FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No More Repeat Bonuses: Amex Limiting UK Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1890008-no-more-repeat-bonuses-amex-limiting-uk-credit-card-sign-up-bonuses.html)

Pearcey606 Jan 23, 2018 10:54 am

No More Repeat Bonuses: Amex Limiting UK Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses

Saw this over on GodSaveThePoints and it ruined my day, I am just about finished with my AMEX Gold Preferred card, and was about to apply for the BA Amex again... This is very disappointing news if true!

No More Repeat Bonuses: Amex Limiting UK Credit Card Sign Up Bonuses... - God Save The Points

Thought many people on here would be interested in this, as Avios earning just got much harder... Again.

Cheers

Pearcey606

710 77345 Jan 23, 2018 10:58 am

How unsurprising. A handful of people are eating goose tonight.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c4db0fc246.jpg

Pearcey606 Jan 23, 2018 11:02 am

Unsurprising, yes, but sad all the same... I'm a real newbie to this game, so I only got to take advantage of two sign up bonuses so far :(

rossmacd Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Pearcey606 (Post 29329409)
....so I only got to take advantage of two sign up bonuses so far :(

Therein lies the problem.

Pearcey606 Jan 23, 2018 11:17 am

Well, yes and because of this loophole it was inevitably going to happen.
However, AMEX have known about this for years and have just now decided to do something about it.

Anyway, I'm marginally miffed at the timing, but just thought I should put it up here so at least people are aware.

mmxbreaks Jan 23, 2018 11:36 am

Well that's pants :(

mike&co Jan 23, 2018 11:40 am

Also reported / discussed on our own Raffles web site.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2018/0...term-spending/

gate4lounge Jan 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Amex churning....RIP :(:(

cornishsimon Jan 23, 2018 12:41 pm

SO is this actually confirmed or still just speculation ?

cs

CCayley Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pearcey606 (Post 29329358)
Avios earning just got much harder... Again.

Oh I don't know; you could maybe try taking a paid flight or something?

Anyway, good to see another of these dodgy abuses curtailed.

T8191 Jan 23, 2018 12:50 pm

I wonder why Amex decided to do that?

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

I have zero sympathy for card-churners, I'm afraid. Extracting the urine had to end one day.

CrazyJ82 Jan 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Not being an expert on these things, my first thought is to wonder if this is related to the new regulation barring credit-card fees that people seemed to be so excited about a few weeks ago. I believe Amex is not directly affected by that. But if that regulation is changing the economics of card offers for MC and Visa issuers, making them less likely to offer their own generous sign-up bonuses, miles-earning opportunities or so on, Amex can't help but notice that perhaps it doesn't need to be quite so generous with sign-up bonuses to keep up. Certainly this rather increases the value of the 2-4-1 (and the PP card with the annual fee, more generous earn, and lower threshold for the 2-4-1), doesn't it? If you can't get the generous sign-up bonuses to inflate the Avios balance, you might as well aim to get the voucher to reduce the number of Avios you need for a given trip.

pauldb Jan 23, 2018 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82 (Post 29329923)
Not being an expert on these things, my first thought is to wonder if this is related to the new regulation barring credit-card fees that people seemed to be so excited about a few weeks ago. I believe Amex is not directly affected by that.

Any co-branded card is affected by the new rules and interchange fee cap: the BA cards, SPG card, etc. Only the Amex branded cards (Plat, Gold, etc) escape this.

On the broader thread, I can only see the Amex application and referral pages showing the old 6 month rule. The rules may be changing but if I applied today I would fully expect the bonus under the old rule.

mike&co Jan 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 29329869)
I wonder why Amex decided to do that?

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

I have zero sympathy for card-churners, I'm afraid. Extracting the urine had to end one day.

I have to agree with you. I have read about serial churners taking out a number of cards, in particular the platinum cards for the huge bonus and hotel status that comes with them then ditching the card soon after the qualifying spend has been achieved. This clearly saves the vast majority of the £450 annual fee whilst the hotel status remains in place. I have no sympathy and it’s probably down to the “abusers of the system” that the policy is likely to change.

dougzz Jan 23, 2018 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by mike&co (Post 29330065)

I have to agree with you. I have read about serial churners taking out a number of cards, in particular the platinum cards for the huge bonus and hotel status that comes with them then ditching the card soon after the qualifying spend has been achieved. This clearly saves the vast majority of the £450 annual fee whilst the hotel status remains in place. I have no sympathy and it’s probably down to the “abusers of the system” that the policy is likely to change.

This forum is full of advice to game airline pricing, yet Amex gaming is abuse?