Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK day trip - purchasing duty free spirits

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
UK day trip - purchasing duty free spirits

Quick question...if I am doing a UK day trip from T5, How do I purchase a bottle of perfume or spirits and not risk losing it when going through security on the way back?

i have a vague recollection of there being some sort of exception if purchase remains in sealed see through plastic bag. Anybody able to clarify?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by d3vski
Quick question...if I am doing a UK day trip from T5, How do I purchase a bottle of perfume or spirits and not risk losing it when going through security on the way back?

i have a vague recollection of there being some sort of exception if purchase remains in sealed see through plastic bag. Anybody able to clarify?
Hi,

Which route are you doing? As some airports you would remain airside after arriving from London. ( ie EDI)

Alcohol prices in the duty free shops may not be as good as buying it on the high street or online- Have you compared the prices?

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:19 am

My experience of the sealed plastic bag was so that we could take the duty free items in the cabin on a subsequent flight without violating the liquids rule (it allowed an exception to this). Its purpose wasn't to bypass the duty regs (in our case anyway).
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Just ask for it to be put into a STEB - one of those secure sealed bags. The receipt must be sealed inside the bag and be visible to be read, because the STEB is basically valid for 24 hours.

The last time I did this (it was a back-to-back to SVG), the checkout operator wanted to see my onward boarding pass from SVG and could not understand what I was on about when I then presented my SVG-LHR boarding pass. I think that was to log the duty-free / tax-free status of the purchase, but she was simultaneously querying why I wanted a STEB. But insistence on having a STEB paid off, and all went well thereafter. (The STEB was actually a just-in-case measure in any event, given the arrangements at SVG.)
armouredant and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Duty Free at LHR offers a collection on arrival service - check their website.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:32 am

As others have commented, ensure it's bagged correctly in the tamper proof bag and receipt attached.

Keep in mind though that 'duty free' is sometimes cheaper in other UK airports, so you may or may not save money by shopping at LHR. Most airports have prices online that you can search anyway.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Duty Free at LHR offers a collection on arrival service - check their website.
I don’t think that works for a domestic arrival tho - you don’t go through the little duty free shop so you can’t pick it up.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Heathrow airport website says that it is available also for travelling within the UK but does not give a pick up point;;
Heathrow Boutique - Collect on Return

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

The Heathrow airport website says that it is available also for travelling within the UK but does not give a pick up point;;
Heathrow Boutique - Collect on Return

Regards

TBS
interesting find. Wonder how that works for uk arrivals then?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
You collect it in arrivals, so don't have to go through Duty Free. I did it in T3 and T5 number of times, even on the back to back without security on the other side. Just to avoid carrying it. Doesn't work for Norway, not EU. Collection desks are the small tills for hotel bookings. You will have description and location on receipt.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:17 am

Does the sealed bag thing still work if the OP is going landside at the other end, ie, not just doing an airside b2b?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by KARFA

interesting find. Wonder how that works for uk arrivals then?

I tried to use that many years ago during the liquids scare because I was unable to buy anything on my outward journey. They wouldn't or couldn't extend it to Transatlantic flights which was annoying. I was hoping to buy some electronics that were on special offer and I had vouchers to use that cut the price even more. Sadly by the time of my next flight it was no longer on sale discounted or otherwise.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I tried to use that many years ago during the liquids scare because I was unable to buy anything on my outward journey. They wouldn't or couldn't extend it to Transatlantic flights which was annoying. I was hoping to buy some electronics that were on special offer and I had vouchers to use that cut the price even more. Sadly by the time of my next flight it was no longer on sale.
The collection on arrival thing only works if the purchase is duty-paid and tax-paid. That's why it can only be used if you're flying to and back from an EU point, and why you can't use it if your trip is to Norway.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Thanks for the replies. I am actually going for work hence why I have to leave the airport and go through security on the way back.

I tend to find that Heathrow prices (on perfumes) are generally competitive if buying the larger versions of the bottle. I just don' want to get stung with an item over 100mls....

and also, I have learnt my lesson with regional airports before where an item I wanted was available at Heathrow but not there on the return hence why I want to commit to buying at Heathrow if possible.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Globaliser
The collection on arrival thing only works if the purchase is duty-paid and tax-paid. That's why it can only be used if you're flying to and back from an EU point, and why you can't use it if your trip is to Norway.
Yeah I figured it was something like that. It was a shame given the fact that if you were flying to the US you couldn't take any hand luggage. I said that I was happy to pay the duty and any taxes because I'd still be saving money on every other price I'd seen but it was still a no go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.