Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Credit card surcharges back again! [applicable to corporate cards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold

In typical BA style of not missing an opportunity to squeeze a few extra pounds out of their customers, it appears that BA have realised that they can still charge credit card surcharges on corporate card transactions! I (or more accurately my employer) have just been stiffed for a £3 or so charge for booking a flight using the BA app on a corporate mastercard...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:27 pm

A lot of companies are doing this; it's not only BA.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
In typical BA style of not missing an opportunity to squeeze a few extra pounds out of their customers, it appears that BA have realised that they can still charge credit card surcharges on corporate card transactions! I (or more accurately my employer) have just been stiffed for a £3 or so charge for booking a flight using the BA app on a corporate mastercard...
You don't have to tell them it's a corporate card, BA system isn't sophisticated enough (at least wasn't in the past) to be able to distinguish automatically, so as long as you don't identify it as such you are good to go without a surcharge.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What does it matter? If a company wants to do its expenses via corporate cards, it will take the extra cost
NeverFirst likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
They never stopped charging for corporate cards. A message has been shown on screen almost from the point that personal cards no longer attracted a charge.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
You don't have to tell them it's a corporate card, BA system isn't sophisticated enough (at least wasn't in the past) to be able to distinguish automatically, so as long as you don't identify it as such you are good to go without a surcharge.
I wouldn't lie to save my employer £5 and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have wanted me to either.
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by madfish
They never stopped charging for corporate cards. A message has been shown on screen almost from the point that personal cards no longer attracted a charge.

Correcy. ba.com states:
  • Credit cards billed in Switzerland and corporate credit cards billed in the UK, Spain and Finland - 1% of the cost of your booking, up to a maximum of £20/€25/CHF 30 per person, per transaction.
  • Credit cards billed in all other countries - no additional charge.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SteveF
I wouldn't lie to save my employer £5 and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have wanted me to either.
Lol. Seriously? That is the most British rule abiding comment ever! Very cute. But seriously, I doubt your employer cares. Though in this country, who knows
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sts603

Lol. Seriously? That is the most British rule abiding comment ever! Very cute. But seriously, I doubt your employer cares. Though in this country, who knows
Yes seriously. I guarantee you that if I asked my employer if they would like me to lie about my CC being a corporate one to save them £5 they would say don’t be stupid.
mickeyjaw likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SteveF

Yes seriously. I guarantee you that if I asked my employer if they would like me to lie about my CC being a corporate one to save them £5 they would say don’t be stupid.
Indeed. I wouldn't even consider even asking if it would like me to try
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:16 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed. I wouldn't even consider even asking if it would like me to try
And the UK wonders why productivity is so low. Everyone running around worrying about rules rather than the bigger picture.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
And the UK wonders why productivity is so low. Everyone running around worrying about rules rather than the bigger picture.
Fraud?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Fraud?
You joking? Fraud ....
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Allow me to quote Fawlty towers: The German guests watch the whole ordeal in disbelief, and one wonders aloud, "However did they win [the war]?"
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:34 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

What does productivity have to do with this?

Seems to me that the most productive course of action when booking a flight with a corporate card and noticing a low credit card fee, is to just pay it and move on to the next task, rather than spending brain cycles figuring out whether there are ways round it, worrying about whether BA is going to notice and punish you later, or asking your manager whether you shoud lie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.