Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No More Repeat Bonuses: Amex Limiting UK Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Repeat Bonuses: Amex Limiting UK Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by ringingup
I think it's fare to say that nothing has changed yet. For now, they are just seemingly reliable rumours coming from the call centre itself.

Until the terms are officially changed, I don't see why things shouldn't still be as they are now.
Let's hope that they keep them as they are... I'm looking to book a flight in two weeks before cancelling (not to cheat the system, just won't be needing it for the next 11 months) :P
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by etiene
My big question is whether the Blue and Black BA cards count as the same going forward. I've had the Blue one once [and could apply again today for either] but was planning on waiting on getting the Black until the 25k Avios would come in really handy. Don't know if I'd be best able to use the 241 at present, so am less motivated by that in the short term. Obviously that plan's scuppered if it's just "either BA card", but doesn't seem like anyone knows at this stage...?
BAPP is currently 25K
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by cornishsimon

To be honest, without the supermarket spend bonus bonus that was previously available in the first year I don’t think that the current offering justifies the yearly fee once the account is chargeable
I agree and IIRC there was also a bonus on fuel purchases making buying petrol at a supermarket a pretty points-lucrative exercise. When both went the card became pretty unattractive to me.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Originally Posted by womble88
These are the Ts&Cs still on the website, its been 6 months and a week since my wife cancelled her card, she has applied today and will let you know how it goes! Will be annoyed if they don't abide by their own Ts&Cs, they should at least update them if they really have made a change.The Preferred Rewards Gold Card

REFERRAL PROGRAMME TERMS

1. You will receive 9,000 bonus Membership Rewards points if your friend or family member uses the Referral Programme to apply for a card (other than a Basic Card) and is approved. You will not receive any points if they apply for a Basic Card.
  2. Only friends and family: You must only send the referral link to close friends and family. We will not discuss the outcome of your friend or family member’s card application.
  3. Ask their permission first: Please don’t spam. Before sharing the referral link with your friend or family member, you must ensure you have obtained their consent to receiving this type of marketing communication. Sending emails to people without consent is considered spam.
  4. Your friend or family member must apply using the referral link you share with them.
  5. You must have a Preferred Rewards Gold Card Account to receive bonus points.
  6. It may take up to ten weeks for the bonus points to be credited to your account, if your friend or family member’s card application is successful.
  7. You can earn up to a maximum of 90,000 bonus points per calendar year.
  8. If you do not comply with these terms, you could lose your bonus points and you will be excluded from participating in the Preferred Rewards Gold Card Referral Programme in future.
  9. If payments to your Preferred Rewards Gold Card Account are not kept up to date, you could lose your bonus points.
Important Information
  • If your friend or family member holds or has held in the past six months the card they are applying for, then they will not receive bonus Membership Rewards, Avios, Starpoints, Nectar points or cashback (as applicable).
  • If your friend or family member holds or has held in the past six months a card with the same reward scheme as the card they are applying for, then they will not receive bonus Membership Rewards, Avios, Starpoints, Nectar points or cashback (as applicable).
  • You can receive up to 90,000 Membership Rewards® points per calendar year when you refer your friends for a Card. That's enough for an Economy return flight from London to Sydney. Terms, taxes, and fees apply. You’ll only earn points if your friend is approved for a Card. This destination is representative only and all routes are subject to seasonality and availability. London to Sydney costs 65,000 Avios for an off-peak return Economy flight.
As an update my wife received her gold card today and the referral points posted immediately so clearly it still works until they officially announce that the party is over!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
On a slight side-track, does anyone know if it is possible to get a referral bonus for referring yourself for a different AMEX?

I currently hold the Platinum card but I'm thinking of taking out a BAPP to earn a 241 and also a gold for the double MR on airfares when I fly with airlines other than BA. If I can get 2 x 18k MR then that would be the icing on the cake.

If not, then I'll get a friend to refer me from her PRG instead and let her have the 2 x 9k MR from that...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
Always compare any referral bonus with the cashback you'd otherwise get from Topcashback.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by richi
Always compare any referral bonus with the cashback you'd otherwise get from Topcashback.
Sure but 18k MR per card (floor value of £90 when used for statement credit) sure beats £45 for a BAPP or £10 for a PRG, assuming that self-referral actually works.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:05 am

I moved from the UK to Australia recently and I am SHOCKED at how sparse credit card sign-up bonuses are....in Australia most banks will give anywhere from 50,000-100,000 sign-up bonus (an avios is roughly equivalent to a QFF point - at least for SYD-LHR). There is also A LOT to choose from and churn. Yet in the UK the sign-up bonuses are extremely low and now it might be once in a life time? Very odd and a completely different market. I'm guessing the only upside to this is I'm guessing BA reward booking availability is much better than Qantas, where it can be very difficult to book any long-haul flight on a business or first ticket unless it's a year in advance (or very last-minute openings).

I hope the state of play changes soon!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
Blame the EU's new-ish interchange fee cap. And the court ruling that dragged Amex into it.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Blame the EU's new-ish interchange fee cap. And the court ruling that dragged Amex into it.
It was like this even before that piece of legislation was introduced.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:30 am

It was like this even before that piece of legislation was introduced
But now it's just that little bit worse
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by APUBleed
I'm guessing the only upside to this is I'm guessing BA reward booking availability is much better than Qantas, where it can be very difficult to book any long-haul flight on a business or first ticket unless it's a year in advance (or very last-minute openings).
Prepare yourself for a shock...
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
what are the possibility of it being repealed by UK government after March 2019?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bmibaby737

what are the possibility of it being repealed by UK government after March 2019?
Zero.

Because obviously repealing a law which will push up shop prices purely to make Visa and Mastercard richer is a massive vote winner.
richi likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:33 pm
inY

So this is all still just a rumor? And empirically people have gotten referral bonuses if not spend bonuses.
Site still says: "I understand I will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if I hold or have held any Membership Rewards enrolled American Express Card in the past six months." https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...GoldCreditCard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.