FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LinkedIn search by "Flight Crew" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1892251-linkedin-search-flight-crew.html)

EsherFlyer Feb 4, 2018 3:10 pm

LinkedIn search by "Flight Crew"

In LinkedIn's "search appearance" list I saw that someone with job of "flight crew" had found me, as well as the regular collection of searches by recruiters, etc. I'm assuming it was a direct search as there wouldn't be much professional overlap in other searches.

Is that a part of standard procedure for some pre-flight reason (unlikely - only a single occurence that I can see for many recent flights), or a bit of post-flight stalking :eek:?

LondonElite Feb 4, 2018 3:15 pm

If you have a LinkedIn profile, you are putting yourself out there. Who checks you out is not really something you can control and part of the pact you made.

TPRun Feb 4, 2018 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 29379315)
If you have a LinkedIn profile, you are putting yourself out there. Who checks you out is not really something you can control and part of the pact you made.

This is true, but that’s not what’s in question here.
The why is the curious bit.

EsherFlyer do you remember making an impression on any CC member on recent flights? ;)

golfmad Feb 4, 2018 3:34 pm

Congratulations. You've made it to my personal top ten list of nonsense threads.

EsherFlyer Feb 4, 2018 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by TPRun (Post 29379339)

This is true, but that’s not what’s in question here.
The why is the curious bit.

EsherFlyer do you remember making an impression on any CC member on recent flights? ;)

I usually try to have a friendly chat with any that have time so I'm assuming it is that, but it got me wondering if there might be a professional reason. I don't mind at all that they did, and maybe I should have a higher (well, some :p) profile on social-social rather than enterprise-social networks in case they had something on their minds...

Stez Feb 4, 2018 3:49 pm

Wasn't there a campaign a few years ago where BA tried to "get to know you better" by looking you up online?

squawk Feb 4, 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Stez (Post 29379404)
Wasn't there a campaign a few years ago where BA tried to "get to know you better" by looking you up online?

Not sure about BA, but KLM certainly had something about ‘meet your fellow travellers/seatmates’ if you logged in with Facebook... which to me is reason enough alone for federated social logins (the ‘log in with Facebook/Twitter” buttons which now appear on so many sites) to be cast into the depths of eternal hellfire and damnation...

BertieBadger Feb 4, 2018 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by squawk (Post 29379492)

(the ‘log in with Facebook/Twitter” buttons which now appear on so many sites) to be cast into the depths of eternal hellfire and damnation...

Not to defend either BA or the FB borg, but i believe that's just something called Oauth2, and is genuinely designed to aid the consumer, as much as anything can be. Happy to defer to security experts, but my limited understanding is Oauth2 is a good thing.

Ldnn1 Feb 4, 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by squawk (Post 29379492)
Not sure about BA, but KLM certainly had something about ‘meet your fellow travellers/seatmates’ if you logged in with Facebook... which to me is reason enough alone for federated social logins (the ‘log in with Facebook/Twitter” buttons which now appear on so many sites) to be cast into the depths of eternal hellfire and damnation...

I despise those logins, flatly refuse to use them. Airport wifi providers are frequent offenders in trying to impose them.

BertieBadger Feb 4, 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 29379510)
I despise those logins, flatly refuse to use them. Airport wifi providers are frequent offenders in trying to impose them.

I don't use them as I have no social accounts, but i believe fundamentally they are a sensible thing. Willing to be corrected obviously.

Edit: to add some meat to my claims, as I understand it, its a way of establishing identity without revealing passwords etc. So the idea is good. But that's very much my high level understanding

Ldnn1 Feb 4, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 29379513)
I don't use them as I have no social accounts, but i believe fundamentally they are a sensible thing. Willing to be corrected obviously.

Edit: to add some meat to my claims, as I understand it, its a way of establishing identity without revealing passwords etc. So the idea is good. But that's very much my high level understanding

I'm not sure we share the same idea as to what is 'good'. Personally I prefer not to have to reveal my identity to every company that wants it but has no need for it.

BertieBadger Feb 4, 2018 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 29379544)
I'm not sure we share the same idea as to what is 'good'. Personally I prefer not to have to reveal my identity to every company that wants it but has no need for it.

Fair comment, and this is not my area in IT so could be wrong, but as i understand it, it's more about establishing a right to use a service more than tracking individuals. Identity in the sense of establishing rights rather than names.

As a general observation, if you want to protect your identity, don't use Google at all. I accept the data I give them, but others may not. Or may not know :(

crazyanglaisy Feb 4, 2018 5:04 pm

I think I mentioned this on here a couple of years ago, but I was in CE on a sparsely populated ex-EU service when the CSD came over for a chat and asked me whether my subsequent flight to Singapore was connected to me giving a conference presentation associated with my job, which he knew quite a lot about! After a bit of banter, he admitted to having Googled me and a couple of other passengers before the flight and digested enough of my public web profile to personalise the conversation in this way. I was pretty confused at the time, but, with hindsight, I was quite impressed and appreciated his efforts. I can well imagine, however, that some passengers might not be so keen on the crew acting in this way.

Ldnn1 Feb 4, 2018 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 29379555)
Fair comment, and this is not my area in IT so could be wrong, but as i understand it, it's more about establishing a right to use a service more than tracking individuals.

As a general observation, if you want to protect your identity, don't use Google at all. I accept the data I give them, but others may not. Or may not know :(

I don't use Google logged in and don't use Gmail other than for an 'anonymous' email I give to websites who I don't want to know my real email.

I do however fully accept that such protections serve very little purpose in the grand scheme of things as my data is basically all out there and all tracked in a million different ways anyway. Not to mention my real email was leaked in that enormous Experian leak so is available for all to see. But at least I take comfort in not being on twitter. :) Unfortunately I am on Linkedin, the creepiest of all the sites.

BertieBadger Feb 4, 2018 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1 (Post 29379577)
I don't use Google logged in and don't use Gmail other than for an 'anonymous' email I give to websites who I don't want to know my real email.

I do however fully accept that such little protections serve very little purpose as my data is basically all out there and all tracked in a million different ways anyway. Not to mention my real email was leaked in that enormous Experian leak so is available for all to see. But at least I take comfort in not being on twitter. :)

Ah, well for twatter you can take comfort in that :)

Possibly we are talking at cross purposes, don't get me wrong I am very much a privacy advocate, and my reply was very much towards the general traveller. But info will be leaked no matter how much we try. I disagree with that but accept it