Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Attire

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:08 am

As far as I'm concerned, anything that is acceptable to wear in a public place is acceptable for the lounge.

The days when travel involved aspiring to belong to some kind of elite club with mostly male members (see what I did there ) are long gone, thankfully.

That said, anyone that chooses to dress in a way that is unusual (whatever that might be) should expect to attract some attention. If people are not comfortable getting such looks (be they admiring or disapproving) then they should consider dressing in a way that causes them to blend in more. If they don't mind, or even like the attention, then good for them. Keep at it!
RolfD likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: Meow Mix
I wear jeans and a grey tshirt when I travel, on most meetings and most client sites.

I do get the occasional douche who stares and/or tuts/shakes their head. I have learned to shrug it off and respond appropriately (either through a middle finger if appropriate or a reciprocated tut or head shake).
RolfD likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I know that Qantas does have a policy for their domestic lounges but it doesn't specifically exclude shorts, except perhaps in the context of head to toe gym wear: https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...ines/global/en
Gym wear is fine... I try and fit training runs in by dumping my bag on a colleague and running from the arrival airport into town so that means I end up in the departure lounge in "gym kit". I certainly wouldn't make anybody suffer my post run kit but pre-run seems legit... this is in Australia though where one can wander into a servo in your sluggos and nobody bats an eye...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The Executive Lounge at ANU is a contract lounge. While most airline lounges don't seem to have a dress code (cf. QF), I have been in a few non-airline affiliated lounges over the years that have had a dress code that was enforced. But as Palmer noted above, if you were admitted to the lounge then your attire was acceptable and I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't care what anyone else thought.
Some lounge dress codes:
https://www.executivelounges.com/blo...our-dress-code
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...ines/global/en
I almost find it hard to believe that the Executive Lounges' dress code is real. Sounds more like boarding-school regulations
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
It makes my mind wander back to the Officers Mess dress code of the 60s. IIRC it was ... Lounge Suit in the evening on Mon, Tue, Thu. Sports Jacket or Blazer and Flannels on Wed, Fri. Can't quite remember the weekend code, but I suspect relaxed on only one evening.

It was accepted as the norm for gentlemen
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:58 am

For chaps I hardly think a collar, long trousers and proper shoes is asking too much. I would feel more comfortable in a lounge if fellow passengers were dressed elegantly and appeared to have put some effort into their appearance.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
Gym wear is fine... I try and fit training runs in by dumping my bag on a colleague and running from the arrival airport into town so that means I end up in the departure lounge in "gym kit". I certainly wouldn't make anybody suffer my post run kit but pre-run seems legit... this is in Australia though where one can wander into a servo in your sluggos and nobody bats an eye...
you are making sluggos up.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:05 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, we seem to have drifted some considerable distance from anything BA related, where at least we started with a visit to the designated lounge in ANU.

Perhaps we might find some BA ground to justify the thread remaining open in this forum? .

Most outrageous attire seen in a BA lounge, perhaps? (Although this under stipulation that my choice of clothing is excluded ... .)

/mod
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Talking

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
For chaps I hardly think a collar, long trousers and proper shoes is asking too much. I would feel more comfortable in a lounge if fellow passengers were dressed elegantly and appeared to have put some effort into their appearance.
Nice one, you nearly had me going there!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
At the Yorkshire Premier Lounge at LBA it is jakcet, shirt, and tie during the week.
Unless you turn right at the front desk. 😉
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
Personally, I would be very happy if airline lounges refused entry to those wearing shorts. I would also like hotel lounges to police their - often quite strict - evening dress requirements more determinedly. As it happens, I also would like it to be the 1950s. But they haven't, they don't, and it isn't. As such, do as you please ^
seconded, someth8ng between Rees-Mogg and Gove look would be optimal, perhaps with a slight twist towards the eccentric 20’s with Great Gatsby. Certainly no short, t-shirts, or God forbid, flip flops!
crazyanglaisy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I find that a pair of XL Soft Cotton complimentary pyjamas topped off with a nightcap made from a Club World amenity drawstring bag, and with a GOLD baggage tab prominently attached to the waistband never fails to strike the right tone in the executive lounge. Marks you out as someone well travelled and with plenty of je ne sais quoi, savoir faire and PdTs (points de terre)

Make sure you have a pocket for the kettle crisps though.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
My personal favourite was a young lady in GF T5, on her BA connecting flight. She was still wearing her Virgin Atlantic pajamas from UC. I assume it was that which was causing all the attention she was getting. I don't think it was dirty looks as such, but some may have misinterpreted it so.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
One word why?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by RolfD

One word why?
Because it shows that people care and have certain level of class about them. Nobody likes spending time with riffraff less then I do...
thijsseh and HarbourGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.