Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A rare First flight & far from impressed......

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
Which I guess goes to show the failing on the flight I had..... a pre-ordered meal for my wife was not available so choice refused, my first choice refused, second choice also refused. That is a pretty high error ratio for a premium product. Bad luck maybe... but good enough? No, not in my books.
Putting aside ‘life isn’t perfect’ or ‘bad luck’ scenarios. If you sat a large group of luxury senior managers in a room from all sorts of luxurious high end businesses, whether it be hotels, restaurants or airlines, I can bet your bottom dollar that the majority would overwhelmingly vote in your favour that this simply isn’t good enough.

I‘m sure whats-his-face(?), the chaperone from Singapore’s First class whom is making quite a name for himself on TV, would keel over at this sort of experience!
Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which I guess goes to show the failing on the flight I had..... a pre-ordered meal for my wife was not available so choice refused, my first choice refused, second choice also refused. That is a pretty high error ratio for a premium product. Bad luck maybe... but good enough? No, not in my books.
Yes that's unacceptable.
However the forum doesn't often see complaints from F passengers not being given their first never mind second choice dishes which makes me think something badly went wrong on your flight. I'd be inclined to send them a letter about it and expect some service recovery. I don't think you need to start self catering with these on your future F flights.

Old Feb 18, 2018, 7:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated. ^ I'll have a look and see what is on offer and if anything really grabs me then I'll preorder that but otherwise just go with the flow on the day.

Cheers, safe travels.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
Um, they do. They are the de facto flag carrier for the United Kingdom.
What on earth is a "de facto flag carrier"?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
[LEFT]
Absolutely, as I said in my first reply, there is absolutely no excuse for the poor service you received, what you experienced should never happen. Something went awry, and I hope you have made a formal complaint.

If you don’t mind me asking, how far in to the flight did you order your meals? Was this at the start of the flight, or later on?

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Feb 19, 2018 at 12:44 am Reason: Remove deleted quote
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by simons1
They think they are, and have convinced a lot of other people that it’s a fact.

They are, of course, UK’s biggest and farthest-reaching airline, but I don’t think anyone has the authority (apart from HMQ) to make it official.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite

de facto

adverb
  1. 1.
    in fact, whether by right or not.
adjective
  1. 1.
    existing or holding a specified position in fact but not necessarily by legal right.
    "a de facto one-party system"

Flag Carrier

A flag carrier is a transportation company, such as an airline or shipping company, that, being locally registered in a given state, enjoys preferential rights or privileges accorded by the government for international operations. The term also refers to any carrier that is or was owned by a government, even long after their privatization when preferential rights or privileges continue.

While I'm sure you already knew that, I hope that helps in clearing things up.
T8191, Tobias-UK, GTR56 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
BA used to have a "rep" on the FT forum..not heard from them for ages. This thread deserves a response. I guess they have given up on that as well now?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by T8191
They think they are, and have convinced a lot of other people that it’s a fact.

They are, of course, UK’s biggest and farthest-reaching airline, but I don’t think anyone has the authority (apart from HMQ) to make it official.
Farthest reaching, maybe. Biggest - debatable - depends what measure you decide to use.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the clarity, flyuk ^

There’s far too much misuse of language here, such as ‘premium’, ‘fine dining’ ... and ‘enhancement’
Old Feb 18, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Farthest reaching, maybe. Biggest - debatable - depends what measure you decide to use.
I’ll take a punt on “most aeroplanes”, “longest route mileage” and ... CEO salary?
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by flyuk

de facto

adverb
  1. 1.
    in fact, whether by right or not.
adjective
  1. 1.
    existing or holding a specified position in fact but not necessarily by legal right.
    "a de facto one-party system"

Flag Carrier

A flag carrier is a transportation company, such as an airline or shipping company, that, being locally registered in a given state, enjoys preferential rights or privileges accorded by the government for international operations. The term also refers to any carrier that is or was owned by a government, even long after their privatization when preferential rights or privileges continue.

While I'm sure you already knew that, I hope that helps in clearing things up.
So what preferential rights or privileges would you say that BA enjoys from the government? A few rights on legacy routes I guess but I think it's stretching it a bit.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what preferential rights or privileges would you say that BA enjoys from the government? A few rights on legacy routes I guess but I think it's stretching it a bit.
Hey, who here is actually saying “Flag Carrier”, apart from BA? Don’t shoot the messenger!

Last edited by T8191; Feb 18, 2018 at 10:06 am Reason: iPad typing and Rioja
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:11 am

Hey, who here is actually saying “Flag Carrier”, apart from BA? Don’t shoot the messenger!
See post 179.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:17 am

I’ll take a punt on “most aeroplanes”, “longest route mileage” and ... CEO salary?
Interesting. Aircraft yes. Passsenger numbers no. Salary - Cruz was slightly ahead but quite likely to be reversed in the next financial year as the IT fiasco and falling NPS could be quite painful for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.