Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage accrual on (in)voluntary downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Mileage accrual on (in)voluntary downgrade

I couldn't find a thread that would answer my question, so here we go. If an unlucky passenger gets an involuntary downgrade on a revenue flight - do you receive mileage at the rate for your originally booked cabin or the one you travel in? Bonus question - when the airline looks for volunteers for downgrade and you go for it - do you receive mileage as per originally booked cabin or the one you travel in?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
In the first case you can apply to BA for Original Routing Credit (ORC). That’s Avios and Tier Points.

I don’t think that works in the 2nd scenario, though. Others will undoubtedly prove me wrong!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
So a bit of a background to the story - I travelled on LX over the weekend (nb. excellent J product on 77W) and it was oversold. They were looking for volunteers for downgrade for a decent compensation, but I was very keen on sampling their longhaul J product and getting my miles. Since most of my travel is with OW airlines, I was curious what it looks like here. Specifically in case of voluntary downgrade - which class would we expect the miles to be awarded at - lowest available in lower cabin? full fare in lower cabin?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Too complicated for me!

Calling Experts!!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by wmaciej
So a bit of a background to the story - I travelled on LX over the weekend (nb. excellent J product on 77W) and it was oversold. They were looking for volunteers for downgrade for a decent compensation, but I was very keen on sampling their longhaul J product and getting my miles. Since most of my travel is with OW airlines, I was curious what it looks like here. Specifically in case of voluntary downgrade - which class would we expect the miles to be awarded at - lowest available in lower cabin? full fare in lower cabin?
I would expect full fare Y in lower cabin. LX J is indeed excellent
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Specifically in case of voluntary downgrade - which class would we expect the miles to be awarded at - lowest available in lower cabin? full fare in lower cabin?
I think you would be entitled to ORC as mentioned above after claiming it. What you would get automatically would simply be based on the actual bucket you would be rebooked into, which will depend on availability.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:39 am

I think that depends on LX's policy. Not all airlines follow an ORC approach.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I think that depends on LX's policy. Not all airlines follow an ORC approach.
yeah, I know that. I’m interested on the crowsourced wisdom on BA policy here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.