Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bygone Caviar Era: Balik Smoked Salmon Should be a Staple

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bygone Caviar Era: Balik Smoked Salmon Should be a Staple

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:00 am

For real Balik Salmon, Swiss First is where it's at. Want caviar, that's on Lufthansa First.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by florens
I had it in Club Europe yesterday and it was really very, very delicious!

Which route was that?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Which route was that?
All LHR long routes have the same menu.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Want caviar, that's on Lufthansa First.
Hmmm... or AF, CX, SQ, JL, EK, QR, and many others!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Yuk. I hate nasty farmed fish eggs.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd eaten caviar many times before so it wasn't just for bragging rights I chose to have it on LH or TG when I flew with them in F. The meagre serving on both were okay but I do think it's one of the most overrated food items served in a F cabin. My wife detests anything fishy so chose an alternative starter which had me thinking I should have followed her example as they looked delicious.

I wonder if the younger generation of today hold caviar in such high esteem as the older generations?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by orbitmic
All LHR long routes have the same menu.
Yes but he said Club Europe, on which the meals vary according to bands. I do LHR-MUC regularly and haven't seen anything like that so I'm guessing it's LHR-ATH or something.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:03 am

Yes but he said Club Europe, on which the meals vary according to bands. I do LHR-MUC regularly and haven't seen anything like that so I'm guessing it's LHR-ATH or something.
Well, traditionally, the starter of the long then becomes the main for the short/medium in another rotation so we might see it come on those flights too but yes, it was on the long menu.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'd eaten caviar many times before so it wasn't just for bragging rights I chose to have it on LH or TG when I flew with them in F. The meagre serving on both were okay but I do think it's one of the most overrated food items served in a F cabin. My wife detests anything fishy so chose an alternative starter which had me thinking I should have followed her example as they looked delicious.

I wonder if the younger generation of today hold caviar in such high esteem as the older generations?
It's perfectly fine that not everyone loves everything. It doesn't make it 'overrated' except by someone's personal standards. As for the age question, if I think of the queues I saw around the caviar counters during the Christmas and New Year periods in both Britain and France, it certainly seemed to excite a lot of young people! For what it's worth, I personally do not believe that food tastes are primarily generational anyway. I know both old and young people who only like bacon butties, burgers, and chips, I know both young and old people who love kale and quinoa salad, goji berries, and poke, I know both old and young people who are vegetarian, who love offals, and indeed who love foie gras and caviar! I also know old and young people who dislike all of those things.

Ultimately, many airlines have surveyed their F pax over the years on their tastes. There are plenty of people who fly F regularly and can think of nothing better than being able to order a soup and a salad or even skip their meal entirely. Equally, however, there are significant numbers who want luxury foods, and among all of those, nothing gets more mentions than caviar. The latest such survey I saw was when AF was rethinking their P product and the results were overwhelming: not everyone at all wanted luxury food or luxury drinks, and all tastes are represented here or there, but among the significant proportion who do, caviar for food and top end Champagne for drinks remain the two most iconic products that were mentioned as what those who wanted luxury offerings said they wanted to be offered. By very, very far.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Which route was that?
​​​​​​@florens had it on LHR-HEL, I had exactly same menu on LHR-WAW. This month any "long" catered flight from LHR will include this starter.
florens likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.