Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold, would it be worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
The hard part of going for gold with limited long haul flying is that if you have 2 for 1 vouchers in your account you have to decide between using them with Avios and potentially missing out on Gold or paying cash and not using them and getting Gold.
Indeed, the curse of the 241

We've got ourselves caught for 2018/19 with exactly that issue. Can't resist the 241 to ZA in December, and the rest of 2018 is largely booked ... so just 960 TP in MMB for now. We will 'have to' pack in a some extra in Feb-Apr 19 to renew - probably a PHX [ex-DUB] for 720.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by All She Wrote
I'm anticipating the additional trip cost of gold being somewhere around the £1000 to £1500 mark.
As you fly in J anyway I don't see the point in spending that amount of money just to get Gold status.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Welcome to flyertalk OP!

As others have said, Gold benefits are really in the eye of the beholder. Some things that may make it worthwhile for you, if you usually fly in premium cabins anyway (in which case you'd get lounge access and priority security regardless):

- additional Y reward seats (which may be useful for short haul)
- ability to force open reward seats for double the usual avios cost
- (in my experience) significantly better IRROPS handling
- access to some really great lounges around the world, eg QF First, CX The Pier / The Wing / all the others, and not forgetting CX First in LHR T3 (Also Finnair Premium lounge, various AA Flagship lounges etc etc)
- preferred seats, eg 1A/K on the 747 (which is particularly fun, albeit your fellow traveller also needs to be a Gold to take advantage), 1A/K on A380 / 777 / other aircraft, row 1 CE etc etc
- on a non-full flight you have a better chance of an empty seat next to you in economy, courtesy of the FLY system (I enjoy this quite often on domestic travel)
- First Wing is significantly easier for connections than going through usual airside transit on arrival at LHR from a non-domestic flight
- more chance of your first choice of meal in flight, which is a particular issue in premium cabins where there are likely to be a lot of other status passengers (who would otherwise be ahead of you), and bearing in mind BA have a longstanding tradition of loading significantly less catering than is actually required for a given flight...

In addition to what others have suggested re creative routings to maximise TPs, you may also wish to consider starting your trip from INV, which doesn't have APD as a quirk of the APD regulations, and the positioning flights there / back would obviously earn additional TPs - not sure about fare pricing but presumably it won't be a lot more than starting ex-LHR, and may be cheaper / easier than a traditional overnight TP run. Also ex-DUB is relatively smooth.

Happy travels
All She Wrote likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Indeed, the curse of the 241

We've got ourselves caught for 2018/19 with exactly that issue. Can't resist the 241 to ZA in December, and the rest of 2018 is largely booked ... so just 960 TP in MMB for now. We will 'have to' pack in a some extra in Feb-Apr 19 to renew - probably a PHX [ex-DUB] for 720.
Why are you after gold status? Even silver would cover you for lounge access on your economy trips.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Why are you after gold status? Even silver would cover you for lounge access on your economy trips.
For numerous reasons cited above

Yes, we only ever fly J, so a lot of benefits come with that. However, our holiday regime entails sufficient l/h travel to get us Gold (or perilously close anyway). If in doubt, we just take an extra holiday to somewhere warm. This year is a bit of a muddle due to external influences (visitors, hospital treatment) so not quite as smooth as usual!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As you fly in J anyway I don't see the point in spending that amount of money just to get Gold status.
With the helpful hints provided in this thread it shouldn't cost that much more, or even any more, with judicious routings.
Flying in J wouldn't get you access to first class lounges if having silver status. The food and especially the drink is much better in first class lounges. You would also get group 1 boarding, First Wing check-in, etc. To some this is worth it.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
For me the biggest formal benefit to being gold is the increased Avios earning rate and the First Wing.

But I will say I've also noticed a marked change in the "soft" benefits on both BA & AA since rising above Silver, which certainly makes me want to retain Gold. So to the OP I'd say go for it if the cost isn't too high, or through more FT appropriate routing to the US
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
I'm chasing gold at the moment (for the first time) and this thread has provided some excellent points of views, both for and against.

It does seem, however, that it's purely down to people's perception of the benefits received with Gold. Some people like one lounge, some like another. Some people use the increased Y seats, the F lounges in global destinations and have had better handling of tricky situations than others. Thanks for sharing these opinions - makes for a great thread to read!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Calloway
..................You would also get group 1 boarding, ................ To some this is worth it.
Just by way of clarification : is this by any chance the very same as group 2 (or even group 3) boarding, as reported recently by a good number of pax over on the boarding experiences thread ..........
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
The First check-in is a con. It might make some feel special. I am not persuaded. I have not had any check in problems with Y or Y+ or J for a long time, no matter which airline. Why go all the way to S when N is more convenient ... Anyway, I prefer the Upper Class check in.
I fail to see how the Upper Class (I'm assuming you mean VS at LHR) check-in could possibly be better than the BA offering. Isn't it the case that the security lane is on the side of T3 security that makes you walk through a duty free shop (which the regular, but busier, fast track bypasses). Then once through security you have to walk through the main terminal to the lounge. I'm sure VS would make it on a par with the first wing if it was feasible but the layout of the terminal makes it impossible.

