Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I like working in Club Europe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
I end up working on almost all the flights I take. I live near STN, however, so you can guess which airline I end up flying most of the time.
That said, I always book an exit row and, onboard right now, I am delighted to find that I have the entire row to myself, which is a rare treat - looks like FR’s capacity management let them down on this occasion - the norm is loads near 100%. If I have work to do, I’ll get it done, somehow, provided I am physically able to open the laptop - hence the exit row, it’s otherwise impossible, especially if, like me, you’re a gentleman of stature...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
... each of which was in row 1, ...
I think that's the key. Working in any row other than 1 or exit rows just isn't practical for me as I am well over 6' and have the physique (if not the athleticism) of a rugby player! Trying to work on a laptop (even a Macbook Air) is a real squeeze in any other row

My last 7 sectors (all in ET) have been good for working as well - exit row every time and theoretical seating working a treat...
justforfun likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
............ Working in any row other than 1 or exit rows just isn't practical for me as I am well over 6' ....

My last 7 sectors (all in ET) have been good for working as well - exit row every time and theoretical seating working a treat...
As you say, with so little seat pitch in CE (other than row 1), perhaps a new fare type could be offered, which would encompass Row 1 only, along with exit rows of ET.

Could be marketed to laptop users as ‘Working Class’ ........
ThatT1Feeling and Kgmm77 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I saw the thread title I had a vision of Sixth Freedom wearing lipstick and a BA uniform....thought he'd joined Mixed Fleet.

Only ever seen one guy 'work' on a flight and he was sitting across the aisle from me on the LH dayflight from FRA-EZE in F. He must have been at it for 13 hours and didn't even stop during meal services. He looked knackered on arrival. Thankfully it's something I've never had to do.
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
I'm curious - how many people have company security policies that place limitations on working on planes (or in lounges)?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
manord,
I used to worry about security. However, our tech guys said that if the laptop was allowed in to our system/e-mail, then it was secure. Or, as secure as they could make it! Even from otherwise risky, public, open wi-fi, like Awfulcoffeebucks.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:32 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
One of the great pleasures in flying for me is the fact once on board I can select plane safe mode a shut off the outside world. Even when I used to fly on business work stopped when I left the office. Like HIDDY I'm lucky that I have never had to work on an aircraft.
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
manord,
I used to worry about security. However, our tech guys said that if the laptop was allowed in to our system/e-mail, then it was secure. Or, as secure as they could make it! Even from otherwise risky, public, open wi-fi, like Awfulcoffeebucks.
I meant more in terms of being overlooked or overheard than the security of the wifi connection.

In other words, does your company limit you from working on confidential material (or any material not explicitly public) in any public place?
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by manord
I'm curious - how many people have company security policies that place limitations on working on planes (or in lounges)?
We are mandated to use one of those screen protectors which stop people either side of you being able to see what's on your laptop screen. If there is any breach of client confidentiality on public transport and it's proven that you aren't using the screen protector then there can be significant repercussions. Otherwise we are OK to work in public spaces, mindful of course of anyone overtly trying to sneak a peek.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Flights aren't for working!! They're for er, funning .
​​​​
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
WiFi on my flight LHR-PHL today, not sure what I think about it. Makes me want to ch3ck emails etc rather then zoom out and read a book
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
We are mandated to use one of those screen protectors which stop people either side of you being able to see what's on your laptop screen. If there is any breach of client confidentiality on public transport and it's proven that you aren't using the screen protector then there can be significant repercussions. Otherwise we are OK to work in public spaces, mindful of course of anyone overtly trying to sneak a peek.
Of course, those screen protectors might be argued to create a false sense of security - they don't work as well as people expect - and don't protect against viewing from all angles (eg from anyone behind you).
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Sealink
Flights aren't for working!! They're for er, funning .
​​​​
I wish!
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Work? What's that!?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by manord
Of course, those screen protectors might be argued to create a false sense of security - they don't work as well as people expect - and don't protect against viewing from all angles (eg from anyone behind you).
I’ve often seen a lot of confidential information in documents and on laptops when people work on them in airport lounges and on planes and trains and it’s not from the want of trying. We only need to refresh our minds with Flyertalks very own Some people have no manners

Printing and breakfast. . My absolute pet hate though is the walker talkers in the lounge or people on the train trying to sound important. Most of them seem to want to go through their contact list saying what they are doing where they are off to and if they leave a number following a colleagues doing this I’ve texted that person asking them to talk a bit louder as we didn’t quite get all the details of xxx deal. That seems to shut them up pretty quickly.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Last edited by KeaneJohn; Feb 20, 2018 at 11:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.