Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help needed left iPad on flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
This isn’t going to help the OP (apologies) but it’s a good idea to take a photo of a piece of paper (or do it electronically if you prefer) with a “if found, please contact [email protected]” message (plus telephone number, etc.) and set that as the background for the lock screen. Use a non-corporate email address for confidentiality if you prefer.
Then even if you have a PIN enabled, the finder can see the message.

(You can also use some nail varnish or similar to write the details on the back of the machine if you don’t mind the obvious side effects, and be careful of it chipping off. In extremis, a dremel or similar engraving tool would be pretty indelible.)
I use an app called contact lock (or something similar). You create a message and it adds it to your own lock screen photo. I put a phone number, email address and offer a reward if found.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:34 pm

I use an app called contact lock (or something similar). You create a message and it adds it to your own lock screen photo. I put a phone number, email address and offer a reward if found.
All Apple devices provide this for free with Find My iPhone, it's free from Apple and can provide the ability to completely lock and disable the device.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by awayIgo
I just put my iPad in flight mode and tried to find it using my iPhone. Basically the message I got was the iPad was "offline" --So, I guess "Find my iPad" won't work!--This IS disconcerting since you can place it in flight mode from a locked screen!
You can turn off access to the control centre from the lock screen. Doesn't stop someone simply turning the iPad off though. In either case, the last location should be available. There is an option to send location information on low battery - not sure if that also sends it right before going offline.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Callum Jones
All Apple devices provide this for free with Find My iPhone, it's free from Apple and can provide the ability to completely lock and disable the device.
Unfortunately not if the device is in flight mode. And the OP admitted it was left in Flight Mode in post #19 .
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Callum Jones
I wasn’t talking about locking the device. I was talking about putting a message on the lock screen to give my contact info in case someone finds it and wants to return it to me. I was responding to the poster who suggested taking a photo of your info and using it on your lockscreen and I said there was an app that did just that.
Originally Posted by Finkface
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
i left an ipad in magazine rack on LHR-KRK flight, and realised before the plane went back. nothing found at KRK "lost n found". 4 days later i went into LHR lost property not expecting anything, and they brought it out to me! had to identify it (login) and i've still got it now

good luck.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:37 am

I wasn’t talking about locking the device. I was talking about putting a message on the lock screen to give my contact info in case someone finds it and wants to return it to me.
Yes, that what he was talking about too - it's called lost mode in Find my iPhone.

As the name suggests, it works best on an iphone though as it needs a signal to the internet. Unless the ipad was a cellular one, this feature isn't really useful (unlike your wallpaper suggestion). But it's clearly worth keeping your iphone off airplane mode in case you leave it behind
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Leaving iPads on aircraft is unfortunately something I'm rather good at ... I'll get caught out eventually but so far the three times I've left it onboard an aircraft ( and not realised in time , several additional times I've run back down the airbridge to grab it !)
  • With BA I left it once on a flight at JFK .. it ended up in Lost and Found there and was able to pick it up on the way back through a few days later ( after having already purchased another one ) .. I didn't have to do anything in particular in this case as it was almost impossible to call them .. it just found its way there and I was able to pick it up again.
  • Also with BA I left it on an aircraft at LCY , realised when I was on the train into town ... called into BA at City Airport who was able to call the gate and get them to ensure the cleaners found it ! - I headed back out to LCY later that day to get it [ The BA staff member got a Golden ticket for that one !]
  • More recently and most impressively I managed to leave two of them ( my one and worse the kid's one!) on a Qatar flight in Doha on a 1 hour connection .. We arrived on a remote stand a long way from the terminal , I realised when on the bus what I'd done ... went straight to the lounge and asked them not holding out much hope for anything other than a lost and found collection when we were passing back through next time .. But they located it , brought it to me within 15 minutes before we had to leave to board the next flight .. that was some seriously impressive service given the size of the airport, the short connection and where the inbound flight was parked.
So .. to the OP there's always hope .. I've tried really hard and never actually managed to completely lose an iPad on a flight !
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:16 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I wasn’t talking about locking the device. I was talking about putting a message on the lock screen to give my contact info in case someone finds it and wants to return it to me. I was responding to the poster who suggested taking a photo of your info and using it on your lockscreen and I said there was an app that did just that.
Actually it was something that I read on here about a year ago that put the idea into my head. I downloaded some App and put a photo of me (no it didn't crack the screen) and one of HI on his devices so that anyone handing it back would know at a glance whose it was together with the phone no and the email address.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Actually it was something that I read on here about a year ago that put the idea into my head. I downloaded some App and put a photo of me (no it didn't crack the screen) and one of HI on his devices so that anyone handing it back would know at a glance whose it was together with the phone no and the email address.
It is a great app. I may have been the one that posted about it last year. Does that earn me a Mucci des Bonne Idées?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
I share your pain - I left my iPad on a flight from DUB -> LCY a couple of years ago. I called up lost property I think and logged it as being left on a flight - they said nothing had been found. Interestingly I called up the next day to see if anything had been found and they said the only iPad that had been found was in the gate waiting area and on a flight back from Glasgow.

Turns out, that I think someone had found it on the return flight from DUB and taken it off and left it on the desk where they check your boarding passes in the gate (the name escapes me!), and I suppose incorrectly logged in the system. However with an accurate description that matched the found iPad it declared mine and it was picked up from LCY.

Don't forget about the "find my iPad" feature it's got if you've got it turned on - allows you to stick a message up on the lock screen and play a sound (if it has an Internet connection) or at the very least wipe it when it does next connect to the Internet if it's not found.

Don't give up hope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.