The BA one means you don't even see a single shop after clearing security you're straight into the lounge. It can't get easier than that. You mention not seeing the point of having to walk from N to S to get to first check-in which implies you use the HEX or tube rather than getting dropped off by a taxi. In that case T5 wins on that too as you have to walk through a bunch of underground tunnels before reaching T3 so I'd say the route from T5 station to first check-in is shorter than T3 to UC wing.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Aaaaand we're back, that was quite a frustrating 24hours. I've just planned out my trip in November to YYZ via Dublin (J) and a AA connection to PIT from there (F), earning 520 TP for around the £1900 mark, all things well I think that'll get me there this year now, thanks a lot to everyone for the valuable insight, the past day has been quite the learning curve!

Originally Posted by subject2load

Just by way of clarification : is this by any chance the very same as group 2 (or even group 3) boarding, as reported recently by a good number of pax over on the boarding experiences thread ..........
In short haul you'll often get group 2 and 3 members that'll stand at the front of the priority boarding line and just go up immediately. I've often seen the gate agents not even bother calling C/E or Group 1 first, they've just called the whole line forwards. In long haul they're quite picky about making sure Group 1 boards first, from time to time maybe they get lazy, but I've always been amongst the first 10 non special assistance pax when I've boarded long haul in first up until now.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by All She Wrote

In short haul you'll often get group 2 and 3 members that'll stand at the front of the priority boarding line and just go up immediately. I've often seen the gate agents not even bother calling C/E or Group 1 first, they've just called the whole line forwards. In long haul they're quite picky about making sure Group 1 boards first, from time to time maybe they get lazy, but I've always been amongst the first 10 non special assistance pax when I've boarded long haul in first up until now.
Yep, a fairly familiar picture ..... not much new really.

What might be described as an inconsistent hotch-potch ....... ranging from the super-efficient to virtual chaos.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by layz
I fail to see how the Upper Class (I'm assuming you mean VS at LHR) check-in could possibly be better than the BA offering. Isn't it the case that the security lane is on the side of T3 security that makes you walk through a duty free shop (which the regular, but busier, fast track bypasses). Then once through security you have to walk through the main terminal to the lounge. I'm sure VS would make it on a par with the first wing if it was feasible but the layout of the terminal makes it impossible.

The BA one means you don't even see a single shop after clearing security you're straight into the lounge. It can't get easier than that. You mention not seeing the point of having to walk from N to S to get to first check-in which implies you use the HEX or tube rather than getting dropped off by a taxi. In that case T5 wins on that too as you have to walk through a bunch of underground tunnels before reaching T3 so I'd say the route from T5 station to first check-in is shorter than T3 to UC wing.
Never done the First wing. But speaking as a former VS Gold, their drive-thru drop off, private check-in area and security is quite a unique experience and although you do come out in the main terminal, it is at most 2 minutes to the lounge - probably about the same distance walking overall as walk from taxi through to First wing and onto the lounge. Most importantly, is for J !!

This gives you an idea (albeit idealised!)

Last edited by gliderpilot; Feb 14, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Never done the First wing. But speaking as a former VS Gold, their drive-thru drop off, private check-in area and security is quite a unique experience and although you do come out in the main terminal, it is at most 2 minutes to the lounge - probably about the same distance walking overall as T5 taxi through to First wing and to the lounge. Most importantly, is for J !!
Some people see the first wing being so out of the way as a negative, I can imagine it would be if you used the 96KG baggage allowance, but it's a very quiet end of the hall which is nice. As you say for a business class product VS is much nicer than BA CW, I don't think anyone would argue with you there, the queue in J check in for BA can be outrageously long.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
Never done the First wing. But speaking as a former VS Gold, their drive-thru drop off, private check-in area and security is quite a unique experience and although you do come out in the main terminal, it is at most 2 minutes to the lounge - probably about the same distance walking overall as walk from taxi through to First wing and onto the lounge. Most importantly, is for J !!
The private drop off and security channel does look impressive although I'd still have to put the BA first wing ahead just because of the direct lounge access.

That doesn't mean that the BA ground product is better overall. I find the VS lounge (thanks to BD gold back in the day) better than the Flounge so travelling J or below then I'd say VS would still win.

It shouldn't be underestimated though how useful the first wing is to a regular BA traveller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.