Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If I buy a vacation package in Club World can I upgrade to F for a leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

My goal is to fly a 747 in F, from Heathrow as part of a Europe trip, back to the west coast US (PHX, or LAX). I want to fly in the nose, and try the CCR. I would try to book an award F ticket from LHR, but getting to Europe becomes exorbitantly expensive since I don't have enough points for a round trip ticket (one way ex-US in business is expensive on all the carriers I've tried)

So that leads me to upgrades. I normally book CW and have gotten some good deals from "AAvacations". If I do that, can I upgrade a Club ticket to F with points? I have AA miles, but can also transfer Amex points into Avios. If not, if I wait for the CW 2-for-1 sales that they run periodically from the US (where you get two for about $5000), can I upgrade those fares?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If you pay for CW and there is first redemption availability , then you can use avios to upgrade to first in either direction
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Gig103
My goal is to fly a 747 in F, from Heathrow as part of a Europe trip, back to the west coast US (PHX, or LAX). I want to fly in the nose, and try the CCR. I would try to book an award F ticket from LHR, but getting to Europe becomes exorbitantly expensive since I don't have enough points for a round trip ticket (one way ex-US in business is expensive on all the carriers I've tried)

So that leads me to upgrades. I normally book CW and have gotten some good deals from "AAvacations". If I do that, can I upgrade a Club ticket to F with points? I have AA miles, but can also transfer Amex points into Avios. If not, if I wait for the CW 2-for-1 sales that they run periodically from the US (where you get two for about $5000), can I upgrade those fares?
Hi,

If you want to fly to PHX or LAS , these 2 flights leave from Terminal 3 ( not T5) and T 3 does not have a CCR ( it does have the Cathay and Qantas lounges which are very good)
LAX does leave from T 5

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I normally book CW and have gotten some good deals from "AAvacations". If I do that, can I upgrade a Club ticket to F with points? I have AA miles, but can also transfer Amex points into Avios.
Whether an AA Vacations booking can be upgraded with AA miles would be a question for AAdvantage or the AA forum. I would expect the answer to be probably not but I could be wrong…

As for Avios; only BA/125 issued tickets can be upgraded using Avios under BAEC. You cannot use Avios to upgrade a ticket issued by any other airline.

If not, if I wait for the CW 2-for-1 sales that they run periodically from the US (where you get two for about $5000), can I upgrade those fares?
Yup; all CW fares sold directly by BA can be upgraded, including those part of a BA Holidays package (the equivalent of AA Vacations). Most, but not all fares sold by travel agents and issued as BA/125 can be upgraded.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:12 pm

Remember that a mixed carrier travel agent bookings can NOT be upgraded, even on 125 stock. They can be upgraded if sold by BA.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond

They might’ve gotten lucky but this last June my grandparents upgraded an AA vacations purchased Club World ticket to first on BA289. They did this at the airport though so maybe that had something to do with it. 6 of us were already in first with AA vacations tickets and there were enough empty seats for the 2 of them to upgrade and join us. I forget what it cost them (i think around £500 pp but not positive) but I do know it took almost an hour for them to be re-ticketed at the counter. I know this doesn’t help you if you want something secured in advance but thought I’d let you know.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's time to open a BAEC account so I can check availability and shop BA's vacation packages too.

Is there a way to see the availability when booking, and upgrade as soon as we are ticketed via MMB? I'd be looking at two seats (the Mrs. and I) which is probably challenging.
Swampz64 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
For what it's worth, Club World rows 62 and 64 on the upper deck are probably more interesting than First.

I was greatly excited to be upgraded to first from LHR to LAS, but the service was pretty mediocre.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Is there a way to see the availability when booking, and upgrade as soon as we are ticketed via MMB? I'd be looking at two seats (the Mrs. and I) which is probably challenging.
If booking flight only you can actually book the upgrade all in one transaction when logged into BAEC; look for the option to Upgrade using Avios.

You can also just check Avios availability for regular award bookings (it's the same inventory).

If you do book a package then you would need to book that first then call to upgrade as a second step, but at least you can verify award availability first.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA

If booking flight only you can actually book the upgrade all in one transaction when logged into BAEC; look for the option to Upgrade using Avios.

You can also just check Avios availability for regular award bookings (it's the same inventory).

If you do book a package then you would need to book that first then call to upgrade as a second step, but at least you can verify award availability first.
Thanks JAX. As I'm new to BAEC, can you clarify the second point - do I understand correctly that if I do a dummy booking for two F awards, then the same flight would have "Upgrade using Avios"?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Yes, exactly.

the unofficial BARedemptionFinder.com tool is also a quick and dirty way to search.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:50 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The OP should probably be aware that award space to the US in premium cabins is scarce, and relying on it as a strategy to get into F may well not be successful.

Whilst equally not guaranteed, the AUP (Airport Upgrade Price) route of asking for an upgrade cost at the airport check-in desk may yield a better result. If the trip needs to be taken anyway, it’s a no-risk option. If the sole purpose is to fly in F, then it’s not something I’d personally chance though.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Agree that it will take a lot of planning but you can usually find *something* if you're moderately flexible with your dates, use the right tools and, as a last resort, book very early indeed. For instance, most days in August are possible to PHX. SJC should be manageable with some flexibility; LAX is hard work but not impossible. But definitely check before buying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.