Search

Alex Cruz interview - Mail on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Alex Cruz interview - Mail on Sunday

Cruz control: BA's (Spanish) boss speaks out | Daily Mail Online

A suprisingly lengthy piece in the Financial section with Alex Cruz. Talking about his background, the issues of last year, and how 2018 "is the year we sort ourselves out"

My favourite piece - 'Cruz claims he is not a cost-cutter. "People thought I was going to cut costs, cut costs, cut costs and were quite taken aback when I didn't"'

Well if taking flowers out of the toilets wasn't cost-cutting it must have been for health & safety reasons.......
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HHarry
Cruz control: BA's (Spanish) boss speaks out Daily Mail Online

A suprisingly lengthy piece in the Financial section with Alex Cruz. Talking about his background, the issues of last year, and how 2018 "is the year we sort ourselves out"

My favourite piece - 'Cruz claims he is not a cost-cutter. "People thought I was going to cut costs, cut costs, cut costs and were quite taken aback when I didn't"'

Well if taking flowers out of the toilets wasn't cost-cutting it must have been for health & safety reasons.......
There is no doubt he has been heavily cost-cutting, remember cost-cutting is in the DNA!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
No mention of the slimline seats and reduction in pitch?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:36 am

Could it be that he has been cost-cutting and increasing investment during the same period?
Sealink and florens like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Some
The admission that the new J class layout will have 'fewer seats' is promising.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: BA gold
Hmm. The change in sentiment is good news, but why the need to deny past cost cutting?

Originally Posted by Cruz
We’re always going to be reducing costs, but there’s no more programs. It’s now injected into the DNA. If one particular day we don’t come up with an idea to reduce our costs, then we’re not doing our job.
Source: https://skift.com/2017/01/11/british...egacy-airline/

Originally Posted by DailyMail
Walsh is now running IAG, but Cruz claims he is not a cost-cutter. ‘People thought I was going to cut costs, cut costs, cut costs and were quite taken aback when I didn’t,’
LostAntipod and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:59 am
Suspended

Hi everyone, I am a new stand up comedian. Here is the my one liner for the best joke of Flyertalk annual competition.

Alex Cruz said he isn't a cost cutter. Says the man who cut the service to the bone.
sgm, Crampedin13A, stevie and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I don’t see how this is promising; less supply for the same, or possibly greater, demand usually leads to increased prices.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
“There is no intention to put up prices”

one of the oldest verbal slights of hand in the book... “well we didn’t intend to, but we had to”... ultimate non-commital answer that sounds definitive.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Only if you fly J. The majority of people that fly BA, fly economy, and making it tougher for them is only going push overall ratings down, no matter how vocal the Club rabble are about nice meals, fluffy pillows and free glug. BA has a problem; that it is no longer competitive for service with most national carriers, because it is trying to be competitive with low cost carriers. Their fleet is getting old though, so some low cost carriers like Norwegian with spanking new aircraft are knocking it out the park while BA sits in no-mans land not quite sure what demographic their product is aimed at.
sgm, shefgab, passy777 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965

I don’t see how this is promising; less supply for the same, or possibly greater, demand usually leads to increased prices.
If fares do rise for a better product, then so be it - I would much rather have a decent product versus CW today. All aisle access and wifi throughout the fleet are the minimum standards required to compete.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by flyuk
Only if you fly J. The majority of people that fly BA, fly economy, and making it tougher for them is only going push overall ratings down, no matter how vocal the Club rabble are about nice meals, fluffy pillows and free glug. BA has a problem; that it is no longer competitive for service with most national carriers, because it is trying to be competitive with low cost carriers. Their fleet is getting old though, so some low cost carriers like Norwegian with spanking new aircraft are knocking it out the park while BA sits in no-mans land not quite sure what demographic their product is aimed at.
I'm not so sure about that. DY also have been in the press - for significant financial stresses due to their rapid expansion.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:36 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I’m just pleased to see the fluorescent jacket is apparently getting so much use ...
psollitt, shefgab, Stez and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Some of us would rather have a vaguely competitive J product than one with loads of Avios availability.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
Could it be that he has been cost-cutting and increasing investment during the same period?
Well the cost line can only go in one direction at once...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.