Search

Another excellent F experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Another excellent F experience

No, this is not a sarcastic title, so if you clicked on here hoping to read and partake in some more BA bashing, you can stop reading now. All others, you are welcome to read about yet another great F flight on BA. (It also confirmed to me that I shan't travel in CW, EVER AGAIN )

Flight: BA12 (For those not in-the-know this is the A380 SIN-LHR daily service 23:15-5:15)
Seat: 1A (Yes, I like the privacy)
Full Routing: BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS

Check-in
Check-in in BKK with CX was excellent and queue-less as always. Checked my carry-on BKK-SIN-LHR so I didn't have to drag it around with me when I go out at SIN.

I exited the Terminal 4 (lovely, brand new terminal with a different carper pattern). Got a taxi to East Lagoon Hawker centre (About $12) where I met a friend for some food prior to my flight. Prices are local so we paid about $15 for 20 satay sticks, $9 for two large cups of sugar cane and lemon drinks, $60 for a lovely curry crab, and about $18 for the sambal stingray. Photos do not do justice to how tasty delicious the food was!

Satay Singapore

Sambal Stingray SIngapore

Curry Crab Singapore

SIN Lounge:
Arrived back at SIN T1 this time at around 2030 local for my 2315 departure. Immigration automated with no queue and as security is done at the gate I was in the lounge within 5 min of drop-off at T1. (For premium check-in get off at Stand 2 of T1, not stand 4/5 as suggested for BA).
Lounge experience was varied. I visited the CCR Bar, but it was rather crowded and gloomy (no windows and only one table seating left. I tried the satay here as well but it just wasn't that great so decided to stick with diet coke (alas no Coke Zero). I stayed only about 30 min, then got a shower (nice and clean, no wait, better then BA Arrivals lounge at LHR).
I then moved on to QF lounge, which is much nicer with a long bar and cocktails. The food I didn't find as appealing this time (some pork bans on offer and also stir fried rice, beef curry, and a lot of salads.) I ate two desserts, azuki beans on vanilly pudding, and some taro balls with coconut cream and fresh apricots. Overall I preferred the QF lounge for the space and food and drink.

QF Lounge Desserts

SIN Gate experience:
I headed to the gate about 40 minutes before departure, it was D46 (about 8 min walk from lounge complex). The security at the gate was quick, but gate crowded and just boarded handicapped as I got there. Usual chaos near the front of the gate when people couldn't make way for Group 1. Boarding was by groups, to the extent it was announced but not enforced. I made way through the riff raff to the front and got to my plane early on, leaving the masses when I joined bridge to rows 1-4.

SIN BA12 boarding experience:
Greeted at the door by a lovely crew member who pointed to my seat. Friendly suggestion that I probably know my way, to which I replied that I shall ask if I get lost. 2 steps later I am at my seat. Caroline approaches offering slippers, pyjamas, and male amenity kit within 10 seconds. Her Scottish accent has me drooling, but I compose myself and enquire whether I could instead opt for a ladies' version. Caroline suggests she will bring me that on AS WELL. I see we are gonna get along. Claire then approaches to take bring me a menu and a couple of minutes later to take my order. I duly chose from the menu (shown below) even though I wasn't planning to eat just yet, but Claire wanted to make sure I get my choice on everything.
Lovely Irish CSD, who recognised me from a previous flight, I just knew this was gonna be a good flight. IFE worked fine, seat was clean, headset worked fine, pashmina and slippers there. Only 1 negative thought about the boarding was when I was approached by a prick (now I wouldn't normally call people such names, but I noticed this couple during my brief stay in BA CCR Bar and thought they were horrible, the kind of entitled wanna-be-royalty treated on their once-a-year trip abroad. He also was very dismissive of his disabled wife on a wheelchair and I just didn't like him.) Anyway he approaches me, clearly seeing a young face. Opens with: 'Do you like 1A?' I resisted the urge and replied in a very mellow teasing manner 'I do, It's the best seat onboard and offers the best privacy' Gent: 'So do I. I usually sit here. You wouldn't ...' I interupted: 'I am sure you will enjoy 3F tonight.' He left me alone.

