H2 2017. I've finally started again but will end up on about 1,300 TPs based on current forecast.

However, Group 1 boarding and the First Wing are such drivers for me that I'll definitely make the effort to keep Gold at least. I'll miss the jokers and the partner cards (the family are seriously unimpressed to be losing those!) but Gold is good
But at least (hopefully) they are thrilled about having their parent back :-)
ThatT1Feeling and arpy like this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; AC 50K
GGL will get you next! The F lounge is getting a bit too crowded for me I am <1000 TP away! Hopefully the upcoming Asia milk-run and a couple NA/Russia trips will cinch the deal within the next 60 days.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for the cheerful Thread, GadgetGal ... just what is needed on a cold day!

I confess we Golden Oldies don’t use many of the Gold benefits. I could never contemplate travelling with our joint baggage allowance, for a start! But there’s a warm feeling in knowing there’s the F Wing on our rare LHR visits, access to FLounges (where available) and access in to AA’s ones in the US. Oh, and booking Row 1, which we are getting used to!! Already renewed for next Membership year (wef May) and working hard on booking/planning for 2018/19 .... just one more big trip to fix for Spring 19

I guess the bottom line is that we’re not missing out on much that BAEC has to offer, and enjoying being slightly ‘forced’ to take that extra holiday to ensure renewal
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Nice to read a completely upbeat thread.

Can we have more, please?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Mine comes through again as soon as the failure of my last AUP to post correctly gets rectified - so should be a couple of days. I also ummed and ahhed about it. I think without the book J fly F one leg and get the TPs thing this year I wouldn't even have been close and wouldn't have been that bothered about chasing it. But once I knew the projected run rate put me up somewhere around 1350-1400 it was worth that small extra push...

Best guess, as the initiative seems to have been resurrected, I may have a similar scenario again in just over a year's time. We'll see.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
There is, of course, more to life than BAEC Gold .... apparently.

Long life, good health and happiness are also rumoured to be goiden things

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.