Wiki Posts
Search

Changing a BA flight and avoiding the fee

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Changing a BA flight and avoiding the fee

Will BA ever waive the £150 change fee does anyone know to change flights after 24 hours of booking?

As far as I know no dispensation given to GCHs or any other parameters? I can see there is availability on a late flight out tonight to NYC and was considering changing my flight to tonight from tomorrow but I’m assuming it’ll be at least 150, so I’ll probably just wait it out. More curious if there are any times or experiences that one can avoid the fee
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If you could change flights, as a GCH holder for free - then no one would ever book a more expensive flexible ticket - this will not be changing !
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Because it's a different day, I can't see any way around this, whether Blue or Prem change fees are charged, it's not some discretionary component, it's integral to the ticket. If it was the same day then you could see if the airport would oblige, and JFK is a good place for this, but the only time I have heard of change fees not being charged is when on a waitlist for flight A, which doesn't clear, but waitlist B clears and is deemed to be OK by all concerned.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Cool thanks. Was just curious more than anything. You never know, someone out there may have had their fee lowered or completely waived really close to the date of departure as flights become fuller. My flight tomorrow looks rammed.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:29 am

If there's been a schedule change in the past that you've not already used, then I've had success changing within days of flights.

I think over 50% of my flights this year have had a schedule change, which is very nice of BA as it gives me a flexible ticket for the price of a discounted one.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Sometimes if you call within 48 hours of booking they might stretch it depending on your situation. Further down the line you're only likely to get it waived if something has gone wrong with their scheduling.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on the reason, the fee might be covered by your travel insurance.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by aardvarkdave
If there's been a schedule change in the past that you've not already used, then I've had success changing within days of flights.

I think over 50% of my flights this year have had a schedule change, which is very nice of BA as it gives me a flexible ticket for the price of a discounted one.
Indeed so.

I got a text this morning to say that my outgoing flight LGW to MLA had been brought forward from 07:45 to 06:15 and with Titan. Far too early to get to the airport but they let me change it to the previous day when the flight leaves at 07:15.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:34 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
I'm looking at booking a LAX-LHR return in WT+ but have no idea when the return will actually be. I'll end up putting in what amounts to a dummy return. Is the standard change fee still £150 (plus any change in ticket price)?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BLG
I'm looking at booking a LAX-LHR return in WT+ but have no idea when the return will actually be. I'll end up putting in what amounts to a dummy return. Is the standard change fee still £150 (plus any change in ticket price)?
there is no standard fee, it really all depends on specific ticket rules and can go from 0 (flexible) to entirely non changeable (some sale fares). You really need to look before you book or may be in for a bad surprise!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:17 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by orbitmic

there is no standard fee, it really all depends on specific ticket rules and can go from 0 (flexible) to entirely non changeable (some sale fares). You really need to look before you book or may be in for a bad surprise!
Thanks. I'll check.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.