Wiki Posts
Search

Which T5 Lounge with a baby

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Which T5 Lounge with a baby

Hello all,

In the hope to avoid the dreaded glares of disgruntled passengers can anyone suggest the best lounge at T5 and perhaps even best part of that lounge to set up camp with a 3 month old baby tomorrow night. We're flying to JNB in Club so suspect it'll be from a B or C gate, so I was thinking the B lounge might be a better bet.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The obvious suggestion from me is to sit in the ex-Concorde chairs in the meeting room on the CCR and put the baby on the conference table and play with him/her. This is out of the way of most passengers yet still going to wind up the self-entitled crowd

If you only have access to the Club lounges, I think GC South has a kids area (soundproofed, kiddified decor and some toys) where your child can exercise their lungs without being highly audible. I've also seen (but not heard) grown adults exercise their lungs into a mobile telephone in there without any children, in a free and frank exchange of views.

I think either place would allow you a reasonable chance of peace and quiet.

Otherwise, just find a quiet corner to sit with a drink and child and screw the glarer-ers. I think the T5B lounge has a lot of quieter seating to your right as you enter, keep going in that direction.
mediamonkey likes this.

Last edited by flatlander; Jan 28, 2018 at 5:39 am
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
the obvious suggestion from me is to sit in the ex-concorde chairs in the meeting room on the ccr and put the baby on the conference table and play with him/her. This is out of the way of most passengers yet still going to wind up the self-entitled crowd
I love this idea!!

Last edited by mediamonkey; Jan 28, 2018 at 5:32 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
As some one who is not in the least child friendly I still say just go to whatever lounge you want to go to.

you are just as entitled to use the longer as anyone else.

and if anyone glares just glare back!
cruisr, peanut77, capin and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think you should go to whichever one that's the easiest for you to get to and find it most comfortable.

I don't think many people would actually glare at you or your baby unless you somehow make no effort with your baby but given what you've said, that sounds highly unlikely!

The obvious suggestion from me is to sit in the ex-Concorde chairs in the meeting room on the CCR and put the baby on the conference table and play with him/her.
There are two major flaws in that plan.
1) ex-Concorde chairs are no more
2) The place is likely to be occupied by a loud mobile phone/Skype/Facetime talker who will disturb the baby. The baby will end up having to learn to glare at the annoying adult.
mediamonkey, FlyingFig and Dambus like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'd say the B gate lounge - and park yourself in the corner next to the play room.

1) No one seems to realise that corner of the lounge exists - even parents with kids of a more appropriate age for the playroom - grr!!!!
2) If the baby gets a bit restless, you can go into the play room & close the door behind you.
3) There's a well stocked, little used wine bar down there for the benefit of Mum & Dad
4) You're convenient for the toilets.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I'd say the B gate lounge - and park yourself in the corner next to the play room.
3) There's a well stocked, little used wine bar down there for the benefit of Mum & Dad
This is someone who has their priorities straight! Best advice yet! Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
1) ex-Concorde chairs are no more
Curses! Foiled again!

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony

1) No one seems to realise that corner of the lounge exists - even parents with kids of a more appropriate age for the playroom - grr!!!!
2) If the baby gets a bit restless, you can go into the play room & close the door behind you.
4) You're convenient for the toilets.
Definitely sounds like the best plan to me.
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
I too would go for the B gates lounge for the reasons mentioned already. I would just add that all 3 T5 club lounges have children's areas, and at that departure time I would take a guess that they will all be quietening off. I am very sure all of you including baby will be just fine in the lounge of your choice.
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:55 am

I know that there are only 2 high chairs in south galleries.
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
This is someone who has their priorities straight! Best advice yet! Thanks
I live to serve.
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AA PLT
Speaking as a new first-time parent about to face the same problem (also going to JNB), I'm still amazed by the amount of parenapalia required to move around with a 3 month old. The main flaw in going to the T5B lounge is if the flight departs from T5C (which the BA 55 definitely will). So two train rides, up and down from the platform twice... If on the A380 wouldn't a quiet area in one of the T5A lounges save all that?
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:57 am

I still find it very sad that a parent has to ask this (or about travelling in J or F with a baby). But maybe your question says more about you than those that don't ask. Most of the children (my own included) have been teething/hungry/tired/tetchy/dribbling when flying but THAT doesn't matter to me. What matters, is the reaction/action/attention the parents are giving. I really (and I mean REALLY) don't mind if your babe in arms is screaming at take off/landing - as long as you are doing what you can/feel is appropriate to make that babe's journey as comfortable as yours.

Take your babe and all of you enjoy the lounge and flight. Don't worry about those that frown or gasp. As long as you are attending to any obvious needs then no one needs to worry, least of all you.
mediamonkey and Dambus like this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The obvious suggestion from me is to sit in the ex-Concorde chairs in the meeting room on the CCR
Sadly the original Concorde chairs were removed from the Boardroom during last year's refresh.
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:17 pm

T5A First Lounge on the balcony, should be easy enough to secure one couch area (the first one to the right for example). Lots of space for a baby to crawl and usually not as crowded as inside.
mediamonkey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.