Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow to Washington, advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Heathrow to Washington, advice

Im looking for some advice. Planning to fly LHR-Washington next summer in J. There’s obviously the direct flights to Dulles but I’ve heard it’s miles out. It’s the same price to fly AA to PHL, RDU or ORD and connect and fly into DCA

Suggestions?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
There’s obviously the direct flights to Dulles but I’ve heard it’s miles out. It’s the same price to fly AA to PHL, RDU or ORD and connect and fly into DCA
If you connect somewhere else in the US to get to DCA for the purposes of going to Washington DC itself, I think it's pretty much guaranteed that you will waste more time doing that than travelling in from Dulles (which I think is about the same distance from the city centre as Gatwick is from central London).

If you have other reasons for going on a roundabout route, then that's all very well. But if you're interested in the non-stop to IAD, it's there to take people to that city.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
IAD isn't by far the most pleasant point of entry into the USA. The moon buggies were quite fun 20 or 30 years ago, but they have far outlived their shelf life and immigration can be very, very slow.
However if your final destination is Washington, I doubt that the inconveniencies of IAD outweigh transiting to domestic flights in another US airport.
wrp96 and rjruiz like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assuming you aren't in World Traveller (and this forum must be the only place where we can make these assumptions!) then have a look at BWI now that it is on the 787s. Weekdays it is well connected by good public transport to Washington, the experience in the air will be good, and the point to point time - depending on your precise location in Washington - is likely to be excellent. Immigration one of the best in the USA. PHL is also on a fairly good train service to Washington so will normally beat IAD, but while my experiences through immigration at PHL have been great others here have had slowness getting out. Still, it will be faster than IAD's drawn out processes. DCA is lovely, so long as it isn't whacked by bad weather. You're out the door and on to the world's most over-spec'd metro system in minutes. Love it. But that means changing somewhere and unless there is some splurge factor (e.g. LCY-JFK) it's going to be less hassle spread out over a longer time (and therefore worse).

Can't see where ORD fits in here, but it's not a great place to transfer, CLT is about the best, but that means flying past and back again. RDU, well you'll be out landside in minutes, very swift, and you may have some empty seats around you in any cabin, but unless you're in the BigPharma / naval line of business it's probably not the best option. It's great if you want to get somewhere within an hour of RDU but frankly I'm surprised that service limps on.

If in WT then I'd be angling for an A380 upper deck service to IAD and forgive everything else!
GLA and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
To me it depends from if you plan to use public or private transit to reach your hotel/home, how much luggage you will have, where in Washington you're going to stay and if there are kids involved.
IAD is served well enough by public transit, but there are connection involved: the metro doesn't arrive at the airport and you have to get a bus to the first available station. Or there are direct buses going to l'Enfant Plaza where to connect to the metro, if I recall correctly. Any way, 1 hr or less and you're in town.
DCA is 3/4 metro stops from Washington, and there are shuttle bus available for many of the hotel in crystal city (more convenient area in term of hotel prices). Taxi fare are of course less from there than from IAD.

About IAD immigration: I was there on the 24th December, almost ahead of a full A380 as I learned here the right moon buggy manoeuvre , and I was through in 5 minutes. Then I had to wait 45 min for the bag to show...
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:37 am

Go to Dulles direct every time.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
My experience in and out of Dulles was fine.

I took the Silverline express bus to connect with the metro and then the metro into the city

The journey time would have been less than the transit time (around 45 minutes to 1 hour).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As already noted, a lot hinges on where in Washington the OP is heading. Will he/she be renting a car, or relying on Public Transport/Taxis? And how are they getting on with the Metro connection? We haven't been through for 2 years, but it was starting to look close to completion.

I confess we've had no real difficulties at IAD in the last few years, but a lot hinges on where you're sitting on the aircraft. Getting off quickly, and getting into the right place on the 'People Eater', makes a LOT of difference to the immigration process. And we always rent a car, because we tend to stay out in the suburbs rather than in central DC.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
As already noted, a lot hinges on where in Washington the OP is heading. Will he/she be renting a car, or relying on Public Transport/Taxis? And how are they getting on with the Metro connection? We haven't been through for 2 years, but it was starting to look close to completion.
I just looked it up as was wondering that is surely must be nearly finished. The new section which passes IAD won't be open until 2020 at the earliest.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
IAD is not the worse starting point for arrival to D.C., but I personally prefer to change elsewhere and arrive at DCA. Can’t offer any real justification for this. If you’ve not done IAD before it might be worth it for the buggie ride.
My next visit is via BWI precisely to use the 787, engines permitting.
I’m pretty much always bus/metro rather than cab, so perhaps that’s why I favour DCA.The Washington metro is fabulous, the stations all feel like giant caves, Little sense of claustrophobia.
ORD RDU no, PHL or JFK for me if you settle on DCA.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I just looked it up as was wondering that is surely must be nearly finished. The new section which passes IAD won't be open until 2020 at the earliest.
Same project management philosophy as BER?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by dougzz

Same project management philosophy as BER?
Whoah, let’s not go crazy
dougzz likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'd have to look it up, but I think an Uber from Dulles to DCA is about $40-50 and takes 40 minutes or so, it's not a big deal. You can also hire a car at Dulles and it's a pretty easy drive into town.

For choice - and this is a trip I do a fair amount - I'd always fly into Dulles. I've occasionally routed through DCA when I'm visiting Boston on the way in or out, but I'd rather come in direct.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell

Suggestions?
Please don't ask the same question in multiple fora of FT, as it is against the rules of use.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Assuming you aren't in World Traveller (and this forum must be the only place where we can make these assumptions!) then have a look at BWI now that it is on the 787s. Weekdays it is well connected by good public transport to Washington, the experience in the air will be good, and the point to point time - depending on your precise location in as Washington - is likely to be excellent. Immigration one of the best in the USA. PHL is also on a fairly good train service to Washington so will normally beat IAD, but while my experiences through immigration at PHL have been great others here have had slowness getting out. Still, it will be faster than IAD's drawn out processes. DCA is lovely, so long as it isn't whacked by bad weather. You're out the door and on to the world's most over-spec'd metro system in minutes. Love it. But that means changing somewhere and unless there is some splurge factor (e.g. LCY-JFK) it's going to be less hassle spread out over a longer time (and therefore worse).

Can't see where ORD fits in here, but it's not a great place to transfer, CLT is about the best, but that means flying past and back again. RDU, well you'll be out landside in minutes, very swift, and you may have some empty seats around you in any cabin, but unless you're in the BigPharma / naval line of business it's probably not the best option. It's great if you want to get somewhere within an hour of RDU but frankly I'm surprised that service limps on.

If in WT then I'd be angling for an A380 upper deck service to IAD and forgive everything else!
As far as I’m aware, BA doesn’t fly the A380 to IAD anymore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.