Flight:
I decided to go to sleep immediately after take off as I have just had a dinner in Singapore. Claire said it were not a problem and that I can have my dinner when I wake up. I woke up about 8:30 later over Turkey and enquired as to my dinner (I really dislike the breakfast offerings so this worked out really well). As I was getting hungry by now, and as I was hoping to eat sufficiently, I said to Claire I will have the order I made and whatever else she has left over, provided it doesn't infringe on her breakfast prep. She was delightful and at no point did she even suggest that she has 13 other breakfasts to dish out in about an hour. I spent the time whilst my dinner was cooking chatting with the SFO and Claire in the galley, the usual aviation stuff discussed. Claire then suggested she needs me seated so she can start bringing the food. So here comes the amouse-bouche, the beef soba started, the soup, the duck on rice (double portion), and both desserts (the banana cake with pear is really nice), and finally cheeses. I got stuffed. Did some work and before I realised we were ready to land. Really nice flight was head!

Amouse Bouche (BA12 Feb 2018)
​​​

Beef and soba starter (BA12 Feb 2018)

Pea and cheese croutons soup (BA12 Feb 2018)

Oriental duck with Jasmine rice (BA12 Feb 2018)

Left: Banana hot cake with pear and clotted cream Right: Trio of desserts (BA12 Feb 2018)
​​​​​​​
Landing:
Usual landing procedures were followed, small donation of various coins made, landing 20 min ahead of schedule. Unfortunately that meant the HKG and Lagos got in about the same time. As it happens Caroline and another crew members are headed as passengers to various EU places, and I am connecting, so I offer to guest them into CCR for a champagne breakfast with me, which they excitedly accept.

Arrivals experience:
Crowded train at 4:55 at terminal 5C meant I took the passages at level -4 for some exercise. Then a 50 min wait for my luggage (once again no priority whatsoever...). Back through first wing with my cabin crew to enjoy a light breakfast and chit chat in the Concorde room.

Overall judgement:
9/10
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Nice review, and glad that went well.

Personally I couldn't envisage being able to eat all that food at one sitting, but it all looked delicious [with the possible exception of the beef starter, which looks more like a main course already!]
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
Great to hear.

When you get great WW crew it makes all the difference as they are the best. Shame BA don't appreciate this anymore
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thanks for sharing what I find is a typical BA First experience ^
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:54 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Thanks for sharing what I find is a typical BA First experience ^
Agreed, hence ‘another’ in the title.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks the the report nufnuf77. I’m very much looking forward to my LAX trip in 1A on the A380 next month so fingers crossed for a crew as good as yours!
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Aren't you only allowed one guest in the CCR?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ds2016
Aren't you only allowed one guest in the CCR?
GGLs travelling in First are allowed two guests.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
GGLs travelling in First are allowed two guests.
Thank you.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
nufnuf77 - And a thank you from me for posting. Matches my recent F experience on the SIN-LHR route. Doc Copper.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I've been pondering whether to do the same tonight, food wise. I always do it when flying out east, basically eat in the CCR then sleep and have lunch. The fact that I have a full work day tomorrow is making me re-consider, but we'll see how hungry I am when I get on board.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:11 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
A breath of fresh air. Thank you for posting.
Sealink and navylad like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:15 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
I've been pondering whether to do the same tonight, food wise. I always do it when flying out east, basically eat in the CCR then sleep and have lunch. The fact that I have a full work day tomorrow is making me re-consider, but we'll see how hungry I am when I get on board.
I find the dine on demand in F very useful so I can get my clock adjusted to destination and eat when hungry. Only once have I been refused on lhr-hkg flight by a not very nice crew, but never have I had an issue with it. The crew were really great on this flight and well done will be sent.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:18 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The food does look good. I note you are using F in a functional rather than an inspirational way.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting! Can't believe someone would approach you and ask a seat change without a valid reason - not even to be near a loved one - but because it's their "normal seat" !

Also, last F back from SIN in F I waited almost an hour for bags which kept my pick up waiting - so did the crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.