Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LinkedIn search by "Flight Crew"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a privacy discussion. It is not as though BA hacked OP's accounts or gained access through some deception. Rather, OP chooses to maintain a public LinkedIn profile which contains as much information as he chooses to make public. That information is there for his friends, colleagues, recruiters, and stalkers alike.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:38 am

Oh dear, I have opened a can of worms…

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Not to defend either BA or the FB borg, but i believe that's just something called Oauth2, and is genuinely designed to aid the consumer, as much as anything can be. Happy to defer to security experts, but my limited understanding is Oauth2 is a good thing.
OAuth2 is fine, from a technological perspective of not revealing login credentials to other sites. My beef is with how so many services now have disabled (or made very hard to find) their own traditional email-based logins, in favour of supporting OAuth from the major social networks. The result is that a) those social networks have an even better profile of your online activities, in terms of other sites you use; and b) often, though not always, the requesting site will also want access to a greater or lesser amount of your social network data as part of the authentication process.

The social networks make many of these features easy/convenient for developers and users for a single purpose: to tie you into their ecosystems. OAuth logins from social networks are like cuckoos eggs, in that respect.As news publishers are finding out with Facebook's recent feed changes, that leaves you at their mercy.

But my specific concern about KLM's thing was more from the perspective of "I don't want other people on my flight to know all about me and contact me via Facebook". I wouldn't want others to know all about me on a bus, if I share that journey with them, so why a plane…? The feature is actually called "Meet & Seat" and seemingly is still available.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:05 am

This is what you use your otherwise unused google plus account for, just log into everything which needs OAuth2 using google plus and you'll never see it unless you're one of the 8 people still using it...and the sites get their pound of flesh-flavoured data.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I don't use Google logged in and don't use Gmail other than for an 'anonymous' email I give to websites who I don't want to know my real email.

I do however fully accept that such protections serve very little purpose in the grand scheme of things as my data is basically all out there and all tracked in a million different ways anyway. Not to mention my real email was leaked in that enormous Experian leak so is available for all to see. But at least I take comfort in not being on twitter. Unfortunately I am on Linkedin, the creepiest of all the sites.
I would disagree. I was recently sent a $150 voucher for adverts on Linkedin and spent a frustrating half hour trying to target an ad on a vaguely relevant demographic with no success. Compare that to the precision I can achieve with Facebook.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Slighty OT but I have a tertiary email address (which does not include any part of my name) that I use for when I am asked for an email address to use wifi.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Worcester
I would disagree. I was recently sent a $150 voucher for adverts on Linkedin and spent a frustrating half hour trying to target an ad on a vaguely relevant demographic with no success. Compare that to the precision I can achieve with Facebook.
Depends what the demo target is containing. Although I still get freaked out when I get served an extremely on point ad - and i work in ad sales
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BA, QF, Avis, Marriott
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Slighty OT but I have a tertiary email address (which does not include any part of my name) that I use for when I am asked for an email address to use wifi.
I use a made-up email address: f*[email protected] or [email protected] or similar.

Obviously without masking the first vowel in the first word. I then use similarly rude and faked names if required to provide more details to 'register'. I do this because I like to send a message to the service provider, since some providers who require you to register will think nothing of on-selling your name and email address.

Where I come unstuck is when they need to email me a code for me to complete registration and go online, but thankfully in my experience most do not.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by evanstim
Where I come unstuck is when they need to email me a code for me to complete registration and go online, but thankfully in my experience most do not.
Have you tried using mailinator.com?
Stez likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
There are a couple of restaurants that Google you when you make a reservation, in order to provide customized service.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by squawk
My beef is with how so many services now have disabled (or made very hard to find) their own traditional email-based logins, in favour of supporting OAuth from the major social networks.
I can certainly agree with this as I don't "do" any form of social media. I hadn't realised that some sites were requesting access beyond that to establish identity. A bit naughty.... Must add Oauth2 onto the reading list and dig into the details more. And remind myself of the maxim with all such social media services that if you don't know what the product is, then it's you
squawk likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
I use a made-up email address: f*[email protected] or [email protected] or similar.
Just a point of pedantry, and I know you indicated them as examples, but both these domains are actually registered so in doing this you are possibly inflicting on others the fate you hope to avoid.

No issue on your general approach but maybe better to stick to domains that are specifically set aside as non-registerable, e.g. [email protected]?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

Obviously without masking the first vowel in the first word. I then use similarly rude and faked names if required to provide more details to 'register'. I do this because I like to send a message to the service provider, since some providers who require you to register will think nothing of on-selling your name and email address.

I do that too.

During the Seinfeld era it was. Nosoupforyou@
evanstim likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I can certainly agree with this as I don't "do" any form of social media. I hadn't realised that some sites were requesting access beyond that to establish identity. A bit naughty.... Must add Oauth2 onto the reading list and dig into the details more. And remind myself of the maxim with all such social media services that if you don't know what the product is, then it's you
I don't think it is that common, and it is separate to OAuth itself (AFAIK). But, for example, many of the Twitter analytics services require you to log in to your Twitter account via OAuth, and then (usually in order to function) request particular abilities, such as to read your list of followers or whatever. So Twitter must be providing some form of API to grant/revoke those permissions, through the federated sign on tokens.

More commonly, as seen on Quora, it's "just" a way of easing the sign on process for users so they don't have to remember emails/logins. But it ends up linking the data you put in different places to a single 'persona' and a lot of people don't realise the effect of this in terms of triangulating information about them, and sharing it with many companies etc. you otherwise wouldn't be comfortable sharing with (to say nothing of stalkers).

Anyhow, I'm very happy to make friends on flights - just not for that kind of matching to be done a) in advance of travelling and b) via Facebook…
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
In LinkedIn's "search appearance" list I saw that someone with job of "flight crew" had found me, as well as the regular collection of searches by recruiters, etc. I'm assuming it was a direct search as there wouldn't be much professional overlap in other searches.

Is that a part of standard procedure for some pre-flight reason (unlikely - only a single occurence that I can see for many recent flights), or a bit of post-flight stalking ?
If you have accessed LinkedIn using the lounge WiFi (or the LHR wifi, say) more than once, and a crew member has done the same, then LinkedIn sometimes pairs you by IP address and you would appear in each other’s ‘people you may know’ list. The crew member may have then wondered who you were.

Or you may have been hit on after a flight, though in that case you would probably recognize the crew member from their pic
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Or you may have been hit on after a flight.....
I usually just ask for their telephone number if I feel I’m being hit on. Usually get rejected.
Takiteasy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.